Waiting For You by Susane Colasanti

Waiting For You (edition 2009)

by Susane Colasanti

Member:ahsreads
Title:Waiting For You
Authors:Susane Colasanti
Info:Viking Juvenile (2009), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:***1/2
Tags:roamnce, high school, relationships, tennagers, friendships, anxiety, true love

Waiting For You by Susane Colasanti

This isn't a book that will make you guess how it will end. It's a happy book with a happy end and you pretty much know that right off the bat. However, it is an easy read. It's one of those fuzzy feeling books that makes you feel all good inside. Therefore, I liked it. ( )
  JessicaofAbbey | Apr 9, 2014 |
I found that I was able to tell the ending of this story before it happened, but it was interesting to read an author that I have never read before. I'll have to try reading another by this author and see if I enjoy it ( )
  askum | Dec 13, 2013 |
I picked this up after flipping through [b:So Much Closer|8492805|So Much Closer|Susane Colasanti|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1286325931s/8492805.jpg|13358342] at work and generally liking what I read. I liked it well enough to go and grab one of Colasanti’s earlier books. Unfortunately, there wasn’t as much pep and funny to grab me with Waiting for You.

A huge problem with the book is the pacing, especially with the first third of the book. The chapters were extremely erratic, switching between what was going on in the plot and having Marisa pontificate on her interests and feelings. It felt jarring and took me out of the plot. The chapters whenever Marisa went off about her interests and life didn’t really gel with the others. She would go on for about five pages about why she did photography, or why she absolutely had to practice her violin in the bathroom. While it’s not a laundry list of characteristics and we see her doing and enjoying some of her hobbies, I wanted to see their introduction integrated more into the story itself, not getting a whole chapter with a tiny bit of plot development.

There’s also the issue that a lot of these chapters serve solely to introduce secondary characters, again, with no previous set-up. For example, Marisa’s little sister Sandra gets randomly introduced in chapter five, with no prior mention. (Heck, we’re not told she’s the younger sister until about a page and a half in.) Aunt Katie is another character who just gets a random introduction, with little to no build-up, and in fact, I thought could have been completely cut from the story.

It’s also this random, sprawling writing style that made me dislike Marisa as our main character. I can’t get a real grasp on who she’s supposed to be—is she an artist? Normal high school girl? Someone trying to get over past issues? There’s at least one or more mentions of everything that she does, but it never defines Marisa. Also, her interests really don’t show anything more to her character. There are scenes scattered throughout the book where Marisa describes taking photos and why she likes doing it, but the only reason it feels like she’s a photographer is so she can discover that her dad’s moving out. Then, it’s randomly dropped that she has an anxiety disorder and has been getting over a year-long bout of depression. While this would have helped for great characterization, it doesn’t feel realistic. First, side tangent on the fact that Marisa claims that she doesn’t go to therapy anymore. I don’t know what this says about Marisa or her parents, but depression does not work that way. There’s no easy cure-all, and if Marisa actually had an anxiety disorder, she would have been recommended to get help and medication.

The love story is barely interesting. Once Marisa hooks up with Derek, it feels like he was leading her on the whole time and we never get to see the side of him that complimented Marisa on her artwork. His ex-girlfriend is there to be catty and bitchy and only wants to steal him back. I’m a little bit more interested in Nash, but there’s not much that we see to him, and it’s so obviously set up that he’s Dirty Dirk the podcaster. There’s no real build-up to either love interest.

The only major plotline that goes anywhere interesting is Marisa’s parents splitting up, and even then, there’s not much done with it. Marisa indulges in a lot contrived drama—she hates her father, he’s must have obviously cheated on her mother; oh no, her mother had the affair, now what is she supposed to do? The fact that her mother purposefully delays telling either one of her daughters about what’s happening also pissed me off—I know divorces and affairs are really messy, especially when dealing with the kids’ reactions, but her mother’s excuses of how everything happened so fast and “I just want to be happy for me!” felt contrived and plot convenient. Also, the resolution of Marisa starting to forgive her mother felt too rushed and way too easy.

Overall, it’s not a very good book. It’s not terrible, but the bland nature of the plot and the drama was way too convenient to fit the plot needs. Also, the handling of teen depression is really bad. I may have to give her other books a full read, but I probably won’t be picking up any more of Susane Colasanti anytime soon.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
Colasanti tells a typical teenage love story in "Waiting for You." Marisa is headed into her sophomore year of hgih school and has an idea in her mind about finding the love of her life. She has her sights set on the popular jock, Derek, and throughout the year a relationship flourishes and Marisa could not be happier. However, some things get in the way of Marisa truly enjoying her ideal life: her parents are arguing at home, her best friend is talking to guys on an online dating network, and dating Derek has pushed away her close friend, Nash. Marisa's coping mechanism through all of this comes through an anonymous radio broadcast. DJ Dirk is the hot topic at school, and he talks about and relates to everything Marisa is going through. Will Marisa find the one she's wiating for? Will Dirk's identity be revealed? Or has Marisa already found her true love, but it has taken Dirk to help her realize it?

"Waiting for You" was a quick and easy read. The plot was predictable beacuse it follows the same sequence of events as most teen romance novels. However, it is a very relatable story; everyone can find soemthing that applies to them. Whether it is trouble at home, broken friendships and broken hearts, or young love, readers can understand what the characters are going through based on personal experiences. I would recommend this book to any teenage girl who is looking for an easy and entertainign book to read for pleasure. ( )
  ahsreads | Jan 4, 2013 |
This chapter book is about a young girl looking for her first real boyfriend. The identity of three boys is questioned towards the end of the book. When she discovers who one of the potential suitors really is everything starts to come together despite her struggles she has to face throughout the novel.
  Danielle_Rumsky | Dec 12, 2012 |
For everyone out there who is still waiting
The best thing about summer camp is the last day.

Read Susane Colasanti's posts on the Penguin Blog.

At the beginning of her sophomore year, Marisa is ready for a fresh start and, more importantly, a boyfriend. So when the handsome and popular Derek asks her out, Marisa thinks her long wait for happiness is over. But several bumps in the road—including her parents’ unexpected separation, a fight with her best friend, and a shocking disappointment in her relationship with Derek—test Marisa’s ability to maintain her new outlook. Only the anonymous DJ, whose underground podcasts have the school’s ear, seems to understand what Marisa is going through. But she has no idea who he is—or does she?

In Waiting For You, this third romantic novel from Susane Colasanti, Marisa learns how to “be in the Now” and realizes that the love she’s been waiting for has been right in front of her all along.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:51 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old high school sophomore Marisa, who has an anxiety disorder, decides that this is the year she will get what she wants--a boyfriend and a social life--but things do not turn out exactly the way she expects them to.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible