Dragonsblood by Todd J. McCaffrey
1,120None7,319 (3.56)8

Oh gosh, another plague.... Does he realise that he doesn't have to write about plagues? There is some shit about Wind Blossom and how the Watchwhers were created and Boy Wonder (a.k.a. Kindan) makes is usual appearances.

DO NOT BOTHER!!!!!!! ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
In Dragonsblood, the story switches between past and present where Windblossom, one of the original Pern colonists is trying to create a legacy involving genetic engineering. In a time where dragons are dying from Thread, is capable of saving the dragons. In present time, Loranna is also dealing with dying dragons, and reaches back in time to Windblossom to save the dragons.

There was very little that I actually liked about the book. The writing was subpar. The storyline is both confusing and not especially interesting. The dialogue is weak. I wasn't very impressed with Anne McCaffrey as a writer, and I don't think her son is any better. This is a weak novel. Unless you're tied into the Pern series, I would skip it.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 6, 2013 |
Well, it was a new story...written by the SON, not Anne. *sigh* It wasn't bad, though I think he gets bits muddled up. For example, to my recollection in Dragon's Dawn Wind Blossom is Kitty Pings granddaughter, all through this book he states that Kitty was her mother. And, he also says that thread eats plastic. Uh, no it doesn't, or all those houses at Landing would have been eaten up, and the plastic hulled ships and the docks they built. Pretty much most of what was established at the Southern Continent was plastic!

Whatever.

The switching back and forth between times nearly every chapter was a little annoying to me, but that's just a preference.

All in all, it was just okay. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. It was FAR, FFAARRRRR better than any Dragonlance book after other authors took over the tale. I'm hoping that Dragon's Fire is a bit better. (Though I am regretting buying them all the way through Dragon Girl as I'm not holding my breath that I'm going to want to go much further in the series if Todd is writing on his own from now on...) ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
Third Pass #2 ( )
  ogorobez | Apr 6, 2013 |
As a former Publisher's Weekly reviewer, I have no idea how this clunker got a starred review. Its greatest virtue is that it makes Eragon look like Pulitzer material. The writing can only be described as terrible. I've taught high school fiction writing and frankly, my students' products were less ugly, repetitive and difficult to track than this. The quality is so poor that it repeatedly intrudes, making it difficult to engage with the plot. I have a high tolerance for unevenness in this series, but I may never be able to finish this one. Note that I had to add a "cannot-finish" shelf just for Todd. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |

Todd J. McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCaffrey, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister
Georgeanne Kennedy
Brave, strong, courageous
Four men stood in a knot around the Star Stones of Fort Weyr.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345441257, Mass Market Paperback)

In Dragon’s Kin, bestselling author Anne McCaffrey did the unthinkable: for the first time ever, she invited another writer to join her in the skies of her most famous fictional creation. That writer was her son, Todd McCaffrey. Together, they penned a triumphant new chapter in the annals of the extraordinarily popular Dragonriders of Pern. Now, for the first time, Todd McCaffrey flies alone. And Dragonsblood is proof that the future of Pern is in good hands. After all, dragons are in his blood. . . .

Never in the dramatic history of Pern has there been a more dire emergency than that which faces the young dragonrider Lorana. A mysterious fatal illness is striking dragons. The epidemic is spreading like wildfire . . . and the next deadly cycle of Threadfall is only days away. Somehow, Lorana must find a cure before the dragons–including her own beloved Arith–succumb to the sickness, leaving Pern undefended.

The lyrics of an all-but-forgotten song seem to point toward an answer from nearly five hundred years in the past, when Kitti Ping and her daughter Wind Blossom bred the first dragons from their smaller cousins, the fire-lizards. No doubt the first colonists possessed the advanced technology to find the cure for which Lorana seeks, but over the centuries, that knowledge has been lost.
Or has it?

For in the distant past, an aged Wind Blossom worries that the germs that affect the fire-lizards may one day turn on larger prey–and unleash a plague that will destroy the dragons, Pern’s only defenders against Thread. But as her people struggle to survive, Wind Blossom has neither the time nor the resources to expend on a future that may never arrive–until suddenly she uncovers evidence that her worst fears will come true.

Now two brave women, separated by hundreds of years but joined by bonds transcending time, will become unknowing allies in a desperate race against sickness and Threadfall, with nothing less than the survival of all life on Pern at stake.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:19 -0400)

With the dragons of Pern dying and the only person who can save them long dead, the grieving dragon riders find clues in the lyrics of an ancient ballad to long forgotten knowledge and secrets hidden somewhere in Benden Weyr.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible