Amy : The Story of a Deaf Child by Lou Ann…

Amy : The Story of a Deaf Child

by Lou Ann Walker

Amy is about a real deaf child. Students learn about her emotions and family life. It's dated but interesting. students could have difficulty staying focused or lose interest. ( )
  dscalia | Jan 27, 2014 |
This is a great story about a little girl named Amy who is deaf. Though some may think that her exceptionality may stop her from doing things other students can do, this story shows that Amy uses sign language to communicate and socialize like other children. This would be a great book to use in a lesson plan about kids with disabilities. ( )
  jewolf | Nov 26, 2013 |
This book is about a girl named Amy who is deaf. She uses hearing aids and sign langauge to communicate with others. All though she is deaf, she lives her life like any other normal fifth grader. She goes to school and does many different activities. I would certainly read this to my students because it shows that even children with disabilities can live a normal life. ( )
  Swelker | Nov 24, 2013 |
I would incorporate this story in my classroom to help students realize how deaf children cope with their surroundings. It's always a good way to make students see that they should be grateful for their health. ( )
  aalkurd | Oct 25, 2013 |
“Lots of hearing people ask me what it’s like to be deaf, but I never ask them what it’s like to be hearing.” This is a book about Amy and her life as a member of the Deaf community. I would read this book to my students to help them understand that just because someone is deaf does not mean that we should think of them differently. Hearing about what it is like to be deaf from Amy’s perspective is very eye-opening. I think this is a good book for hearing and deaf students. ( )
  crfonten | Apr 26, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0525671455, Library Binding)

Text and photographs depict the life of deaf fifth-grader Amy Rowley, who goes to a regular school and enjoys normal activities with the help of hearing aids and sign language.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:17 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible