Wombat Walkabout by Carol Diggory Shields

Wombat Walkabout

by Carol Diggory Shields

This is a great read-aloud book because of the rhymes and it's a good way to teach kids about some stuff in Australia.
  ulindsay | Mar 13, 2015 |
Really adorable counting book for a young child. Reminds me of another story I read as a child, but I can't put my finger on it. The artwork is sweet and I like the use of words such as "mate" and "kookaburra", really helps to place the setting of this book. It's really sweet how they were able to get their friends back.
  InstantLaila | Dec 7, 2014 |
Wombat Walkabout s about 6 wombats who go on a walkabout and are distracted by various animals. As each one stops to checkout the noise, they disappear, taken by a hungry dingo. When there only two wombats left, they notice that there are four missing. The two wombats decide to dig a hole and cover it with sticks to trick the dingo. One wombats complains to the dingo that he is lost and needs help. With a grin, the dingo agrees to help and falls into the hole, releasing the other four wombats. The wombats go on their way and have tea.
  Shoshanabrmsn | Jun 8, 2014 |
This story an Australian twist on the classic counting type of book with the monkeys jumping on the bed. Instead it features a family of wombats taking a stroll and one by one disappearing. I liked the way that it was told and how it introduces things that American students may not previously know. I am also glad that it had a happy ending instead of the family actually getting eaten like you are at first led to believe. ( )
  kryoung1 | Apr 3, 2014 |
Great book, my students love it, we chanted some of it.
  Brifost | Jun 4, 2013 |
This book is by Carol Diggory Shields, a children's author illustrator who lives in California. Please edit your copy of this work to update the author's name, so that this work will be listed on Carol Diggory Shields' page with her other children's books. Amazon.com incorrectly listed this author as Carol Shields; an update request has been submitted to them.

Early one morning when the sun came out, Six woolly wombats went walkabout.

This whimsical counting poem follows six brave little wombats on walkabout in the Australian outback. But the wilderness is bound to bring more excitement than an innocent counting game. Soon enough, the curious wombats learn to beware the hungry dingo! Aussie native Sophie Blackall?s delicious illustrations set adorable wombats in a lush world of golden wattles, billabongs, kookaburras, and gum nuts. With marvelous wordplay and irresistible read-aloud phrases, this ingenious text is sure to become a well-worn favorite. Accompanied by a short, simple glossary of Australian terms and wildlife.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:16 -0400)

Rhyming text follows six little wombats on walkabout and a hungry dingo following, envisioning them as his lunch until the wombats turn the tables on him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible