Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Going Bovine (edition 2010)

by Libba Bray

Member:13mushrooms
Title:Going Bovine
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Ember (2010), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 496 pages

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (kiwiflowa)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another weird road trip across America packed with mythical deities.
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher (foggidawn)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: It is an incredible journey just like this one...
    Schrödinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are hilarious books filled with wacky, nerdy randomness, both involve (at least in part) quantum physics, and both have a surprisingly sweet and touching emotional core hidden under the zaniness.
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (kaledrina)
    Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf (kaledrina)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Thin lines separate worlds. Frequently they cross. Which world is real?
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.

I liked it, but not as much as Bray's other work. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
We just started a book club and we're picking a new genre every month at random. Our first month's genre was "teenage angsty drama" and honestly I was less than thrilled. I stumbled upon this title, however, as I was searching what I would read. I love cows, so I was already half won over, but then I read the description and it was such a trip that I ordered the book from the library immediately.

Man, did this book deliver! If you are a fan of Series of Unfortunate Events, Welcome to Night Vale, or anything else with self-aware humor or absurdity-that-is-considered-normal, you will love this book. But it's not just a good time, Cameron has a seriously deadly disease and it brings his mortality front and center a lot throughout his journey. And he's not the only character who is forced to look something in the eye that maybe he/she had been avoiding. Not a single word, character, object, or situation is accidental. Even as the pages began to thin out and I reached the end of the story, the final pieces fell into place in a way I didn't entirely expect, but also wasn't too surprised by.

Come for the cult that worships happiness in a bowling alley, stay for the strong relationships built through discovering who you are together. ( )
  ilikeike | Nov 15, 2018 |
Trippy, hilarious, sad, poignant.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Wow what an interpretation of what the end is like. So much happened in this book that it is too hard to explain or pick one thing which makes it a story that anyone can related to. Norse Gods, MTV party houses, 'Rents, road trips, Everlasting Happiness and Snack and Bowl, to name few. I have to mention the Disney events because I had just returned from Tomorrowland and could picture Dr. X in the "Carousel of the Future" not to mention as a kid I remember "E tickets"! ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
Holy cow is this book good! You care about the characters, feel their pain and laugh all at the same time. I read this a while back, but I still remember it well and hope to read it again someday soon. :) ( )
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
Libba Bray not only breaks the mold of the ubiquitous dying-teenager genre — she smashes it and grinds the tiny pieces into the sidewalk. For the record, I’d go anywhere she wanted to take me.

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take my advice and live for a long long time, because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hope is the thing with feathers. - Emily Dickinson
It's a small world after all. - Walt Disney
For my parents with love. This one's also for Wendy. And, as always, for Barry and Josh.
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.

All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.--Amazon.com

Cameron Smith, a disaffected sixteen year-old who, after being diagnosed with Creutzfeld Jakob's (aka mad cow) disease, sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf he meets in the hospital in an attempt to find a cure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible