Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Going Bovine

by Libba Bray

Recently added byextrajoker, DL_Orton, private library, lorienanderson, Vonini, cherobula, LanvalsMaiden
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (kiwiflowa)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher (foggidawn)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: It is an incredible journey just like this one...
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another weird road trip across America packed with mythical deities.
    Schrodinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are hilarious books filled with wacky, nerdy randomness, both involve (at least in part) quantum physics, and both have a surprisingly sweet and touching emotional core hidden under the zaniness.
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (kaledrina)
    Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf (kaledrina)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Thin lines separate worlds. Frequently they cross. Which world is real?
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.

First let me say, [a:Libba Bray|2526|Libba Bray|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1206563678p2/2526.jpg], what a terribley frightening, wonderfully freaky imigination you have. Cameron's story is so ........ weirdly wonderful I can not even begin to process it all. Never did I think I would read about Disney World, Fire Giants, an angel and an MTV Spring Break-ish house all in one story. And to have it all come together to be and enjoyable reading experience is even better. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Unique plot and well-written characters with humor tossed in at all the right places made for one awesome read. I loved it and would definitely recommend this! ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
Well, I honestly didn't expect much of this book, so I was neither disappointed nor impressed. The book is OK really. It's about a regular teenager who finds he has Creutzfeldt-Jakob (a.k.a. mad cow disease), which gives him god only knows how much more time of life. While he is at the hospital, a spunky angel appears to him purposing him one thing that could save his life: to find a certain Dr. X who would have the key to the cure of his disease... and to save the world from inter dimensional fire monsters.

The story may sound stupid, childish and cheesy, but I found the progression of the whole thing rather plausible. I mean, you obviously won't meet Norse gods around the world trapped within the body of a yard gnome, but what's more... "common" than a teenager running away from the hospital and going on an adventure? There are several elements of fantasy, but the plot overall is very "realistic".

Still, I feel that the story could have been much better. I found the characters were somewhat empty and superficial when they HAD the potential to be much more complex. There wasn't enough of them for me to feel captivated. It feels like the story was cold and distant.

In spite of that, it's a nice quick reading. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Interesting concept and story. Could have done with a little less swearing, although it usually fit the characters. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Kept me thinking, laughing, and enjoying throughout this book; my teenaged son liked this bizarre book too. "'You are the cow of my contentment.' Dulcie the angel translates Cameron's Latin from a Great Tremolo song (Bray 269). Makes you wonder doesn't it? That's my one take-away. It's all linked in some bizarre way. ( )
  turbobks | Aug 6, 2014 |
Libba Bray not only breaks the mold of the ubiquitous dying-teenager genre — she smashes it and grinds the tiny pieces into the sidewalk. For the record, I’d go anywhere she wanted to take me.

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take my advice and live for a long long time, because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hope is the thing with feathers. - Emily Dickinson
It's a small world after all. - Walt Disney
For my parents with love. This one's also for Wendy. And, as always, for Barry and Josh.
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.

All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.--Amazon.com

Cameron Smith, a disaffected sixteen year-old who, after being diagnosed with Creutzfeld Jakob's (aka mad cow) disease, sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf he meets in the hospital in an attempt to find a cure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,941,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible