The now habit : a strategic program for…

The now habit : a strategic program for overcoming procrastination and… (edition 2007)

by Neil A. Fiore

Member:donutage
Title:The now habit : a strategic program for overcoming procrastination and enjoying guilt-free play
Authors:Neil A. Fiore
Info:New York : Tarcher/Penguin, c2007.
Collections:Moorestown
Tags:nonfiction, productivity, procrastination, 20c, american

The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play by Neil Fiore

The book makes a number of good points, especially about how our actions are a result of our opinions and beliefs. Procrastination, given certain set of beliefs, becomes the "rational" choice. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |
How do you overcome procrastination? It may seem counterintuitive to start with play, but that is what Neil Fiore recommends. If you approach a task feeling like you "have to" do it, you'll be naturally resistant. But if you put guilt-free play onto your "un-schedule" first, and then freely make the choice to start a task in the remaining time, procrastination may become a thing of the past. I read a lot of time management books (usually while procrastinating), and this one reiterates much common advice. Break tasks into small pieces. Just get started. But Fiore is unusual in his focus on the importance of play. He advocates being realistic about how much time you actually have for project-based work, setting realistic goals, and making sure you make time for enjoyable activities too. It was somewhat serendipitous that I finished this one right before finals week! ( )
  porch_reader | Dec 15, 2014 |
Some seminarians I visited were all reading this book and since procrastination has always been one of my problems I read it too. The main point seems, in retrospect, to allow oneself to have some fun as a reward for getting the scutwork done. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is one of the better audios on procrastination that many people have read. Heard most of this before but liked how it was presented. He treats procrastination as a behavior not a character flaw and there is a great chapter on self talk.
Excellent link to a mind map of the audio.
www.litemind.com/the-now-habit
One of many online summaries of the audio.
www.lifeoptimizer.org/2008/06/16/review-the-now-habit ( )
  GShuk | Mar 7, 2012 |
I finished reading this book five minutes before writing this review. I borrowed it from my local library and the anti-procrastination techniques the book talks about were good enough to get me to finish the book several days before the due date. I've seen some of the book's recommended strategies mentioned elsewhere, but the book does a great job of bringing it all together. The one area that I thought could have used more material was in dealing with procrastination in others. Procrastination by work colleagues was only superficially mentioned and procrastination by kids was never mentioned!

The big test for this book will be how well the recommendations work in the long term. Time will tell! ( )
  michaelwlind | Sep 21, 2011 |
The healthy individual has an appetite for fruitful activity and for a high quality of life. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
This book is dedicated to all those people who had the courage and perseverance to seek help with the frustrating problem of procrastination.  It has been written for all the people who, in their quest for help, brought with them a battered sense of self-worth, a desire to save some part of themselves, and a burning conviction that they had some good work to contribute.  But most especially,this book is for Elizabeth.
Your strategic program begins with identifying your procrastination patterns so you can apply the appropriate techniques for replacing them with the effective work patterns of producers.
...chaos is exhausting and a real time waster...When you create structures for the chaos in your life you free yourself.  You free up your time and emotional energy for the good stuff. - Dr. Joan Minninger, p. 102
Procrastination is a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision. - page xv

Procrastination:
Replace the anxiety
By doing "it" NOW!
(Sinetrig)

A unique, comprehensive program designed to overcome the causes of procrastination. Dr. Fiore's powerful techniques will help the reader get work done and enjoy free time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Offers a program for completing tasks in an efficient, stress-free manner that will allow more time for recreation without guilt, offering useful strategies and techniques for eliminating procrastination, getting things done quickly, and prioritizing goals.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,182,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible