The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A.…

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (original 1966; edition 2008)

by Robert A. Heinlein

7,041105511 (4.17)1 / 264
Title:The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Gollancz (2008), Paperback, 384 pages

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein (1966)

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: A different moon, a different anti-authoritarian community, but the same experience of thinking about other ways to run human societies
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Illusions of Tranquility [short fiction] by Brendan DuBois (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: This short story puts a new twist on Heinlein's libertarian moon colony.
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (bertilak)
    Freehold by Michael Z. Williamson (enrique_molinero)
    Radio Freefall by Matthew Jarpe (psybre)
    psybre: Lunar mayhem, and not just due to rock and roll, either.
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the seeds of revolution.
    Pallas by L. Neil Smith (enrique_molinero)
    Moon of Mutiny by Lester Del Rey (infiniteletters)
    The Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin (MyriadBooks)

English (104)  Slovak (1)  All languages (105)
Even though this is one of his later novels, it feels much earlier. The classic Heinlein themes are there: fierce individualism/libertarianism, free love, pluralistic marriages, interesting extrapolation of scientific discoveries (AI) and frontier exploration (moon colonization), and quirky characters, male and female. But it feels stilted, not like a book that was written AFTER Stranger in a Strange Land or Starship Troopers, and just before I Will Fear No Evil, and over-elaborated at times (e.g, a 4 page diversion on the best way of organization revolutionary cells so a minimal number of people can be betrayed could have been done in a paragraph or two).

I enjoyed it, but I think there are better, easier Heinlein reads.
  viking2917 | Sep 20, 2015 |
A great cyberpunk rebellion story with some cool political satire and a healthy dose of scientific speculation. One of the best books ever in SciFi. Recommended even if this is not your favorite genre. ( )
  valdanylchuk | Aug 26, 2015 |
First person narrative by Manny O'Kelly-Davies telling how the Lunar Penal Colony revolted in 2076 and gained its independence from the Federated Nations of Earth.

I found the patois more irritating than when I first read this in my teens or twenties. It's too similar to my day job :-). But it is a good story with enjoyable characters whether or not you agree with Heinlein's Libertarian philosophy, which is heavily emphasised. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jul 23, 2015 |
Now that I completed William Patterson's two volume biography of Heinlein, I am going to reread his books. I started with this one because I had only read it in its serialization in "Worlds of If" magazine in the mid-1960s. I remembered the abbreviation TANSTAAFL and that it was about an independence movement on the Moon. I enjoyed the novel and even enjoyed the political discourses; Heinlein's politics continue to inspire controversy today, but in this novel the philosophizing and dialectic seemed to fit the action and circumstances he created. ( )
  nmele | Apr 27, 2015 |
The author did a good job of sucking me into this lunar world. I was very taken with Mike and thought his character was the glue that held the story together. I'm not usually so enthralled with sci-fi but I did like the libertarian bent and the open rebeliousness of this former penal colony. ( )
1 vote jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
None of these complaints are to say that Harsh Mistress is a straight-up bad book. As with any Heinlein book, it offers a lot of food for thought and fodder for argument.
added by lorax | editio9, Josh Wimmer (May 2, 2010)

Heinlein, Robert A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, Raymistaken ascriptionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lippi, GiuseppeContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patrito, MarcoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinna, AntonangeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pete and Jane Sencenbaugh
I see in Lunaya Pravda that Luna City Council has passed on first reading a bill to examine, license, inspect—and tax—public food vendors operating inside municipal pressure.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
We never did it that way again ... Alvarez was not a scientific detective.
Für die ersten Raumfahrer war sie das Ziel ihrer größten Sehnsüchte, doch nun ist Luna ein Hort der Alpträume geworden. Die Menschen haben den Mond in eine riesige Strafkolonie verwandelt. Niemand, der hierher verbannt wurde, hat die Chance, auf die Erde zurückzukehren. Das System ist allen verhaßt, doch keiner lehnt sich gegen die grausamen Unterdrücker auf - bis Mike, der gigantische Computer, für die Loonies Partei ergreift. Und plötzlich scheint alles möglich zu sein - selbst die Revolution auf dem Mond.
Ein Klassiker! Einer der fünf besten SF-Romane aller Zeiten.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312863551, Paperback)

Tom Clancy has said of Robert A. Heinlein, "We proceed down the path marked by his ideas. He shows us where the future is." Nowhere is this more true than in Heinlein's gripping tale of revolution on the moon in 2076, where "Loonies" are kept poor and oppressed by an Earth-based Authority that turns huge profits at their expense. A small band of dissidents, including a one-armed computer jock, a radical young woman, a past-his-prime academic and a nearly omnipotent computer named Mike, ignite the fires of revolution despite the near certainty of failure and death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:57 -0400)

A one-armed computer technician, a radical blonde bombshell, an aging academic, and a sentient all-knowing computer lead the lunar population in a revolution against Earth's colonial rule.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible