Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson
Recently added byCommunityAtheneum, Merryann, jsteiger, T0mT0m, -sunny-, private library, roteach, LMS2881, Mountaintop

This is the story of how one white boy enters and all black school. A young girl takes interest in the new boy and this mixes everything up. The young girl starts seeing lots o things in a different light.

I would use this book for 4th grade and up. It is a great story that teaches children how to look at things from different perspectives. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
Another great book by Jacqueline Woodson. The main point I got from this book is Jesus lives in all of us. I am not sure if that is what you will get from it, but I think it is what made this book a great book for me. A new kid that everyone calls Jesus comes to town, and he is the only white guy in a black classroom. Everyone starts questioning if he is Jesus or not because he is unique in many ways. This book takes you on a journey from the eyes of a little girl who isn't sure about many things until the end of the book. Its a great read! I recommend it! I loved it! ( )
  CMJohnson | Feb 26, 2014 |
The more of Jacqueline Woodson’s works I read, the more I love her. Her writing leaves me deep in thought, and “Feathers” did not disappoint. I fell in love with all the characters, even Trevor, the bully, and Maribel, the snob. Woodson creates characters that are well rounded and relatable. For instance, Frannie, the main character, is a very introspective little girl, but she has selfish thoughts as well. She’s not perfect. Trevor is not just a mean little boy but a boy who is deeply hurt by his father’s absence. Samantha is not just a goody-two-shoes but a girl trying to be the best person she can be. I love how Woodson uses poetic language to bring home powerful messages. Such as when Frannie says about Trevor, ““Even though he was mean all the time, the sun still stopped and colored him and warmed him- like it did to everybody else”. Trevor is just a boy, like everyone else in the sixth grade. “Feathers” carries a message of hope and that no one is just one person. We are many things rolled into one. ( )
  Tammie14 | Oct 28, 2013 |
I loved this book. It would be good for middle or high school students. The main character, Frannie, is very easy to relate to and very likable. This book could be used to teach about bullying, hope, kindness, and/or racism. ( )
  Alyssa-Schoenborn | Oct 2, 2013 |
Through her daily living, sixth grade Frannie experiences and feels many new emotions. Her understanding of interactions grow throughout the book.

I really enjoy Woodson's writing. She is able to capture what may be true feelings of a sixth grade girl. However, I felt the story dragged a bit and just wasn't enticing. (2.75/5)

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Aug 12, 2013 |
His coming into the classroom that morning was the only new thing.

View our feature on Jacqueline Woodson's Feathers.

“Hope is the thing with feathers” starts the poem Frannie is reading in school. Frannie hasn’t thought much about hope. There are so many other things to think about. Each day, her friend Samantha seems a bit more “holy.” There is a new boy in class everyone is calling the Jesus Boy. And although the new boy looks like a white kid, he says he’s not white. Who is he?

During a winter full of surprises, good and bad, Frannie starts seeing a lot of things in a new light—her brother Sean’s deafness, her mother’s fear, the class bully’s anger, her best friend’s faith and her own desire for “the thing with feathers.”

Jacqueline Woodson once again takes readers on a journey into a young girl’s heart and reveals the pain and the joy of learning to look beneath the surface.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:02 -0400)

When a new, white student nicknamed "The Jesus Boy" joins her sixth grade class in the winter of 1971, Frannie's growing friendship with him makes her start to see some things in a new light.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,661,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible