Queen Elizabeth I by Susan Doran

Queen Elizabeth I

by Susan Doran

18None561,019 (4)None

No reviews

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0814719570, Hardcover)

Queen Elizabeth I, the daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, reigned from 1558 until her death in 1603 and is remembered not only as a powerful, often ruthless and successful monarch but also as a virtuous, gracious, and caring ruler.

This new biography of Elizabeth I, by a leading scholar, reveals a tough and determined "Virgin Queen", whose education, wit, and wisdom enabled her to succeed in the often turbulent and hostile world of her reign. Charting Elizabeth's childhood, schooling, and family life as well as her relationships with her ministers and suitors, Susan Doran discusses her motivation and the personal qualities that sustained her as queen. Her years in power were often dominated by political intrigue, marriage proposals, disputes over the succession, plots against her life, and warfare. Elizabeth made clever use of events, such as the defeat of the Spanish Armada, and unique interests and attributes, such as her love of theatrical pageant, to enhance her reputation and status. In an era of political and religious upheaval, Elizabeth I emerges as one of the most skillful and formidable monarchs in history.

Illustrated throughout with portraits, rare historical documents, and letters in Elizabeth's own hand, this book provides an engaging, authoritative account of Queen Elizabeth I's life and times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Queen Elizabeth I, the daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, reigned from 1558 to 1603 and is remembered not only as a powerful, often ruthless and successful monarch but also as a virtuous, gracious and caring ruler. This new biography of Elizabeth I reveals a tough and determined 'Virgin Queen', whose education, wit and wisdom enabled her to succeed in the often turbulent and hostile world of her reign. Charting Elizabeth's childhood, education and family life as well as her relationships with her ministers and suitors, the author discusses her motivation and the personal qualities that sustained her as queen. Throughout her years in power - often dominated by political intrigue, marriage proposals, disputes over the succession, plots against her life and warfare - Elizabeth made clever use of events, such as the defeat of the Spanish Armada, and attributes, such as her love of theatrical pageant, to enhance her reputation and status.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible