Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks

Tempting Danger

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (1)

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh (rosamenz)
    rosamenz: top-notch paranormal romance written by an author with an equally good grasp of fantasy elements
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Utterly intriguing and first in a series. I love the main characters, Lily Yu (sensitive) a detective and a (hot) were named Rule Turner Fill the book with fireworks. Lily and Rule team up to try to stop a Lupi serial killer. There is a scene with Lily's cat "Dirty Harry" and Rule that is roll on the floor laughable. Many other interesting characters fill the story with magic and fun. The Grandmother, what a treat, she is somebody I can't wait to hear more about in the rest of the series. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Anyone who can write a scene where a cat stands up to a werewolf (Lupi) has won my heart over. That's just one of the amazing scenes in this book that had me giggling. Not to mention that amazing world building. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
I picked up this book many years after it was first published. I was interested in some of the later books in the series that were listed as Urban Fantasy, but of course wanted to start at the beginning. The review I read for Tempting Danger said that, despite the cover and marketing, this book was more UF than PNR. I’m not sure I totally agree with that statement, but since the protagonists weren’t trying to make out WHILE being chased by monsters, I’ll let it go. ;)

Main characters: I found the character of Lily Yu easy to like. She’s not only a woman in a “man’s” job; she’s a strong-willed woman from an Asian family. Yes, both of these statements play to a stereotype – just remember the book is at least 11 years old. Lily is working on her first big case as lead detective and desperately wants to prove her abilities. During the investigation, she gets sideswiped by a mystical mating bond to the city’s most famous playboy werewolf. Like her, I’d be furious at what’d I’d perceive as a forced pairing with someone she’s not even sure she likes, especially when it’s a distraction from a big career break. To top it all off, she can’t even get away from the guy she’s supposedly bonded to without terrible physical pain, so he’s hanging around all the time. Lily has plenty of family telling her what to do with her life; she doesn’t need the cosmos doing it as well.

At the same time, Rule Turner, highly visible representative of his werewolf pack, acknowledged heir, and socialite playboy, is experiencing one of the most honored experiences in his culture – that of having a Chosen. Yet, he can hardly enjoy the experience when his chosen is angry, doesn’t think much of him, and doesn’t believe in the blessings of his goddess. If that wasn’t enough, Rule has to help his Chosen solve a series of murders that seem to indicate that werewolves are killing humans before the backlash begins. Rule tries hard to be patient with Lily and does a pretty good job; but, at the same time he’s holding things back from her and that complicates the relationship. The two may be Chosen for each other, but they neither know nor trust each other quite yet.

Other characters: Rule’s friend Cullen, is a werewolf disowned by his clan because of his talent for sorcery. He is quite the smart-ass and like to appear to have flexible morals, but he comes through in the end. Max, the goblin who owns the nightclub Rule frequents, is vulgar but loyal. My favorite secondary character is Lily’s grandmother. Though Grandmother’s nature isn’t revealed in this book, we do know she is something … more.

World: The world is full of the supernatural, though normal humans may not notice. Werewolves have just recently announced their existence; but, there is still fear and prejudice. It’s not quite clear if other types of supernaturals are common knowledge, but I don’t think so. There are also powerful, inter-dimensional beings labeled as demons or gods. One of these gods, along with a few humans, is trying to break into our world. I don’t think I cared much for the villains of the book. There were stereotypical and didn’t interest me much. Hopefully as the series progresses, the villain will change.

Story: Everyone’s world is getting tossed upside down! Part of the story is how Lily and Rule deal with the mate bond; part is how they deal with the murders and the underlying cause of the murders. The story keeps moving and there are enough mysteries solved to make the ending satisfying.

Narrator: Again, the GraphicAudio full cast recording with background sounds made the story rich. You can read more about my thoughts in the previous review.

Overall: I like Rule and Lily and Cullen, but this first book didn’t quite suck me in as much as I would have thought. I think when I originally started reading the series, I read the first two or three books, and then trailed off. I kept buying the novels and even short stories, mind you, believing I’d get back to it. So there was enough there to make me want to continue – probably the promise of a good urban fantasy in the future.

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Sep 2, 2015 |
ABR's full Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi Book 1) audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I remember reading this book a couple of years ago, and I recall that I liked it but it seemed to be missing something….I don’t recall what (stupid me did not do a review at the time) but that something that makes you want to devour every book in the series back to back seemed to be missing. I had every intention of continuing the series but as my TBR list got longer and longer this one just got set further and further back. Now I know why, I was waiting for the graphic audio so I would have that full cast narration that just adds so much more to the storytelling. I LOVED the graphic audio for this story. The narration was great and the voices really seemed to fit the characters. I found the story to be much more engaging with this then simply reading it and cannot wait to move on to the rest of the series.

I’m not going to go into the details of what the book is about, if your reading this review you have most likely read the blurb on the book above so I’m not going to try to reword it. One thing that really stood out for me with this is the main character, Lily Yu. I have not read to many books (Urban Fantasy or others) with the heroine being Asian American and since it is not something I see/read often I found it very refreshing. I liked Rule as well, when I initially read the book the whole “chosen” one did not really work for me but having the story narrated seemed to make a difference for me. There were a lot of secondary characters and some of it was hard to keep track of….like what happened to the two magic users Cullen was with that the church group was looking for when they found him? Probably not important but that lack of follow up on them stands out to me. I enjoyed following Lily’s process to solve the murders and come to grips with “being a chosen” and watching Rule try to give Lily the space and time she needed to come to grips with who they were to each other. I really want to know more about Grandmother…..hopefully we get to see more of her and learn some of her secrets in future books.

One of my favorite lines from the story is while Rule is speeding from Clan home back into the City

“Lily cursed under her breath. He glanced at her, and pleasure fled. “I’ll slow down. You’re pale.” “I turn Caucasian at ninety miles an hour and up. Pay no attention.”

I know this type of narration would not work for all stories….but after listening to this, part of me wishes that all books could have this type of full cast narration…it just gives some much more “oomph” to the storytelling. So go on and get the graphic audio….you know you want too

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 17, 2015 |
New author for me...really enjoyed the story and I'm ordering the second in the series as I type. :) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |

Wilks, Eileenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackford, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He didn't have much face left.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425198782, Mass Market Paperback)

The USA Today bestselling author tempts success in this stunning debut novel.

National bestselling author Eileen Wilks draws readers into a bold new world where the magical and mundane co-exist in an uneasy alliance--and a cop balanced on her own knife-edged struggle is their only hope against a cold-blooded killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

When San Diego police detective Lily Yu enlists the help of a werewolf to catch a brutal serial killer, passion rages between them as they are plunged into a dark world of danger and evil.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,138,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible