A Woman of the People by Benjamin Capps

A Woman of the People (1966)

by Benjamin Capps

recommended for: interests: Native Americans, children, historical fiction - for ages about 9 & up

This was one of my favorite books the year I was 12. (My very favorite - from age 12 on - was probably To Kill A Mockingbird.) The book was a Christmas present that year. I reread it multiple times, and have reread it periodically over the years.

It was unique for its time, of telling a story about Native Americans where they weren’t portrayed as perfect or as evil, but simply as human beings.

I still have my original very worn copy. Just checked and it is in print and that's great because it’s a terrific story.

It’s about a nine year old girl and her five year old sister and how, after their family is killed by members of a tribe of Comanche Indians, they’re kidnapped and adopted as members by different families in the tribe. The story is told from the older girl’s viewpoint. It’s a real epic as her story, and that of the tribe, is followed well into her early adulthood. Both the characters and plot are very well developed in this book.

It’s the book that sparked my interest in Native American history. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 9, 2013 |
The Trinity River empties its clean water into Galveston Bay, a good harbor on the Gulf of Mexico.

In this story of the Texas frontier, the author dramatized the capture by a Comanche band of a ten-year-old white girl and her five-year-old sister from the upper reaches of the Brazos River a decade before the Civil War. The novel takes the reader inside the midst of the main character, and we are allowed to grow with her as she forgets her white heritage as Helen and becomes Tehanita (Little Girl Texan).… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible