The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

The Mill on the Floss (original 1860; edition 2012)

by George Eliot

Member:johnhannon
Title:The Mill on the Floss
Authors:George Eliot
Info:

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (1860)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Booksloth)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72)
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (Booksloth)
    David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (kara.shamy)

English (93)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
Plot:
Siblings Tom and Maggie Tulliver grow up in the mill their father owns. But things don't go too well and their father is indebted and keeps fighting with his creditor, Mr. Wakem, forcing pragmatic, serious Tom to quit school and work at the mill. Meanwhile the more idealistic Maggie becomes friends with Philip Wakem, the son of the creditor. But their friendship cannot stand in the face of the antipathy between families and puts Maggie at odds with Tom. Years later, Philip and Maggie meet again at the house of her friend Lucy Deane. Another guest there is Lucy's fiancé Stephen Guest who starts to pay more attention to Maggie.

It was a fight for me to get through this book, but by the end it had gripped me and then it frustrated me again with the ending. Nevertheless, it's well-written enough that I will definitely try another Eliot in the future.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2018/02/27/the-mill-on-the-floss-george-eliot/ ( )
  kalafudra | Dec 7, 2018 |
Wonderful characters and dialogue, but I shall never forgive Eliot for what she does to them at the end. ( )
  lisahistory | Nov 11, 2018 |
This book made me cry, a lot. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
This book is so funny and sometimes dark. It's like if Dickens had been a woman. Maggie Tulliver is one of my favorite literary characters right alongside Scout Finch & Francie Nolan and Scarlett O'Hara. I'm really looking forward to reading Middlemarch because it is supposed to be George Eliot's best.
This book, at times, reminded me of Great Expectations, the way the bumbling adults would make fools of themselves.
Anyway, a wonderfully surprising read and I highly recommend it. ( )
  koharteh | Sep 19, 2018 |
After beautiful opening descriptions, an energetic plot, beginning and concluding with an embrace in the Floss,
is slowed to tedium by the endless Tulliver and Dodson womens' conversations and their fixations.

Maggie Tulliver showed a wonderful rebellious strength in a family with an often cruel older brother, a flighty mother,
and an over indulgent father. Unfortunately for her and George Eliot's readers, she descends into a pointless chasm
of self-chastising morality, broken only when she overcomes pity to agree to marry one man, then falls in love with
her cousin's boyfriend.

The only mystery in the predictable plot comes when Maggie and Tom, river people who knew better, take a rowboat out into a flood. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jun 6, 2018 |

Livesey, MargotIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacNeill, AlysonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manning, WrayIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooney, BelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A wide plain, where the broadening Floss hurries on between its green banks to the sea, and the loving tide, rushing to meet it, checks its passage with an impetuous embrace. On this mighty tide the black ships -laden with the fresh-scented fir-planks, with rounded sacks of oil-bearing seed, or with the dark glitter of coal—are borne along to the town of St. Ogg's, which shows its aged, fluted red roofs and the broad gables of its wharves between the low wooded hill and the river-brink, tingeing the water with a soft purple hue under the transient glance of this February sun. Far away on each hand stretch the rich pastures, and the patches of dark earth made ready for the seed of broad-leaved green crops, or touched already with the tint of the tender-bladed autumn-sown corn. There is a remnant still of last year's golden clusters of beehive-ricks rising at intervals beyond the hedgerows; and everywhere the hedgerows are studded with trees; the distant ships seem to be lifting their masts and stretching their red-brown sails close among the branches of the spreading ash. Just by the red-roofed town the tributary Ripple flows with a lively current into the Floss. How lovely the little river is, with its dark changing wavelets! It seems to me like a living companion while I wander along the bank, and listen to its low, placid voice, as to the voice of one who is deaf and loving. I remember those large dipping willows. I remember the stone bridge.
Such things as these are the mother-tongue of our imagination, the language that is laden with all the subtle, inextricable associations the fleeting hours of our childhood left behind them. Our delight in the sunshine on the deep-bladed grass to-day might be no more than the faint perception of wearied souls, if it were not for the sunshine and the grass in the far-off years which still live in us, and transform our perception into love.
There is no feeling, except the extremes of fear and grief, that does not find relief in music.
This work is the book. Please do not combine with any of the movies in any format.

Brought up at Dorlcote Mill, Maggie Tulliver worships her brother Tom and is desperate to win the approval of her parents, but her passionate, wayward nature and her fierce intelligence bring her into constant conflict with her family. As she reaches adulthood, the clash between their expectations and her desires is painfully played out as she finds herself torn between her relationships with three very different men: her proud and stubborn brother, a close friend who is also the son of her family's worst enemy, and a charismatic but dangerous suitor. With its poignant portrayal of sibling relationships, The Mill on the Floss is considered George Eliot's most autobiographical novel; it is also one of her most powerful and moving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

Maggie Tulliver, passionate and imaginative, comes into conflict with the middle-class narrowness of the town of St. Ogg's and with her beloved brother Tom.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439629, 0141198915

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,573,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible