The Passion of Mary Magdalen: A Novel by…

The Passion of Mary Magdalen: A Novel

by Elizabeth Cunningham

What a whore! As a non-religious person, I'm not very familiar with Jesus and biblical tales, but I felt as though I could be transported into an earlier world through Cunningham's tale. A lusty and passionate story of Maeve/Mary and her relationship with Jesus. I think the author could have left out her references to current day trends, however, in order to keep with the feeling of taking readers into an earlier time and world. ( )
  niquetteb | Sep 14, 2013 |
I really liked this book. It's one of my favorite readings of the character of Mary Magdalen, aka Maeve, the goddess-worshipping Celt. She's feisty, tough, omnisexual, and just as magical as Jesus. She has serious reservations about Yahweh, but she's crazy about Jesus, so she manages to (mostly) go along with his agenda.

I'm not a huge fan of retellings of the Jesus story, but this is definitely one of the best of the genre. It's well-written, with every character distinct and interesting. It's a ripping good story, a great beach read but with some serious undertones. It's well-researched, & has a good grip on ancient history. It's pro-woman, pro-earth & pro-pleasure. I do recommend it. ( )
  astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |

astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |

“Cunningham weaves Hebrew scripture, Celtic and Egyptian mythology, and early Christian legend into a nearly seamless whole, creating an unforgettable fifth gospel story in which the women most involved in Jesus’s ministry are given far more representation.”—Library Journal

“This year’s must-have summer reading.”—KINK Radio

“Lavish and lusty . . . Cunningham’s Celtic Magdalen is as hot in the mouth as Irish whiskey.”—Beliefnet (chosen as one of this year’s “heretical beach-books”)

“Explodes off the page with its tales of love, hope, power, and redemption—book clubs looking for a great discussion, take note.”—TheBookBrothel.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:51 -0400)

Classy, sexy novel, which embraces the Magdalenes reputation for prostitution to the extent of casting her as a sacred whore serving the goddess Isis. For Cunningham, Mary is Maeve, a big, strapping, redheaded Celt sold into slavery in Rome and bought for her ample charms by a renowned domina (i.e., madam). Cunningham's big book is first an absorbing historical novel about down-and-dirty slave life in Rome and then a visionary fantasy about the Magdalene's life as Jesus gentile wife..… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible