Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Story of a Girl

by Sara Zarr

I only read this book because there was a quote by John Green on the cover.

But it turned out to be a pretty good story. Rumours and asshole students ruin this poor girls life. It really sucks. Her father doesn't trust her. She has a crush on a boy. Her boss seems a little too nice. And her brother had a baby out of wedlock. Oh my! So much disfunction in one little home.

Sad thing is, this stuff happens all the time. Poor thing.

Definitely worth a read. It was quick and easy to get through. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Quick read. Pretty good, but how she was treated really irritated me. Surely it wouldn't be quite to that extent in real life . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Obvious & earnest themes of forgiveness, second chances, and redemption.

However, it didn't ring true for me. And if an author who wants to teach a lesson isn't credible, she's not going to be effective.

For example, Deanna often thinks and journals about how her dad and her friend made her feel loved and special, before. But she got involved with the older boy because he satisfied a need she had to feel special? And Deanna hates her messy house, but won't even clean her own room until the end of the book, or dream of doing anything like take the 'soggy cardboard boxes' off the porch. And she pities her mom for having to pick up after inconsiderate customers at her job at Mervyn's, but then goes to the mall, tries on clothes she has no intention of buying, and leaves them crumpled on the floor.

The older boy gets off the hook way too easy, too. I mean, sure I get that the author is totally heavy into not ruining ppls' lives, and that forgiveness is at least as beneficial for the person offering it as for the person who transgressed. But come on: I don't think he even learned enough of a lesson that he won't do it again. He was 17, she was 13 - that's too big of an age difference to sweep under the rug. After all, irl a boy who just turned 18 can get in big trouble with a girl who is almost 18. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Deanna was only 13 when her father caught her having sex with her brother's best friend, a 17-year old. Three years later, at 16, her father rarely talks to her. Her brother, Darren, and his girlfriend, Stacey, are living in the basement with their baby, April. Deanna dreams of moving out of the house, along with Darren, Stacey and April.

It was ok. I listened to the audio, narrated by the author. I think the author did well, as she sounded like an angst-y teenager, and there was a lot of that in the book. I can usually take some, but it was a bit much, even for me. The story was ok, though. And it's possible the angst came through even moreso because the author read it that way. It was short and quick to listen to, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 30, 2014 |
After reading other books by this author, I was disappointed to see all of the swearing that went on it. She has proven by her other books that it is not necessary and all in all, a pretty standard plot line with the "bad girl's reputation" and the disappointment of the older brother's actions.
Nothing new here and not necessary to buy. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jul 18, 2014 |
for everyone who is my family
They made us clean out our lockers on the last day of sophomore year.
It came down to the smaller things, really, that a person could do to say I'm sorry, to say it's okay, to say I forgive you. The tiniest declarations that built, one on top of the other, until there was something solid beneath your feet. And then...and then. Who knew?
p.187

When she is caught in the backseat of a car with her older brother's best friend--Deanna Lambert's teenage life is changed forever. Struggling to overcome the lasting repercussions and the stifling role of "school slut," she longs to escape a life defined by her past. With subtle grace, complicated wisdom and striking emotion, Story of a Girl reminds us of our human capacity for resilience, epiphany and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:20 -0400)

In the three years since her father caught her in the back seat of a car with an older boy, sixteen-year-old Deanna's life at home and school has been a nightmare, but while dreaming of escaping with her brother and his family, she discovers the power of forgiveness.… (more)

Sara Zarr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible