The Complete Plays: The Histories by William…

The Complete Plays: The Histories

by William Shakespeare

Note: I haven't read this actual volume; this is a shorthand way of putting them all on my reading-through-history shelf.

Four stars because the best - Henry IV, Richard II & III - are the best, while the worst - Henry VIII, most of the Henry VIs - are pretty crap. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | May 23, 2012 |
This is collection of Shakespeare's history plays, nicely arranged and compiled for easy access. I do not like that there are no annotations or references to help and guide me. ( )
  AlexTheHunn | Oct 10, 2007 |
Shakespeare's histories are the least interesting of his plays, in general. Richard III and Henry V are the clear exceptions. ( )
  stpnwlf | Jul 16, 2007 |

William Shakespeareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bevington, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SUFFOLK (kneeling before King Henry): As by your high imperial majesty / I had in charge at my depart for France, / As Procurator to your excellence, / To marry Princess Margaret for your grace, / So, in the famous ancient city Tours, / In presence of the Kings of France and Sicil, / The Dukes of Orléans, Calaber, Bretagne, and Alençon, / Seven earls, twelve barons, and twenty reverend bishops, / I have performed my task and was espoused, / And humbly now upon my bended knee, / In sight of England and her lordly peers, / Deliver up my title in the Queen / To your most gracious hands, that are the substance / Of that great shadow I did represent— / The happiest gift that ever marquis gave, / The fairest queen that ever king received.

A vibrant Shakespeare that brings readers closer than ever before possible to Shakespeare's plays as they were first acted. The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition invites readers to rediscover Shakespeare—the working man of the theater, not the universal bard-and to rediscover his plays as scripts to be performed, not works to be immortalized. Combining the freshly edited texts of the Oxford Edition with lively introductions by Stephen Greenblatt and his co-editors, glossaries and annotations, and an elegant single-column page (that of the Norton Anthologies), this edition of Shakespeare invites contemporary readers to see and read Shakespeare afresh. Greenblatt's full introduction creates a window into Shakespeare world-the culture, demographics, commerce, politics, and religion of early-modern England—Shakespeare's family background and professional life, the Elizabethan industries of theater and printing, and the subsequent centuries of Shakespeare textual editing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

1 avail.4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible