Divine Misdemeanors by Laurell K. Hamilton

Divine Misdemeanors

by Laurell K. Hamilton

I was a bit leery when I cracked this open to read it. I was disappointed in the last Anita Blake book and I was concerned that I would be disappointed in this latest installment of Merry Gentry. I was not disappointed. The story moved the plot along considerably and it has a lot more about some of the main "heroes" backgrounds to give more insight into their characters. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book. Learning more about where they came from enhances and gives us reasons for why they do the things they do, and how they feel about things. I'm trying not to give any spoilers so forgive my vagueness.

The only issue that I have is the dust jacket explanation of the story-line implies some big showdown with the Fairy Godmother and yeah, not so much really. She certainly plays a part, but not really as the big bad in the storyline. I get the feeling it's setting up for future confrontations with her so that we've got some character background.

Overall I'm going with a 4 stars. It still felt like it was a filler novel just to get some more character development and setting up some major stuff for future novels. That said, I still really liked it, I just wish there had been MORE of it because there is one thing LKH does well and that's detailed character development.

Quantity of smut: 4 star
Quality of smut: 4 star
Quality of overall plot: 5 star
Overall Enjoyment: 5 stars
Quality of Hero(s): 4 star (average of all)
Quality of Heroine: 6 stars (hey, I love this character)
Quality of non-starring characters: 4 stars
Would I like to be this heroine: 6 stars (again, I love this character!)
Would I like to do this hero(s): 4 stars (average of all)
Inclusion of Pirates: 0 stars
Inclusion of Scots: 0 stars
Bonus due to it being old school creepy Faerie, not Tinkerbell fairy: 6 stars ( )
  DuchessofHazard | Nov 29, 2015 |
While I liked the storyline well enough, Merry's sex life is over the top. I don't understand why Ms. Hamilton insists that Merry Gentry and Anita Blake have to have multiple boyfriends and have sex with so many. At least Merry doesn't try to push her beliefs on others and make them guilty about their sexuality.

I would have given this book a 4 but when Merry is having sex with a new partner every chapter, even those she doesn't want to, its just too much. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
Better than the Anita books. Still lots of typical LKH crap -- bad editing, re-used/abused phrases, lots of sex with lots of men. ( )
  lesmel | May 23, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This certainly doesn't feel like a "last book", hope there's more. It would be something entirely new to see a Hamilton character as a mom. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
To Jonathon— I could not have invented you, because I did not know I needed you by my side until you were there. No amount of poetry can explain both the surprise of you, and the warm familiarity of you in my arms.
The smell of eucalyptus always made me think of southern California, my home away from home; now it might forever be entwined with the scent of blood.

You may know me best as Meredith Nic Essus, princess of faerie. Or perhaps as Merry Gentry, Los Angeles private eye. To protect my unborn children, I have turned my back on the crown, choosing exile in the human world with my beloved Frost and Darkness. Yet I cannot abandon my people. Someone is killing the fey, which has left the LAPD baffled and my guardsmen and me deeply disturbed. I thought I’d left the blood and politics behind in my own turbulent realm. But now I realize that evil knows no borders, and that nobody lives forever—even if they’re magical.

Someone is killing the fey, which has left the LAPD baffled and Merry Gentry, Los Angeles private eye and princess of faerie, determined to get to the bottom of the case even if means going up against Gilda, the Fairy Godmother. But even stranger things are happening. Mortals Gentry once healed with magic are suddenly performing miracles, a shocking phenomenon wreaking havoc on human/faerie relations.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,963,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible