Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson

“Feathers” by Jacqueline Woodson was a winner of a Newbery Honor, and understandably so; it is a very powerful and moving story, even though it is a short 118 pages. I was moved by this book for two reasons. First, it is told from a young girl’s point of view, and the themes are so grown-up. The themes include racism and poverty, and so to hear about those through her eyes was a very endearing quality. It helped me understand more about that time period, and how a child might have reacted to those circumstances. I also appreciated that the characters were very complex. Woodson did not make any characters flat; they all went through changes. For example, Samantha was set on identifying herself as a Christian, and yet she was confused by Fanny wanting to help Trevor. Another example includes “Jesus Boy,” who was always so calm in the beginning, but called out Trevor for not having a father, which seemed very against his nature. These character developments seem more realistic to how human beings are, and I enjoyed reading about their complex personalities.
I think the theme overall was one of hope: hope for the new baby, for bridges to new worlds, and for how things could be. Especially in terms of race, this story focuses on how things might be different one day. It is a very touching piece. ( )
  ElizabethHaaser | Oct 12, 2014 |
Feathers is a story from the perspective of Frannie, a young African American girl. The story takes place in the 70s as a white boy, everyone calls Jesus, begins at an all black school. Everyone is confused and taken back; why isn't he on the other side of the highway with the rest of the white kids? The story is very touching and eye opening; As Frannie gets to know the new kid, Jesus, she begins to understand the world in a whole new light.

I would recommend this book again and again for two reasons. First, the characters are very well rounded. There are no characters that are fully good or fully evil. The author makes the reader feel that each character is no more than human. For example, Samantha is convinced that the new kid may actually be Jesus. She witnesses him getting picked on, but doing nothing about it and watches miracles happen around him as Rayray stands up to Trevor. And she even sees him cry, remembering the verse in the bible stating "Jesus wept." However, the new kid breaks this idea in her mind as he fight backs to Trevor by bringing up his dad. This reminds the reader that he, like every other character, is only human. On the other hand, Trevor is seen as the big bully of the school, but after Trevor falls to the ground in his attempt to fight the new kid, Trevor cries. "Jesus wept" comes immediately to Frannie's mind, which shows the reader that maybe there is feelings in Trevor after all. Again, he is only human.

Also, there were so many tough issues faced in the book such as segregation, but it is seen through the eyes of a young girl. Frannie witnessed segregation taking place, as all the whites remained on the other side of the highway. But even as a young girl, she overcomes this issue that the rest of the world cannot as she accepts the new kid as her friend regardless of his skin color. Also, Frannie doesn't usually go to church, but her friend Samantha always does. But when it comes down to helping Trevor regardless of the mean things he has done or said, Frannie is the one to help him up leaving Samantha puzzled. Frannie begins to see that "maybe there's a little bit of Jesus inside all of us." Overall, the story pushes the reader to believe one day everything can be different and better. The big idea is having hope in this change in society, because after all there is good inside of all of us. ( )
  KendraEscalona | Oct 7, 2014 |
Interesting perspective on white/black relations from a young child's perspective. Maybe get. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Aug 10, 2014 |
This is the story of how one white boy enters and all black school. A young girl takes interest in the new boy and this mixes everything up. The young girl starts seeing lots o things in a different light.

I would use this book for 4th grade and up. It is a great story that teaches children how to look at things from different perspectives. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
Another great book by Jacqueline Woodson. The main point I got from this book is Jesus lives in all of us. I am not sure if that is what you will get from it, but I think it is what made this book a great book for me. A new kid that everyone calls Jesus comes to town, and he is the only white guy in a black classroom. Everyone starts questioning if he is Jesus or not because he is unique in many ways. This book takes you on a journey from the eyes of a little girl who isn't sure about many things until the end of the book. Its a great read! I recommend it! I loved it! ( )
  CMJohnson | Feb 26, 2014 |
His coming into the classroom that morning was the only new thing.

View our feature on Jacqueline Woodson's Feathers.

“Hope is the thing with feathers” starts the poem Frannie is reading in school. Frannie hasn’t thought much about hope. There are so many other things to think about. Each day, her friend Samantha seems a bit more “holy.” There is a new boy in class everyone is calling the Jesus Boy. And although the new boy looks like a white kid, he says he’s not white. Who is he?

During a winter full of surprises, good and bad, Frannie starts seeing a lot of things in a new light—her brother Sean’s deafness, her mother’s fear, the class bully’s anger, her best friend’s faith and her own desire for “the thing with feathers.”

Jacqueline Woodson once again takes readers on a journey into a young girl’s heart and reveals the pain and the joy of learning to look beneath the surface.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:02 -0400)

When a new, white student nicknamed "The Jesus Boy" joins her sixth grade class in the winter of 1971, Frannie's growing friendship with him makes her start to see some things in a new light.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,378,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible