Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

Labor Day (2009)

by Joyce Maynard

Relates a story of love, sexual passion, painful adolescence, and devastating betrayal as seen through the eyes of a thirteen-year-old boy--and the man he later becomes--looking back on the events of a single long, hot, and life-altering weekend.

English (109)  Dutch (1)  All languages (110)
This was a great read. An escaped convict (Frank) convinces a young boy (Henry) and his mother (Adele) to shelter him over the Labour Day weekend. Frank and Adele fall in love while the search for Frank is ongoing. Henry is torn between his liking of Frank and his fear that he will be displaced by him. In tone and atmosphere, this book reminded me of The Bridges of Madison County.

This book is well written, great characters....I'll be looking for more by this author. ( )
  LynnB | Oct 12, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this quirky novel narrated by 13 year old Henry who lives with his slightly unhinged mother Adele. Having had three miscarriages and a stillborn after having Henry, and then being left by her husband who went on to remarry and have another baby. Adele struggles to interact with people or even leave the house, leaving Henry awkward and lonely.
Into this appears Frank, who has jumped from a hospital window where he was treated for appendicitis ... but he was in prison for (accidentally) killing his wife, and in turn the drowning of his baby son (for which he was not responsible). Adele and Henry take him in and over the next few days both start to like him - and he and Adele fall in love.
But on the day they plan to escape to Canada, the police turn up, tipped off by a girl Henry fancied.
18 years later, Frank - who went back to prison and never told on Adele as she would have been locked up for harbouring a criminal - is released and he and Adele marry.
I liked the awkward narrator who enjoyed having a proper father figure (his actual father is quite distant) and how Adele's sad life was enriched by a caring man. ( )
  AHouseOfBooks | Jul 23, 2019 |
Starts slow, but give this book a chance. Powerful conclusion. Excellent writing. ( )
  mikedavoice | May 12, 2019 |
Such a bizarre book. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
It was well written and the audible version was well performed. I found it predictable, however, and I don't think I will read any more books by this author. ( )
  karolynslowsky | Jul 22, 2018 |
Joyce Maynard’s novels are beloved for their compelling and carefully drawn characters, and this—her sixth—carries on that tradition, with three characters whose lives intersect by happenstance, each one changed irrevocably for the better.
added by bell7 | editBookPage, Deborah Donovan (Aug 26, 2009)

Maynard's inventive coming-of-age tale indelibly captures the anxiety and confusion inherent in adolescence, while the addition of a menacing element of suspense makes this emotionally fraught journey that much more harrowing.
added by bell7 | editBooklist (pay site) (Aug 25, 2009)

If “Labor Day” is supposed to be a feel-good story, why did I feel so bad while reading it? Because it’s less likely and more saccharine than the escaped con’s lovingly described peach pie.

Joyce Maynardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sons, Charlie and Wilson Bethel, who taught me about the hearts of thirteen-year-old boys by their own loving and endlessly lovable example
It was just the two of us, my mother and me, after my father left.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joyce Maynard's book Labor Day was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,604,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible