Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson

I love this book for the voices it highlights and the complexity of the perspectives. The themes are also powerful. It's a great book to discuss and analyze with other thoughtful people. It isn't one of those books that I was riveted by or that I think about a lot afterwards though. That said I often wonder if Woodson wrote this book as a "speaking back" to Spinelli's Maniac Magee (whose depiction of race was so problematic). ( )
  NovelProfessor | Nov 14, 2015 |
This was an extremely well written book and I felt it was a perfect book to read during this class and learning about Social Contexts and bullying. It was also a great read because I made connections with the sixth grade class in this book and the sixth grade class I am observing in Peru.
  Bcurr | Nov 10, 2015 |
I liked this book because it was different than the other books that I have read. Something about this book made me feel hopeful of the world in the future, even though it was written for the 60's time frame in 2010. This book was huge on religion, and the way how the author connected the religious components in the story was beautifully masked by language of the era. I also liked how the author introduced Deaf culture, and how she explicitly stated some of the different words the characters could sign. The most powerful line of the whole book, which summed up the entire message was, "Each moment, I was thinking, is a thing with feathers." This statement reflected off of Emily Dickinson's saying of, "Hope is the thing with feathers." It was like every moment that passes by is a moment of hope for another individual, and how in a matter of seconds those thoughts or moments are gone forever. But, we will always continue to hope for more intense moments to stick with us, before they are gone like feathers too. ( )
  kbarry9 | Mar 12, 2015 |
Frannie is a sixth grade student that has a challenging home-life. When a new classmate enters her life, she begins to see her life in 'a new light'. This story is written in an almost poetic manner.
  kelly.haskins | Feb 25, 2015 |
In a time of unrest and segregation, it follows a young African-American girl who wrestles with hope, racism, faith, and trust. Her values and beliefs are threatened when a white boy enters her school. Her brother is deaf, so this presents another thing for her to wrestle with. ( )
  ecarlson2014 | Feb 24, 2015 |
His coming into the classroom that morning was the only new thing.

View our feature on Jacqueline Woodson's Feathers.

“Hope is the thing with feathers” starts the poem Frannie is reading in school. Frannie hasn’t thought much about hope. There are so many other things to think about. Each day, her friend Samantha seems a bit more “holy.” There is a new boy in class everyone is calling the Jesus Boy. And although the new boy looks like a white kid, he says he’s not white. Who is he?

During a winter full of surprises, good and bad, Frannie starts seeing a lot of things in a new light—her brother Sean’s deafness, her mother’s fear, the class bully’s anger, her best friend’s faith and her own desire for “the thing with feathers.”

Jacqueline Woodson once again takes readers on a journey into a young girl’s heart and reveals the pain and the joy of learning to look beneath the surface.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

When a new, white student nicknamed "The Jesus Boy" joins her sixth grade class in the winter of 1971, Frannie's growing friendship with him makes her start to see some things in a new light.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible