Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

Labor Day

by Joyce Maynard

Recently added byGirlWellRead, annabw, kate_r_s, novunus, amhotz, erigby8, private library, willowtree1990

English (100)  Dutch (1)  All (101)
Labor Day by Joyce Maynard is a coming-of-age book about a young man’s 13th year, in particular, the events that occurred over the Labor Day weekend. Henry lives with his mother who isn’t coping well with her life. She rarely goes out at all but this day Henry needed new clothes for school which was starting after the long weekend. While in the store Henry is approached by a man who obviously needs some help. He is limping and bleeding, and Henry and his mother take him home.

Frank is an escaped convict, but doesn’t seem threatening in any way, in fact, Frank and Henry’s mother, Adele, hit it off right away. Frank does tell them who he is but they are enjoying themselves and allow the situation to get even more intimate. When Frank and Adele start talking about running away to Canada, Henry believes they are going to leave him behind. He does see his father, but isn’t all that keen to live with his father’s new family or his step-mother. He becomes angry and confesses the situation to a friend. He then finds out that Frank and Adele have no intention of leaving him behind. They pack up and are about to leave when the police arrive and arrest Frank. The friend that Henry told went to the police for the $10,000 reward.

The book is written from the point of view of a thirty year old Henry who brings us up to date with what eventually happens to Frank, Adele, Henry and the rest of the family. I admit that at first I was not fond of fragile Adele and how passive she was but as the author slowly reveals more and more about her character, I began to root for her. I started this book thinking it would be an average read, but the author developed her characters into fully rounded people and presented a story that was both insightful and so richly shaded that I knew this was much more than an average book. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 19, 2017 |
In the beginning I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one or not, but after only a couple chapters in, I was hooked. Labor Day by Joyce Maynard is a book that I couldn't wait to pick up before I went to bed to see what was happening next. It was not only a poignant coming-of-age story of a young boy, it also portrayed his mother who was struggling with her own demons as well. I found myself wanting to hug this boy and it really made me think about how sometimes the things we think we know about a person can be totally off. It is a story about love and the strange ways it can be found.
I love the way the book ended as well. Instead of being tragic like I actually expected, it instead made me feel good and showed that sometimes good things come out of bad situations. It shows the power of love as well as the power of forgiveness. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a book that makes you smile as you close the back cover.
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
The prose was straightforward but compelling. From the beginning, it pulled me deep into the mind of the narrator. Truly enjoyed the emotional triggers and agony of the characters. Worth a re-read . . . which is rare. ( )
  zoegreenfeld | Sep 20, 2016 |
This story is told through the eyes of 13-year-old Henry about his hermit mom Adele and escaped convict Frank. This is a sad story and also a love story. Frank spends 6 days with Henry and Adele and changes their lives forever. This was a quick read, barely over 200 pages. I liked Frank and Adele together yet she and Henry were making me mad that they didn't turn Frank in. This book has a sweet ending and I did enjoy learning about the different characters. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Book Description:
As the end of summer approaches and a long, hot Labor Day weekend looms, the life of lonely thirteen-year-old Henry Wheeler is irrevocably changed when he and his emotionally fragile mother show kindness to a stranger with a terrible secret. Now a major motion picture starring Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin, Labor Day is a poignant story of love, sex, adolescence, and devastating treachery.

Labor Day is a very touching and page turning story with very unforgettable characters. Never read Joyce Maynard before but I will be seeking out some of her other novels! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Joyce Maynard’s novels are beloved for their compelling and carefully drawn characters, and this—her sixth—carries on that tradition, with three characters whose lives intersect by happenstance, each one changed irrevocably for the better.
added by bell7 | editBookPage, Deborah Donovan (Aug 26, 2009)

Maynard's inventive coming-of-age tale indelibly captures the anxiety and confusion inherent in adolescence, while the addition of a menacing element of suspense makes this emotionally fraught journey that much more harrowing.
added by bell7 | editBooklist (pay site) (Aug 25, 2009)

If “Labor Day” is supposed to be a feel-good story, why did I feel so bad while reading it? Because it’s less likely and more saccharine than the escaped con’s lovingly described peach pie.

Joyce Maynardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sons, Charlie and Wilson Bethel, who taught me about the hearts of thirteen-year-old boys by their own loving and endlessly lovable example
It was just the two of us, my mother and me, after my father left.

Relates a story of love, sexual passion, painful adolescence, and devastating betrayal as seen through the eyes of a thirteen-year-old boy--and the man he later becomes--looking back on the events of a single long, hot, and life-altering weekend.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Labor Day by Joyce Maynard was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,270,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible