Everfree by Nick Sagan

Everfree (2006)

by Nick Sagan

Series: Idlewild (3)

I read this book immediately after "Edenborn". It's a good conclusion to the series. My biggest issue with this book is the time, We start off the Black Ep is gone, and those lucky few that managed to get cyrogenically frozen are been waked up. There are about 1000 people at the start of the book, almost all rich, almost all white. Unfortunately, the author doesn't know proportion. Four Bars for 1000 people? There is so much discontent they need more than 3 security officers? Living in a small town, this doesn't work. Also, the time just goes by too fast without reference. We start off with one city, then all of a sudden, the French want their art back- when did the French get thawed?

As like the previous book, the plot is in all directions. It works, but it can be a bit distracting. But, overall, it works, and the ending is quite satisfactory. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | May 11, 2009 |
Not as satisfying as the previous books in the series. ( )
  gregandlarry | Dec 4, 2008 |
Upon finishing Everfree, I feel a sense of complete satisfaction with the series and with each book on its own. Nick Sagan's style of writing is thought-provoking and completely thorough. This book, as well as the other two, continued his tradition of presenting new challenges for his characters and resolving old circumstances and kept everything fresh and interesting. I find it hard to put into words how much I've enjoyed reading all three and how disappointed I am that Mr. Sagan does not yet have any more novels for me to delve into. Hopefully there will be much more to come. ( )
  whitetara | Nov 23, 2007 |
Nobody said it would be fair /
They warned you before you went out there /
There's always a chance to get restarted /
To a new world, new life /
Scarred but smarter

-drivin' n' cryin', "Scarred but Smarter"
Nothing in the sky with nothing.

In 2003, Nick Sagan exploded onto the scene with Idlewild, a highly original debut novel that inspired Stephen Baxter to say, "Sagan has a ferocious imagination." Edenborn returned to Sagan's hyperimaginative world with a stylish, thrilling work that was hailed by critics and embraced by readers. With Everfree, Sagan concludes the trilogy that is destined to become a classic.

As Everfree opens, a small group of humans has survived the apocalyptic epidemic called Black Ep, a disease that ravaged the world and left them alone on Earth. Their conflicting ideas about how a new, much less populated planet ought to be governed, however, are a source of terrible strife. The early "post humans" believed in The Doctrine: The post-plague world is collective. We're all in this together. Let's look out for each other, share the dirty work, give the needy what they need. Inevitably, though, as more survivors are roused from their frozen sleep, there are those who disagree. People who remember power are waking up to a new world, and they do not intend to wait their turn . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"Fans of Idlewild and its sequel, Edenborn, will rejoice to see the saga brought to a conclusion, in Everfree." "A small group of humans has survived the apocalyptic epidemic called Black Ep, a disease that ravaged the world and left them alone on Earth. The survivors gradually awaken other, who had been put into a state of frozen sleep to await a future when the disease might be cured. At first, everyone agrees on the basics: We're lucky to be alive. We're all in this together. Let's look out for each other and build a better world." "But inevitably, as more sleepers are roused, there are those who disagree. People who remember power are waking up to a new world, and they do not intend to wait their turn politely. And from very far off indeed, one more surprise awaits the survivors - a shock that will transform the future for everyone in this post-plague, perhaps even post-human, world."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible