Splendid by Julia Quinn
Recently added byjamieschecter, CurlUpAndRead, private library, Ndkchk, Janetly, Lina_mp, mvr1426, aoifekerr, mary23nm

Can def tell this is the author's first book. Just read "Ten Things I Love About You" and can (gladly) tell the maturation of Julia Quinn. In bits and parts I could feel the beginnings of the usual Julia Quinn humor emerging, i.e. Bridgerton series.
Surface writing, not connected, and because of this I was never able to get into the story. It has all the cliché characters described in the first three chapters, plucky American girl, shy cousin, and the Duke. Now I can usually read about these characters all day long but it needs to feel fresh and the characters have to suck me in. This story read very general.
Book felt like it was written by an inspired romance fan. You know, when after you read an incredible romance book that stole you from your life for a couple hours and then after the magic of that story dies down you start to create a story in your mind and think 'I should write this!'. Level 1 writing.
The main characters Emma and Alex never endeared themselves to me and frequently were annoying. Emma was so 'gosh darn stubborn' and always leaping before she looked and Alex was incredibly autocratic and so angry at times with Emma that he could just "throttle her"! All the supporting characters were well written just very vanilla. The baddie Viscount Woodside was the only one who was interesting and he wasn't even in the story very much.
The Big Misunderstanding was lame-o; infact the whole story was filled with predictability. I don't even know if I will remember this story a week from now. Like I said before, obvious this was Julia Quinn's first book and I am so happy she has refined her skills since then.
So anyway, eek I found this story boring at times! This book did come out in 1995 so maybe it was a first of it's kind, humorous and amorous in the regency period, and that is why people rank it high on romance book lists. I however, have read much better. In fact I would recommend Olivia Parker's book, which I absolutely loved, "At the Bride Hunt Ball" #1 in Bride Hunt series (also loved the 2nd in the series) instead of Splendid. It has a Duke and a spunky gal (alas not American) and was way more humorous and amorous to me (it was a keeper!).

D ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
This book was not my favourite from Julia Quinn. I believe I read that this was her first novel, which you can tell by the writing in the beginning. I felt she jumped from person to person and then a sort of narrative type writing. It got better throughout the novel, or perhaps I just got used to it. The story itself was good. However I think she should have wrapped it up around 83% of the way in. I don't think she needed the last "event" that took place. Or if it was needed, I would have preferred it to happen before she gave the characters their "happily ever after." But this is just my opinion. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Julia Quinn's first novel shines brightly. Much better than many first novels out there, IMO. Thank goodness for us, she didn't finish the M.D., although I'm sure she would have been successful in whatever she decided to do.

Loved the heroine, her extended family, and the plot. Quinn's humor, style, and sense of adventure are all there.

Hero was just ok...Dude, seriously? Who goes around kissing random ladies with concussions in carriages?? Took me a while to like him. Read the Bridgerton or Smythe-Smith heros first! ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Underwhelming. But added to collection as JQ's debut novel. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Unexpected and entertaining. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
For my mother, who let me drag her to all those bookstores, and for Paul, even though he insisted that the title ought to be Splendid in the Grass.
You're sending me away?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380780747, Mass Market Paperback)

Based on the phenomenal growth of Quinn′s popularity, and her four-week stint on the New York Times bestseller list with Romancing Mr Bridgerton, it′s the perfect time to revisit Ms Quinn′s ′splendid′ storytelling.

American heiress Emma Dunster has always been fun-loving and independent with no wish to settle into marriage. She plans to enjoy her Season in London in more unconventional ways than husband-hunting. But this time Emma′s high-jinks lead her into dangerous temptation...

Alexander Ridgely, the Duke of Ashbourne, is a notorious rake who carefully avoids the risk of love...until he plants one reckless kiss on the sensuous lips of this high-spirited innocent...and condemns himself to delicious torment. Little does he know that his passion has touched the very soul of the lovely enchantress...and committed them both to a lifetime of splendid ecstasy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:26 -0400)

High-spirited American heiress Emma Dunster travels to London, where her highjinks lead her into rescuing the nephew of the Duke of Ashbourne, a notorious rake who is impressed with her splendid verve.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible