Daniel by Mary Christner Borntrager

There are stories. Then there are stories about stories.

I felt like "Daniel" by Mary Christner Borntrager was a story about a story. It seemed like someone was telling about a story that was heard rather than one that was experienced. The characters were not well developed. There were long sections where the story moved too quickly (not enough detail), and other places that felt draggy. Many of the conversations in the book felt artificial, almost like someone had said, "This book needs more dialogue", so the author tried to insert some.

Still it was a sweet story. I enjoy stories of the Amish, and I truly liked the family that this story was about. It was a very quick read -- no more than a couple of hours. I would have preferred the book to be longer, and to include more depth of character.

The author has written several other books, and I would be willing to give them a try. If I had to choose, though, between this author and other authors known for their Amish writings, I would read the other authors first. ( )
  Bandings | May 4, 2015 |

An Amish community is shocked when Hildie Weaver disappears, leaving her husband, Daniel, and her young hcildren behind. Daniel struggles to carefor his family and eke out a living on their farm.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,063,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible