Say You Love Me by Johanna Lindsey

Say You Love Me (edition 2007)

by Johanna Lindsey

Member:celauer
Title:Say You Love Me
Authors:Johanna Lindsey
Info:Avon (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Romance, Johanna Lindsey, Malory Novels

Say You Love Me by Johanna Lindsey

I couldn't put this book down. I stayed up late last night to finish this book. I knew if I had tried to go to sleep I wouldn't because I wanted to reach the ending of this book. I also realized that this is the first book I had ever read by Johanna Lindsey. It had be about 10 years or more since I read this and I still loved it this time around.

Say You Love Me is the romance of Derek Malory, heir to the Marquis of Haverston and Kelsey Langton. Kelsey is a lady but Derek does not know this when he purchases her at an auction just to thwarts Lord Ashford who is known to beat his whores.

Kelsey is talked into selling herself to help her uncle avoid the creditors. She has to lie and she knows that once she does this she will never be able to marry. She has to tell a story of why she talks and acts like a lady.

When they start falling in love with each other it is interesting. And seeing Derek's Uncles James and Tony noticing how much Derek is smitten with Kelsey. Only one family member learns the truth and that is Reggie. She knew when she first met Kelsey at the dress makers that they would be great friends.

Lord Ashford kidnaps Kelsey as she is leaving the dressmakers one day. Luckily James has his butler tailing Lord Ashford and know that he has taken a woman. When James learns about it and hears the description he knows it has to be Kelsey. This is when I just couldn't stop reading. I needed to reach the end and know what would happen to Kelsey and Derek.

I cannot wait to read the next book in this series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jun 4, 2014 |
Typical Lindsey historical. Overblown emotional yarn with great characters. Quick read. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
It is not the best Malory novel, but it is still a Malory. And as far as unrealistic, Hello!!!! Who wants realistic? I am looking for an escape from reality. I want the impossible to be possible. Maybe it's just me. Derek is one of my favorite Malory's as we have known him from the start, Kelsey is exactly who I had seen him ending up with. I thought she was more Jeremy's type. ( )
  StacyLHanson | Sep 19, 2011 |
Brief Synopsis: Kelsey Langton and her younger sister are living with her aunt and uncle since their parents' deaths. Late one night, Kelsey's uncle confides that their fortune is gone, and they are ruined if he cannot pay his debts. He offers one suggestion for how she can save her younger sister: become the mistress of a wealthy lord. Lord Derek Malory cannot believe his eyes when he sees a young woman being auctioned to the highest bidder. When Lord David Ashford ups the bidding, Derek decides to win her at all costs, knowing Ashford to be brutal to women. He realizes Ashford will beat her and wants to save her. Derek does not know she is a gentle-born lady with a respectable family, and no one is more surprised than he when he falls in love. But how can he save her from Lord Ashford, who is determined to get his revenge?

The Verdict: If you've read the synopsis, then you have an idea of how ridiculous the story is. It's not realistic in the least, and is certainly not the best historical romance you'll likely read. The dialogue is iffy; sometimes it seems authentic, but other times it's awkward and does not seem historically accurate in the least. Due to the nature of their relationship, sex occurs before they fall in love. There was one sex scene (Kelsey's first time), but their other exploits were not elaborated on. It's unclear why they fall in love, exactly. For Kelsey's part, I think she views Derek as a savior of sorts, but I'm not sure why he falls in love with her. This part was very unsatisfying for me. If you like to get in the head of the characters, you'll likely be disappointed. This was a very quick read with a happy ending, but it suffered from an overall lack of development. ( )
  halo776 | Mar 6, 2011 |
Okay, I'm cheating here, and I don't like them all equally, but I do love the Mallory's. They're all funny. I especially liked "Love Only Once" (the first book), "Gentle Rogue" (my favorite), and "The Magic of You" (where the heroine chases the hero shamelessly). ( )
  SabrinaJeffries | Apr 5, 2010 |

Gonzalez, VicenteIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nagyné Királyi, Katalinsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenau-Hes, Jannysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It wasn't such a bad place, this place that was going
to witness her sale to the highest bidder.

Left penniless after her parents' deaths, Kelsey Langton must now take responsibility for the well-being of her younger sister, Jean. But when circumstance and human frailty conspire to leave them homeless as well, Kelsey is forced to resort to drastic measures. Only by allowing herself to be sold at auction can she rescue her sister's future-and so Kelsey enters the infamous House of Eros, resigned to becoming the plaything of some well-heeled gentleman.

Lord Derek Malory is the highest bidder for Kelsey's charms a dashing rakehell from a family of charming London rogues who draws the sensuous dark-haired maiden into a world of unparalleled pleasures and dangerous rivalries. But Kelsey must scrupulously guard the secret of her highborn past--even a her grace, wit, spirit and beauty entice her new "master" to renounce his scandalous ways ... and take a chance on true love, the most perilous and rewarding gamble of all.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380725711, Mass Market Paperback)

Left penniless and in dire straits, Kelsey Langton realizes that only by allowing herself to be sold at auction canshe rescue her sister's future. So the proud, desperate lady enters the infamous House ofEros, resigned to becoming some well-heeled gentleman's plaything -- and Lord Derek Malory is the highest bidder for Kelsey's charms.

A handsome and irredeemable scoundrel, Derek soon draws the sensuous, unsuspecting maiden into a world of unparalleled pleasures and dangerous rivalries. But Kelsey knows she must always guard the secret of her highborn past -- even as her grace, spirit, and beauty entice her new "master" to renounce his scandalous ways and take a gamble on true love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:59 -0400)

Left penniless and homeless, a young woman is purchased by a rake and swept into a world of family secrets and rivalries, but neither expected that he would fall in love with her.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible