Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks

Tempting Danger

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (1)

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh (rosamenz)
    rosamenz: top-notch paranormal romance written by an author with an equally good grasp of fantasy elements
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
ABR's full Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi Book 1) audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I remember reading this book a couple of years ago, and I recall that I liked it but it seemed to be missing something….I don’t recall what (stupid me did not do a review at the time) but that something that makes you want to devour every book in the series back to back seemed to be missing. I had every intention of continuing the series but as my TBR list got longer and longer this one just got set further and further back. Now I know why, I was waiting for the graphic audio so I would have that full cast narration that just adds so much more to the storytelling. I LOVED the graphic audio for this story. The narration was great and the voices really seemed to fit the characters. I found the story to be much more engaging with this then simply reading it and cannot wait to move on to the rest of the series.

I’m not going to go into the details of what the book is about, if your reading this review you have most likely read the blurb on the book above so I’m not going to try to reword it. One thing that really stood out for me with this is the main character, Lily Yu. I have not read to many books (Urban Fantasy or others) with the heroine being Asian American and since it is not something I see/read often I found it very refreshing. I liked Rule as well, when I initially read the book the whole “chosen” one did not really work for me but having the story narrated seemed to make a difference for me. There were a lot of secondary characters and some of it was hard to keep track of….like what happened to the two magic users Cullen was with that the church group was looking for when they found him? Probably not important but that lack of follow up on them stands out to me. I enjoyed following Lily’s process to solve the murders and come to grips with “being a chosen” and watching Rule try to give Lily the space and time she needed to come to grips with who they were to each other. I really want to know more about Grandmother…..hopefully we get to see more of her and learn some of her secrets in future books.

One of my favorite lines from the story is while Rule is speeding from Clan home back into the City

“Lily cursed under her breath. He glanced at her, and pleasure fled. “I’ll slow down. You’re pale.” “I turn Caucasian at ninety miles an hour and up. Pay no attention.”

I know this type of narration would not work for all stories….but after listening to this, part of me wishes that all books could have this type of full cast narration…it just gives some much more “oomph” to the storytelling. So go on and get the graphic audio….you know you want too

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 17, 2015 |
New author for me...really enjoyed the story and I'm ordering the second in the series as I type. :) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Wonderful start to a series! The tone of this book reminded me of a cross between the early Anita Blake series(the first book is: [b:Guilty Pleasures|30281|Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309206550s/30281.jpg|3349934]) and Patricia Briggs' Alpha & Omega series ([b:Cry Wolf|2355575|Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)|Patricia Briggs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1310494063s/2355575.jpg|2362332]).

Someone is trying to frame Rule Turner and homicide cop Lily Yu is the lead detective on the case. Things complicate the case when Lily finds out she's Turner's chosen mate. Wilks takes does an interesting take on the fate mate trope. Turner and Lily do not automatically fall in love in fact Lily tends to feel trapped by the mate bond. Especially since there's a lot about it that she doesn't understand. So like in Briggs' series, there's a lot of trust to be built and the romance is very slow burning.

I also enjoyed the grittiness of the world that Wilks has built in this series. Like in Hamilton's series the supernatural community is integrated within the human world. But there's a lot of conflict and prejudice between the two. This book takes place at a cross roads where its no longer legal to brand shifters or shoot them on sight, but there's still not many laws that protect them and people still largely fear anything not human. Its an interesting set-up for the novels and I can't wait to continue reading about Lily and Rule in the rest of the series. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Loved this book! Story was expanded and changed from original novella presentation, but it served to open the world to more possibilities ( )
  talenoree | Aug 2, 2014 |
Note: If you've read "Only Human," Eileen Wilks's short story appearing in the anthology Lover Beware, this story might be a bit jarring. It's a reboot of the story, shaping it a bit more to smooth into a series. While the "I just read this, sort of" aspects bothered me, I love the changes she made to the story.

Having read a later book in this series, it's also a bit frustrating to go back and experience the "rougher" beginnings, but I'm still on board for what is shaping up to be a captivating world. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |

Wilks, Eileenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackford, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He didn't have much face left.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425198782, Mass Market Paperback)

The USA Today bestselling author tempts success in this stunning debut novel.

National bestselling author Eileen Wilks draws readers into a bold new world where the magical and mundane co-exist in an uneasy alliance--and a cop balanced on her own knife-edged struggle is their only hope against a cold-blooded killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:37 -0400)

When San Diego police detective Lily Yu enlists the help of a werewolf to catch a brutal serial killer, passion rages between them as they are plunged into a dark world of danger and evil.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,714,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible