Undiscoverd Gyrl by Allison Burnett

Undiscoverd Gyrl

by Allison Burnett

I had an ARC of this book, so the blurb on the back made me think the subject matter would be a little different. Though it wasn't what I was expecting, the book still grabbed me from the beginning. It's written in blog format, which means the narrator is a little annoying, since she's a 17-year-old girl. She's full of herself and thinks she's the hottest girl, excuse me - girl, ever, and nothing bad can happen to her. Like a blog, it was still interesting enough to keep reading. You feel like you're reading someone's life, and even though it's like a soap opera, you're hooked. Thankfully the ending was extremely satisfying, and I was so happy it turned out that way. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
There was so much that I liked about this book. The main thing that I did appreciate, was that the story is told in a sort of blog/diary format. Because of this, we are able to truly read and hear the raw emotions from the main character because this writing outlet for her is her biggest confidant. While I did really like this book, I have to say I have never been so floored by a book before reading this. There was so much left up for interpretation that it left me feeling very hollow and even kind of depressed once I finished reading it. This book has many different outcomes and takes many alternative directions than other books that are similar in this type of genre. I think it is well worth the read. ( )
  alannahv | Apr 5, 2014 |
You can read my review of this book here:
  Davida.Chazan | Sep 7, 2013 |
I'm not exactly sure what I really liked about this book. It could be the realism portrayed in Katie, the gossipy nature, the connection with blogging, the draw into Katie's emotional roller-coaster, the epistolary format (blogging dates), the secondary characters, the humor, the risky behavior, the fact that I learned to like Katie, etc. In truth, I think it's a little bit of everything.

What I didn't like was the s*x scenes. I don't believe that all the details needed to be spelled out. However, after a while I felt like I knew Katie, so her behavior became expected and accepted . . . because that was Katie, and she was the one telling the story. (I remembered that it was a book after all, so it was okay to accept it from a fictional character.) Anyway, I was always looking for the good in her and hoping for the best for her.

This was quite a book. I am left with many emotions (just finished it) and sadly think that it's probably a very scary truth.

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Jul 6, 2012 |
This is a difficult review to write. While I liked the book a lot it was still different.
I liked it because it was written in blog form. I have read books written like diaries but never blogs.
Some other things I liked is that the author makes you feel for Katie. She is a troubled teen who drinks, smokes, has a bad relationship with her father, and sleeps with older men. You can't help but feel sorry for her.
Saying this, there are some things in the book that were very bold and detailed. Like Katie's language got rauncy once in a while, and her sex life is explained. And even though Katie is a teenager I wouldn't think that this book would be for a young reader.
And I did not see the ending coming. It ends with Katie's last blog post as:

"Wait, phone ringing. Someboday loves me. Stand by."

I'm not going to say who picks up Katie's blog from here because I don't want to give anything away. But I have to say that I was not expecting the ending. And I am also still wondering what exactly happened. I wish the ending would have been a little different. ( )
  trishalynn0708 | Jun 17, 2010 |
After all, life hasn't much to offer except youth and I suppose for older people the love of youth in others. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
For darling Chloe
Last April when I decided to defer college for a year my friends said I was insane, but I'm not.

Taking a year off before college, Katie Kampenfelt applies her reckless intelligence to discovering her passions, seducing an older man, and reporting her escapades online to a number of supportive and critical readers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible