Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson

I liked this book because it was different than the other books that I have read. Something about this book made me feel hopeful of the world in the future, even though it was written for the 60's time frame in 2010. This book was huge on religion, and the way how the author connected the religious components in the story was beautifully masked by language of the era. I also liked how the author introduced Deaf culture, and how she explicitly stated some of the different words the characters could sign. The most powerful line of the whole book, which summed up the entire message was, "Each moment, I was thinking, is a thing with feathers." This statement reflected off of Emily Dickinson's saying of, "Hope is the thing with feathers." It was like every moment that passes by is a moment of hope for another individual, and how in a matter of seconds those thoughts or moments are gone forever. But, we will always continue to hope for more intense moments to stick with us, before they are gone like feathers too. ( )
  kbarry9 | Mar 12, 2015 |
Frannie is a sixth grade student that has a challenging home-life. When a new classmate enters her life, she begins to see her life in 'a new light'. This story is written in an almost poetic manner.
  kelly.haskins | Feb 25, 2015 |
In a time of unrest and segregation, it follows a young African-American girl who wrestles with hope, racism, faith, and trust. Her values and beliefs are threatened when a white boy enters her school. Her brother is deaf, so this presents another thing for her to wrestle with. ( )
  ecarlson2014 | Feb 24, 2015 |
I wanted to like this. It's a sweet tale of a 6th grade black girl living with her dad, mum and handsome and deaf brother. She goes to school. There is a new boy, a bully, a friend who is religious... but it never quite stuck for me. Like the feathers of the title, it is all very light touch and drifts away when you try to catch hold of it. ( )
  atreic | Feb 23, 2015 |
Jacqueline Woodson is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Her writing style is clear, lyrical, and hopeful; she tackles difficult issues for middle school students - bullying, loss, death - with a strength and purpose that shows the reader how to keep faith in hard times and persevere.
Curricular connections can be made with language arts in fifth and sixth grade. This novel uses the works of Emily Dickinson; create a unit showcasing the poetry of Dickinson, examine how it is used in Feathers, and finally, have students discuss how the poetry is relevant in their own lives. ( )
1 vote tona.iwen | Feb 8, 2015 |
His coming into the classroom that morning was the only new thing.

View our feature on Jacqueline Woodson's Feathers.

“Hope is the thing with feathers” starts the poem Frannie is reading in school. Frannie hasn’t thought much about hope. There are so many other things to think about. Each day, her friend Samantha seems a bit more “holy.” There is a new boy in class everyone is calling the Jesus Boy. And although the new boy looks like a white kid, he says he’s not white. Who is he?

During a winter full of surprises, good and bad, Frannie starts seeing a lot of things in a new light—her brother Sean’s deafness, her mother’s fear, the class bully’s anger, her best friend’s faith and her own desire for “the thing with feathers.”

Jacqueline Woodson once again takes readers on a journey into a young girl’s heart and reveals the pain and the joy of learning to look beneath the surface.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:02 -0400)

When a new, white student nicknamed "The Jesus Boy" joins her sixth grade class in the winter of 1971, Frannie's growing friendship with him makes her start to see some things in a new light.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,143,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible