Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Shanna (original 1977; edition 1978)

by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Member:skatoolaki
Title:Shanna
Authors:Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Info:Avon (1978), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss (1977)

English (15)  German (1)  All (16)
Classic Historical Romance. Three bodice-rippings, two kidnappings, and Pirates. Gotta have pirates.

It was very interesting as a 48 year old woman, to revisit an author I read as a teenager. Shanna was published in 1977 - let's just say: Maybe the world has changed. Just a little? Or maybe not so much.

My book club chose this because we've never read anything like it before as a group. I can't wait to see how a group of smart, well-read, Gen-X-aged women react to this story. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
one of my all time favorites ( )
  sharon-williams | Jun 16, 2016 |
Let me say right up front that I know that there are numerous people that love this book. You can find all kinds of positive reviews on any sight that has reviews. I will admit that this is a very well researched book; Ms. Woodiwiss was known for her detail and accuracy throughout her stories. Most of the characters are lovable and amusing as well as brave and honorable. I loved Ruark “John Ruark” Beauchamp. He was irreverent, funny, intelligent and courageous. I think that he handle the situations he was thrown into against his will with great dignity and honor. The secondary characters are all well done and there is more than one bad guy in this story. There are pirates, a cheating second in command and a nobleman that is a murder and a cheat. This is after all a historical romance of epic portion the thing that Woodiwiss is known for and wrote so well during her long career.

All that being said I couldn't stand Shanna. She is a spoiled brat that is set to get her own way no matter the cost. She treats Ruark like dirt most of the time. In the bargain that she strikes with Ruark so she can marry someone and avoid her father’s ultimatum she never intends to hold up her end. When she is called on it she rails against a brutish savage that haunts her. Throughout most of the story she can’t get over her impression that Ruark is a country bumpkin from the colonies. I am sure that was after most British thought however there were people of noble birth in the colonies. Shanna is blind to anything that does not fit into her narrow view of the world. It wouldn't have been so bad if she had had a change of heart early in the book but it takes most of the book for her to realize that Ruark is more than just what you see.

The rest of the story is very good and I am sure that there are those that will love it even now. I read the book when it first came out and I have never read it again until now. I wanted to give the story a second chance because Ms. Woodiwiss deserves it. I don’t like giving any book a three star review or a less than sterling review. In fact I find very few books that I don’t enjoy and want to read a second time. If Shanna had been just a little different or had a change of heart a little sooner in the story maybe I could have given the whole story a better review. ( )
  LadyIsis | May 16, 2015 |
Swoon. ( )
  Bluerabella | Apr 1, 2013 |
This was my very first Woodiwiss novel and I was hooked after it. Absolutely loved it! Shared it with my girlfriends who also loved it. ( )
  wndy2011 | Nov 20, 2012 |
Is dit het gruwlijk drakenbeest, Zo koud van hart en sterk gepeesd, Nooit en te nimmer moe geweest, Een strijbaar ros, alom gevreesd? Grijp dan een zadel snel en vlug, En span het om des monsters rug, Je moed zij grenzeloos en stug, Keer nimmer terug. Het beest is trouw en vliegt alom de aard, Je vindt je schatten, minder vaart, Je viert de teugels, 't doel is daar, Het beest bedaart. De slagtand lang, het scherpste oog dat nimmer zal versagen, nu niet gedraald, geen beter beest om mee te jagen. Maar nu is 't uit en jij zult niemand meer belagen
Night gripped the city with cold, misty darkness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380385880, Mass Market Paperback)

A pact is sealed in secret behind the foreboding walls of Newgate Prison. In return for a night of unparalleled pleasure, a dashing condemned criminal consents to wed a beautiful heiress, thereby rescuing her with his name from an impending and abhorred arranged union. But in the fading echoes of hollow wedding vows, a solemn promise is broken, as a sensuous free spirit takes flight to a lush Caribbean paradise, abandoning the stranger she married to face the gallows unfulfilled.

But Ruark Beauchamp's destiny is now eternally intertwined with that of the tempestuous, intoxicating Shanna. He will be free . . . and he will find her. For no iron ever forged can imprison his resolute passion. And no hangman's noose will deny Ruark the ecstasy that is rightfully his.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

When her wealthy father orders her to marry before she is twenty-one, beautiful Shanna Trahern, in desperation, marries a condemned prisoner.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible