Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson

I found this book at the library by doing a search for ASL -- because I was specifically searching for ebooks, this was the only results. I'm so glad I took the time to read it. It is positively precious! And I learned some ASL, which is what I was originally searching for. Positively loved this story :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | May 10, 2017 |
Frannie begins to rethink hope with the arrival of a white student at her school, her brother's deafness, the class bully, and her mothers baby.
Characters, events, and setting is realistic
  klum15 | Feb 27, 2017 |
Age Appropriateness (Primary, Intermediate, Middle School): Middle School
Review/Critique: This is about a young African American girl in elementary school who grows up with a deaf brother and a mom who has experienced a couple miscarriages. The books describes Frannies experience through friendships, especially with the "Jesus Boy" a young student who appears to be white. Frannie is very mature for her age and the books tells her story of understanding her world. I believe this book is realistic fiction because it could happen realistically but it is not based on a historical person. The issues talked about in the book are also relevant to todays students.
Comments on Use: I will use this book in my classroom, I really enjoyed it and think it would be great for my students. I think this book could be used to talk about race, disabilities, pregnancy, bullying, or religion. The book is well rounded and could be employed within the classroom in many different aspects.
Medium: Print (no pictures) ( )
  khadijab | Feb 22, 2017 |
This book is great in that discrimination in books is often tackled through a 1950-1960's lens, when school integration was still fresh. In many of these books, it is implied that discrimination became a thing of the past once segregation was legally ended. However, this book shows that integration of school did not solve issues of discrimination, which is a powerful lesson that continues to have relevance today. Having a unit in which books that have a slavery lens, an early post segregation lens, a 1970's lens and a modern lens in the context of discrimination and African Americans would be really powerful for comparing and contrasting and building critical thinking in a social justice context. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jan 20, 2017 |
I am so blessed that segregate is ended in our day. All Frannie and her brother wanted is freedom, and not to be separated because of their skin color. Feathers will grab readers to get their attention and have them turning the pages non-stop.
  Taylor_skinner | Nov 3, 2016 |
His coming into the classroom that morning was the only new thing.

View our feature on Jacqueline Woodson's Feathers.

“Hope is the thing with feathers” starts the poem Frannie is reading in school. Frannie hasn’t thought much about hope. There are so many other things to think about. Each day, her friend Samantha seems a bit more “holy.” There is a new boy in class everyone is calling the Jesus Boy. And although the new boy looks like a white kid, he says he’s not white. Who is he?

During a winter full of surprises, good and bad, Frannie starts seeing a lot of things in a new light—her brother Sean’s deafness, her mother’s fear, the class bully’s anger, her best friend’s faith and her own desire for “the thing with feathers.”

Jacqueline Woodson once again takes readers on a journey into a young girl’s heart and reveals the pain and the joy of learning to look beneath the surface.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

When a new, white student nicknamed "The Jesus Boy" joins her sixth grade class in the winter of 1971, Frannie's growing friendship with him makes her start to see some things in a new light.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible