The Mask Of Atreus by A. J. Hartley

The Mask Of Atreus (2006)

by A. J. Hartley

English (4)  Italian (1)  All (5)
I only knew AJ Hartley from his YA fantasy stuff, so decided to try a few other of his books. This is a mystery/thriller that, unfortunately, is a little dated. There were a number of questions that I kept shouting at the main character to ask, but she never listened to me. Her own damn fault, then, when she got into a mess. Probably good she didn't listen to me. I totally missed the swastika on the cover.

Just recently went to a reading of HArtley's and I asked him about the genre hopping he does in his writing. He said that he likes to read all sorts of things, so why not write all sorts? Luckily, he's good enough that he can do that. Other authors get pigeon-holed into one type of book and have a hard time breaking out and still getting published. ( )
  bookczuk | May 16, 2017 |
less than the sum of its parts ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I'll just say it straight out. I didn't like this book very much. I did finish it, which is more than I can say for some others I've read that I didn't like. I didn't set out to not like it, but there it is. Now, I happen to have read many reviews in which readers say it's a great book, and if they say so, then that's okay. However, I'm often at odds with many regular book readers as far as liking/not liking a book, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'll tell you why this one didn't particularly strike my fancy after my brief summary of this book.

Deborah Miller is a curator of the Druid Hill Museum in Atlanta, started by her mentor, Richard Dixon. One night, after a fundraiser, Deborah goes home but receives a strange, anonymous phone call that sends her back to the museum, only to find Richard dead. Deborah, of course, calls the police, but does some sleuthing of her own, and finds only a brief clue: Richard has written down the word "Atreus," probably his last act. From there, we have the following: a cop that may not actually be a cop, Richard's visit to a website that reveals he was interested in a golden death mask (possibly of a king of Mycenaea, maybe even Agamemnon), an attack on a dark highway, all of which send Deborah running to Greece to try to find answers. But it gets sort of murky and muddled from there, as the plot takes an abrupt turn, and Deborah finds herself in even more danger than before.

My whole problem is that there's so little substance to this book that it was hard to find any of it the least bit believable and thus the least bit engaging. Then there's the villain, whose dialogue was so campy that I could only laugh rather than be terrified at the "horrific" plot at the root of it all. Don't get me wrong...I do a lot of escape reading where there's way too many coincidences, too many timely deus ex machinas and pretty bad dialogue, but in this one, the evil and nefarious deed was just was a wee bit silly. I don't think I'd recommend this one to a friend; let's put it that way. ( )
1 vote bcquinnsmom | Nov 16, 2008 |
I have to say I didn't like this book. Not that it was bad, but I felt misled. I bought it because it was supposed to be a mystery about Ancient Greek archeology and it ended up being about something I didn't have much interest in. (Don't want to spoil it for others.) I understand that they would have ruined the plot twist if they has advertised that on the backcover, but I still didn't like it.
1 vote Ilithyia | Oct 30, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042520913X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:52 -0400)

An obscure museum's dead proprietor lies in a secret room surrounded by one of the world's most astonishing collections of Greek antiquities. Only a priceless Mycenaean death mask has been taken, along with the bones of a legendary hero thought to exist only in ancient myth. Looted by the Nazis, the treasures are still being sought by those whose dreams of glory remain undefeated. The mask is an unparalleled discovery that will be a force for devastating retribution in the wrong hands. But by the time museum curator Deborah Miller learns the truth, it may be too late not only to save herself--but to reveal to the world the awesome secret she's uncovered.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,504,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible