Dragonsblood by Todd J. McCaffrey

Scarlett has been in hiding since the brutal attack that ended in the death of her fiancé, cousin, and two bodyguards seven years ago. She thinks she is safe until she sees one of the men who attacked her on the train. A stranger saves her, claiming that her life is in danger because she has Dragon blood running through her veins. She’s stuck in the middle of a war fought between Dragons, Djinnis, and Elves, and she has no hope of surviving without the stranger’s help.

Janos’ clan has been hit hard by the war. The Djinnis and Elves have found a way to find the Dragon mates before they can be protected, decimating the population even further. At first he doesn’t recognize Scarlett as his mate, just that she is a mate who is refusing to be rescued.

His Scarlett isn’t easily led away, even when another attack forces him to change shape in order to protect her. Rather than infuriate him, her refusal to toe the line attracts him to her even more. It will take a strong woman to be his mate and consort. Janos was a hardass from the very beginning, but Scarlett didn’t let him get away with it. She enjoyed the forced kiss, even reciprocated, but she did it on her own terms. There was never the whole “my body betrayed me” aspect that’s prevalent in romance novels.

Even when their sexual attraction reached a fevered temperature, Janos was patient and Scarlett covered all her bases. This wasn’t just about sex-it was about learning each other, the way of the dragons, and exactly what she was getting into. Once they consummated their relationship, Scarlett took control. She didn’t wait for him to do what she wanted; no, she told him what she needed and how. You gotta love a heroine who has her cake and eats it, too.

Unfortunately the story fell apart at the end. I’m not sure why, in romances, the hero and heroine have to have a mandatory period away from each other to reflect on some stupid thing one or the other did or is perceived to have done. It just doesn’t fit every situation. There was no reason for Janos and Scarlett to be separated, so when it happened it appeared forced, out of character, and rushed.

Blending dragon and vampire mythology into one super-supernatural was ingenious. The ending didn’t ruin the story for me; the relationship and dynamics built early on were strong enough to overshadow it and make me eager for the next installment.

Bitten by Books for AReCafe ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
Oh gosh, another plague.... Does he realise that he doesn't have to write about plagues? There is some shit about Wind Blossom and how the Watchwhers were created and Boy Wonder (a.k.a. Kindan) makes is usual appearances.

DO NOT BOTHER!!!!!!! ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
In Dragonsblood, the story switches between past and present where Windblossom, one of the original Pern colonists is trying to create a legacy involving genetic engineering. In a time where dragons are dying from Thread, is capable of saving the dragons. In present time, Loranna is also dealing with dying dragons, and reaches back in time to Windblossom to save the dragons.

There was very little that I actually liked about the book. The writing was subpar. The storyline is both confusing and not especially interesting. The dialogue is weak. I wasn't very impressed with Anne McCaffrey as a writer, and I don't think her son is any better. This is a weak novel. Unless you're tied into the Pern series, I would skip it.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 6, 2013 |
Well, it was a new story...written by the SON, not Anne. *sigh* It wasn't bad, though I think he gets bits muddled up. For example, to my recollection in Dragon's Dawn Wind Blossom is Kitty Pings granddaughter, all through this book he states that Kitty was her mother. And, he also says that thread eats plastic. Uh, no it doesn't, or all those houses at Landing would have been eaten up, and the plastic hulled ships and the docks they built. Pretty much most of what was established at the Southern Continent was plastic!

Whatever.

The switching back and forth between times nearly every chapter was a little annoying to me, but that's just a preference.

All in all, it was just okay. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. It was FAR, FFAARRRRR better than any Dragonlance book after other authors took over the tale. I'm hoping that Dragon's Fire is a bit better. (Though I am regretting buying them all the way through Dragon Girl as I'm not holding my breath that I'm going to want to go much further in the series if Todd is writing on his own from now on...) ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
Third Pass #2 ( )
  ogorobez | Apr 6, 2013 |

Todd J. McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCaffrey, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister
Georgeanne Kennedy
Brave, strong, courageous
Four men stood in a knot around the Star Stones of Fort Weyr.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345441257, Mass Market Paperback)

In Dragon’s Kin, bestselling author Anne McCaffrey did the unthinkable: for the first time ever, she invited another writer to join her in the skies of her most famous fictional creation. That writer was her son, Todd McCaffrey. Together, they penned a triumphant new chapter in the annals of the extraordinarily popular Dragonriders of Pern. Now, for the first time, Todd McCaffrey flies alone. And Dragonsblood is proof that the future of Pern is in good hands. After all, dragons are in his blood. . . .

Never in the dramatic history of Pern has there been a more dire emergency than that which faces the young dragonrider Lorana. A mysterious fatal illness is striking dragons. The epidemic is spreading like wildfire . . . and the next deadly cycle of Threadfall is only days away. Somehow, Lorana must find a cure before the dragons–including her own beloved Arith–succumb to the sickness, leaving Pern undefended.

The lyrics of an all-but-forgotten song seem to point toward an answer from nearly five hundred years in the past, when Kitti Ping and her daughter Wind Blossom bred the first dragons from their smaller cousins, the fire-lizards. No doubt the first colonists possessed the advanced technology to find the cure for which Lorana seeks, but over the centuries, that knowledge has been lost.
Or has it?

For in the distant past, an aged Wind Blossom worries that the germs that affect the fire-lizards may one day turn on larger prey–and unleash a plague that will destroy the dragons, Pern’s only defenders against Thread. But as her people struggle to survive, Wind Blossom has neither the time nor the resources to expend on a future that may never arrive–until suddenly she uncovers evidence that her worst fears will come true.

Now two brave women, separated by hundreds of years but joined by bonds transcending time, will become unknowing allies in a desperate race against sickness and Threadfall, with nothing less than the survival of all life on Pern at stake.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:19 -0400)

With the dragons of Pern dying and the only person who can save them long dead, the grieving dragon riders find clues in the lyrics of an ancient ballad to long forgotten knowledge and secrets hidden somewhere in Benden Weyr.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,679,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible