Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Going Bovine (edition 2010)

by Libba Bray

Member:stretch
Title:Going Bovine
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Ember (2010), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (kiwiflowa)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another weird road trip across America packed with mythical deities.
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher (foggidawn)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: It is an incredible journey just like this one...
    Schrodinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are hilarious books filled with wacky, nerdy randomness, both involve (at least in part) quantum physics, and both have a surprisingly sweet and touching emotional core hidden under the zaniness.
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (kaledrina)
    Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf (kaledrina)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Thin lines separate worlds. Frequently they cross. Which world is real?
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.

It starts a little slow, but stick with it -- this is an incredible book.

[The next paragraph contains mild spoilers (as in you’ll figure this out by the end of the second(ish) chapter).]

This book screwed with my brain. There’s no other way to put it. The main character is a 16-year-old with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a degenerative neurological disorder probably caused by BSE (“Mad Cow disease”). One symptom of the disorder is hallucination, so construction of reality becomes a recurring theme – in other words, at times it is difficult to decipher what is really happening from what is just happening in the main character Cameron’s head and whether it matters.

[(Not even) spoilers over.]

Going Bovine is a book about a teenager, and it tackles teenage anxieties about the future, love, and identity, but I believe it’s a story that readers of all ages can appreciate. Poignant, innovative, and ripe with an odd but somehow fitting blend of dark humor and joy, this is a book to remember. ( )
  hungrylittlebookworm | Mar 27, 2017 |
A whacky meditation on humanity and the pointlessness of it all. There are some very humorous bits. I listened to the audio; the voice of Baldur is done particularly well. It was long, and I don't remember it all, in a few years I'ld probably be ready to read it again. There was a good deal of trenchant satire, especially of suburbia and academia. ( )
  themulhern | Dec 25, 2016 |
I feel completely incapable of expressing how surprisingly awesome this book was. There was so much in it I usually wouldn't really be comfortable with, but I just loved it. Cameron's Don Quixote style journey to come to terms with his fate is comedic and bizarre, and it was so beautiful how Bray weaved in various things from his life to help him through his journey. And even though I knew from the get-go how it would end, I still found myself crying through the last couple of chapters. So good. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
Really liked this book until it started getting too long . . . too many adventures. I would have enjoyed it much more if there were about 100 fewer pages. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This book is cotton candy on acid. ( )
  pennylane78 | Jun 6, 2016 |
Libba Bray not only breaks the mold of the ubiquitous dying-teenager genre — she smashes it and grinds the tiny pieces into the sidewalk. For the record, I’d go anywhere she wanted to take me.

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take my advice and live for a long long time, because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hope is the thing with feathers. - Emily Dickinson
It's a small world after all. - Walt Disney
For my parents with love. This one's also for Wendy. And, as always, for Barry and Josh.
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.

All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.--Amazon.com

Cameron Smith, a disaffected sixteen year-old who, after being diagnosed with Creutzfeld Jakob's (aka mad cow) disease, sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf he meets in the hospital in an attempt to find a cure.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,885,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible