The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

The Razor's Edge (original 1944; edition 2003)

by W. Somerset Maugham

Member:Marensr
Title:The Razor's Edge
Authors:W. Somerset Maugham
Info:Vintage (2003), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Fiction, British, Read, 2003

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham (1944)

On a Chinese Screen by W. Somerset Maugham (John_Vaughan)
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (anabela_aguiar)
    anabela_aguiar: Um dos melhores livros sobre a chegada da idade adulta e todos os factores que influenciam a nossa actuação nesta sociedade.
    Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A young man on a journey, both literally and spiritually. Philosophical.
    Collected Short Stories, volume 2 by W. Somerset Maugham (John_Vaughan)

English (56)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
Somerset Maugham masterfully dissects and exposes human nature at its best and at its worst. Bill Murray did a wonderful job in his version of this movie, and his version was truer to the novel. I'd highly recommend both the book and the movie. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
Amazing.There is one paragraph in this book that stands out in my mind. In it, Maugham retells the story of the temptation of Christ in the desert. In a book full of evocative ideas, keen observations, and explorations into the nature of truth, destiny, and faith this paragraph left me stunned. To date, it is the best stand alone paragraph I have ever read! ( )
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
My opinion of the book fluctuated as I read. The author inserts himself as a character, and sometimes that makes the narrative flow awkward. You end up with passages where he's writing things like (not an actual quote), "I wasn't there so I can only surmise that it went something like this." Overall, though, I once again really enjoyed Maugham's style and the story itself is thought-provoking and entertaining. He creates good characters, and the at times dark material is sprinkled with some healthy doses of humor. After Of Human Bondage and The Razor's Edge, I'm still anxious to read more of Maugham's work. ( )
  tercat | Feb 6, 2014 |
Entertaining "Lost Generation" soap opera. It is touted as a "true story" (Maugham serves as a central character/narrator) where everyone gets what they want in life, and there are happy endings for all (well, not exactly).. There are some interesting spiritual passages from the protagonist, a (young) WW I vet trying to find himself. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Nov 9, 2013 |
I found this book rather slow going, and didn't really feel much connection with any of the characters. So at the end I didn't really care what happened to them very much.

The central character seems to be Larry, who goes on a spiritual journey. But he's absent from the story for much of the time, only popping up from time to time. Some parts of the book are good, but there are some tedious bits in between them. I didn't really care for the high society Americans much at all.

This is the second Maugham novel I've read, and overall, I much preferred Of Human Bondage. ( )
  Pondlife | Sep 23, 2013 |

W. Somerset Maughamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelk, C.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maddigan, AngelaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarner, MargaretEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over;
thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

~ Katha-Upanishad
I have never begun a novel with more misgiving. If I call it a novel it is only because I don't know what else to call it.
A mother only does her children harm if she makes them the only concern of her life.

The story of the spiritual odyssey of a young American in search of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:01 -0400)

Leaving wealth and loved ones behind, Larry Darrell journeys to the mountains of India in search of spiritual wisdom.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,644,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible