The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie

The Man in the Brown Suit

by Agatha Christie

Series: Colonel Race (1)

Read during Summer 2003

Anne is the plucky heroine who stumbles into a murder and international crime ring. There are the usual Christie twists and turns and I almost figured out who the good and bad guys were but not quite. The romance is rather dopey but doesn't detract from a good mystery.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
Always enjoy an Agatha Christie mystery! Thought Anne Beddingfield was a fantastic heroine, can't wait to read the Miss Marple books and the other books narrated by a female. ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 26, 2014 |
Really good story! Lots of twists and turns. I had read this before, but enjoyed it just the same a second time. Funny comic book romance. Very good reader! Read by Emilia Fox. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I read this book in less than 24 hours. It was very good, not a typical Agatha Christie. Told from the point of view of two very entertaining narrators. Also, its a love story. ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
Longing for adventure, Anne Beddingfeld moves to London after her father's death. She is the only one who notices that the doctor examining the body of a victim of an accident on the Underground was not a doctor but searching the body. What is the fake doctor's connection with a murder in a house to let?

This is more of a thriller with a plucky young gel up against a criminal mastermind than a mystery. Interesting as a period piece rather than in its own right. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Nov 18, 2013 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laatunen, Saima-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To E. A. R.
in memory of a journey, some lion stories and a request that I should some day write the "mystery of the Mill House."
Nadina, the dancer who had taken Paris by storm, swayed to the sound of the applause, bowed and bowed again.

Anne Beddingfeld is a nice English girl looking for a bit of adventure. But she stumbles upon more than she bargained for! A beautiful ballet dancer is brutally murdered in a London Mansion. A fabulous fortune in diamonds has vanished. And now, aboard the luxury liner Kilmorden Castle mysterious strangers pillage her cabin and try to strangle her.
What are they looking for?
Why should they want her dead?
Lovely Ann is the last person on earth suited to solve this mystery.... and the only one who can!
----------------------

For the first time, Anne took in the details of her visitor's appearance, the close-cropped dark head, the lean jaw, the scar on the brown cheek, the curious light gray eyes. there was something dangerous about him.
"You haven't thanked me yet for saving your life," Anne said with false sweetness.
"I wish to God you hadn't!" he said explosively. "I'd be better dead and out of it."
"I'm glad you acknowledge the debt. You can't get out of it. I saved your life and I'm waiting for you to say 'Thank you.'"
"I shall not thank you - now or at any other time. But I acknowledge the debt. Some day I will pay it."
He was gone, leaving Anne with clenched hands, and her heart beating like a mill race...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312979487, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:19 -0400)

How odd, Anne Beddingfeld thought, that the stranger caught her eye, recoiled in horror, and fell to his death on the rails of Hyde Park Underground Station. Odder still was a doctor in a brown suit who pronounced him dead and vanished into the crowd. But what really aroused Anne's suspicion was when she learned of the doctor's link to the murder of a famous ballerina, a fortune in hidden diamonds, and a crime-lord embroiled in blackmail. And most frightening of all was the attempt made on Anne's own life. But she is unable to resist the lure of an isolated mansion that could hold the solution to the bizarre mystery--even if she becomes the next victim...… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible