Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Going Bovine

by Libba Bray

2010 (16) adventure (41) angels (52) award winner (13) coming of age (17) death (74) disease (16) Don Quixote (30) dwarves (32) dying (20) family (17) fantasy (110) fiction (115) friendship (32) gnomes (21) high school (24) humor (63) mad cow (15) mad cow disease (121) magical realism (23) Printz (24) Printz Award (37) read (13) road trip (99) teen (33) to-read (50) Walt Disney World (18) YA (129) young adult (117) young adult fiction (21)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (kiwiflowa)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: It is an incredible journey just like this one...
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher (foggidawn)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another weird road trip across America packed with mythical deities.
    Schrodinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are hilarious books filled with wacky, nerdy randomness, both involve (at least in part) quantum physics, and both have a surprisingly sweet and touching emotional core hidden under the zaniness.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (kaledrina)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf (kaledrina)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Thin lines separate worlds. Frequently they cross. Which world is real?
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.

Bizarre, quirky, and at turns charming and grating. I really don't know how best to review this book. I hated parts and loved parts. Different from anything I've read recently. ( )
  klarsenmd | May 20, 2014 |
This is an original, bizarre, quirky book filled with in-your-face humour. It's the first book I've encountered where I was captivated by the acknowledgements. Although protagonist is an irritating teenager, you can't help but love him. The main character's life spins out of control on two levels. It is mythic and mystical. However, I was a little disappointed that the ending wasn't more. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |
I don't know if this is the worst young adult novel of a generation or the best.

First, I think this would be a fabulous book to use in high school English classes to teach literary devices such as symbolism, foreshadowing, etc. ESPECIALLY symbolism. That being said, it'll never see the light of day in public schools because of the sex, drugs, and language.

My parents never censored my reading as a kid, I think it was a good thing. But I am uneasy with the main character. I don't like him. He's, well, a teenager, I guess. Perhaps if I wasn't 30, his attitude wouldn't have bothered me as much.

Definitely worth a go. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I absolutely love quirky, random books and Libba Bray has some great ones. The story of a boy diagnosed with BSE goes on a road trip with his friend Gonzo and a yard gnome named Balder in an attempt to find the man who will cure him. He is given advice and guidance by an angel that only he sees . He learns and experiences many things all the while avoiding the authorities who are on their tail. A great road trip tale. ( )
  kgthor | Feb 9, 2014 |
I wanted very much to like my first exposure to Libba Bray, an author whose praise I have nearly always heard highly sung. I think, however, that Going Bovine was the wrong place to start. As I learned from my reaction to Lewis Carroll’s Alice stories, I don’t do random well. Admittedly, Cameron’s story did have a bit more of an overarching plot than Alice’s did, but the level of randomness was still extraordinarily high. If random is your thing, give this one a try.

Full thoughts on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |
Libba Bray not only breaks the mold of the ubiquitous dying-teenager genre — she smashes it and grinds the tiny pieces into the sidewalk. For the record, I’d go anywhere she wanted to take me.

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take my advice and live for a long long time, because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hope is the thing with feathers. - Emily Dickinson
It's a small world after all. - Walt Disney
For my parents with love. This one's also for Wendy. And, as always, for Barry and Josh.
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.

All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.--Amazon.com

Cameron Smith, a disaffected sixteen year-old who, after being diagnosed with Creutzfeld Jakob's (aka mad cow) disease, sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf he meets in the hospital in an attempt to find a cure.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible