Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

Labor Day

by Joyce Maynard

92010613,719 (3.75)79

English (106)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
It was well written and the audible version was well performed. I found it predictable, however, and I don't think I will read any more books by this author. ( )
  karolynslowsky | Jul 22, 2018 |
Mystery re: escaped convict and the days around Labor Day weekend. Interesting characters - told from viewpoint of 13-yr old boy ( )
  sraelling | May 6, 2018 |
Captivating and demanding on your time. I really love these types of novels which manage to grab you and pull you straight in between the covers and become almost your reality. Definitely well worth a read. ( )
  Charlotte1162 | Nov 29, 2017 |
Despite the improbable start to the story, the personalities soon take over and make it a straight through reading.

It would have been near-perfect, except for all the repetitions about Adele's behavior, if the author had resolved

Frank's capture some other way than Henry setting up a predictable betrayal. Even Barry would have worked better.

The postcard ending doesn't make up for the stupidity. ( )
  m.belljackson | Nov 11, 2017 |
This is my first Joyce Maynard book. The synopsis sounded intriguing. The story of Adele is a sad one, indeed. But Frank's presence seems to bring some life back to her. She needed love and affection. She needed positive attention. Thirteen-year-old Henry has been the "man" of the house for so long, yet he can't make his mother happy. Not in the way that Frank can.

Frank isn't really as awful as the media portrays him to be. He's a human being with flaws and still possesses some good qualities.

The story is sad while still clinging to hope and love. It is generously insightful, sharing the why's of Adele's unhappiness and depression. While Joyce is a fair storyteller, this book is not one that I would re-read. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 29, 2017 |
Joyce Maynard’s novels are beloved for their compelling and carefully drawn characters, and this—her sixth—carries on that tradition, with three characters whose lives intersect by happenstance, each one changed irrevocably for the better.
added by bell7 | editBookPage, Deborah Donovan (Aug 26, 2009)

Maynard's inventive coming-of-age tale indelibly captures the anxiety and confusion inherent in adolescence, while the addition of a menacing element of suspense makes this emotionally fraught journey that much more harrowing.
added by bell7 | editBooklist (pay site) (Aug 25, 2009)

If “Labor Day” is supposed to be a feel-good story, why did I feel so bad while reading it? Because it’s less likely and more saccharine than the escaped con’s lovingly described peach pie.

Joyce Maynardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sons, Charlie and Wilson Bethel, who taught me about the hearts of thirteen-year-old boys by their own loving and endlessly lovable example
It was just the two of us, my mother and me, after my father left.

Relates a story of love, sexual passion, painful adolescence, and devastating betrayal as seen through the eyes of a thirteen-year-old boy--and the man he later becomes--looking back on the events of a single long, hot, and life-altering weekend.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joyce Maynard's book Labor Day was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,025,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible