The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

The Razor's Edge (original 1944; edition 2003)

by W. Somerset Maugham

3,915None1,305 (4.12)179
Member:Marensr
Title:The Razor's Edge
Authors:W. Somerset Maugham
Info:Vintage (2003), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Fiction, British, Read, 2003

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham (1944)

On a Chinese Screen by W. Somerset Maugham (John_Vaughan)
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (anabela_aguiar)
    anabela_aguiar: Um dos melhores livros sobre a chegada da idade adulta e todos os factores que influenciam a nossa actuação nesta sociedade.
    Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A young man on a journey, both literally and spiritually. Philosophical.
    Collected Short Stories, volume 2 by W. Somerset Maugham (John_Vaughan)

English (55)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (57)
My opinion of the book fluctuated as I read. The author inserts himself as a character, and sometimes that makes the narrative flow awkward. You end up with passages where he's writing things like (not an actual quote), "I wasn't there so I can only surmise that it went something like this." Overall, though, I once again really enjoyed Maugham's style and the story itself is thought-provoking and entertaining. He creates good characters, and the at times dark material is sprinkled with some healthy doses of humor. After Of Human Bondage and The Razor's Edge, I'm still anxious to read more of Maugham's work. ( )
  tercat | Feb 6, 2014 |
Entertaining "Lost Generation" soap opera. It is touted as a "true story" (Maugham serves as a central character/narrator) where everyone gets what they want in life, and there are happy endings for all (well, not exactly).. There are some interesting spiritual passages from the protagonist, a (young) WW I vet trying to find himself. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Nov 9, 2013 |
I found this book rather slow going, and didn't really feel much connection with any of the characters. So at the end I didn't really care what happened to them very much.

The central character seems to be Larry, who goes on a spiritual journey. But he's absent from the story for much of the time, only popping up from time to time. Some parts of the book are good, but there are some tedious bits in between them. I didn't really care for the high society Americans much at all.

This is the second Maugham novel I've read, and overall, I much preferred Of Human Bondage. ( )
  Pondlife | Sep 23, 2013 |
I have good memories of this book, though I did no post-reading note thereon. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 29, 2013 |
Overall a somewhat sad story, even though Larry Darrell finds the answers he has been seeking. I found some aspects of this book reminiscent of a lot of books popular during the 70s & early 80s - or should I say foreshadowing them, since it was published first? - in particular, the seeking for what is the meaning of life & the turning to Indian ashrams for answers.

Although Larry is ostensibly the main character, Elliott Templeton is equally important, if only as a contrast to Larry. Elliott is one of the last members of a dying way of life and, despite his snobbery, Maugham clearly is fond of him & feels pity for him. Elliott is much more alive to me and seems more fleshed out as a character than Larry does. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |

W. Somerset Maughamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over;
thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

~ Katha-Upanishad
I have never begun a novel with more misgiving. If I call it a novel it is only because I don't know what else to call it.
A mother only does her children harm if she makes them the only concern of her life.

The story of the spiritual odyssey of a young American in search of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:01 -0400)

Leaving wealth and loved ones behind, Larry Darrell journeys to the mountains of India in search of spiritual wisdom.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible