Madame Mirabou's School of Love by Barbara…

Madame Mirabou's School of Love

by Barbara Samuel

695173,491 (3.71)1 / 2

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and live life. All Barbara Samuels characters are [b:on the road|6288|The Road|Cormac McCarthy|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21E8H3D1JSL._SL75_.jpg|3355573] to self discovery. I want to write like her one day. ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
Sometimes denial means accidentally blowing up your house. For Nicole Bridges, divorce (and blowing up her house) means having to live in "Splitsville", an apartment complex made up of army "widows" and the often unhappily divorced. It also means making new friends, taking a few chances, and ultimately discovering that losing didn't mean losing everything.

Samuel's characters aren't always likable - although Nicole certainly is - but they are real and relatable. ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 4, 2014 |
Excellent story; one that will stick with the reader for some time. ( )
  TooToby | Jun 16, 2007 |
I have been a fan of Barbara Samuels since In the Midnight Rain written as Ruth Wind. To this day, when I think about that book, I can feel the exotic orchids blooming there in the greenhouse. I am always fully engrossed in Samuels' characters...I care about them, I feel what they feel. That said, Madame Mirabou's School of Love was a bit of a letdown. I just didn't connect with the main character. I never really felt that inner connection. All in all, not a bad read, just a disappointing read when compared to other efforts by this author. ( )
  owlsfeathers | Dec 30, 2006 |

Sometimes real passion means living the life you’ve always wanted.

Nicole Bridges still can’t believe she’s taken up residence in a Colorado apartment complex nicknamed “Splitsville.” She’s still reeling from her husband’s affair, a divorce she never saw coming, and having to leave the upscale, comfortable world she helped make for her ex and their teenage daughter. With little money, even less work experience, and no idea what to do next, she takes tentative steps–if only to keep her head above water.

Along the way, Nikki unexpectedly finds herself falling in with eccentric new neighbors–and being seduced out of her funk by a charming, elusive ex-Londoner. And through her delight in the sensual elements of perfume, she will discover the courage to form bonds she never imagined. When a discarded flyer printed with the name “Madame Mirabou” provides the spark of inspiration, Nikki dares to blend the fragments of her life into a fragrance that’s uniquely and passionately her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:18 -0400)

Nikki Carrington's husband leaves her for a young woman of his own race, taking their daughter with him. After her house caughts fire she moves into an apartment complex with many separated or divorced people. There she searches to find out who she really is so that she can move on with someone else.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible