Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks

Tempting Danger

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (1)

6521914,774 (3.71)22
Recently added bygrapeapril75, Eisler, CristinaLogg, Bugetta, Ciarda, private library, Cynical_Ames
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh (rosamenz)
    rosamenz: top-notch paranormal romance written by an author with an equally good grasp of fantasy elements
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)

English (18)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
Loved this book! Story was expanded and changed from original novella presentation, but it served to open the world to more possibilities ( )
  talenoree | Aug 2, 2014 |
Note: If you've read "Only Human," Eileen Wilks's short story appearing in the anthology Lover Beware, this story might be a bit jarring. It's a reboot of the story, shaping it a bit more to smooth into a series. While the "I just read this, sort of" aspects bothered me, I love the changes she made to the story.

Having read a later book in this series, it's also a bit frustrating to go back and experience the "rougher" beginnings, but I'm still on board for what is shaping up to be a captivating world. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
So I have been off of urban fantasy for awhile now. Reading the newly released books in my favorite series but not starting any new urban fantasy series. If a friend hadn't recommended this series to me -- repeatedly, I wouldn't have read it. The cover doesn't call to me and urban fantasy just doesn't hold the same appeal to me anymore. And if I can avoid murder investigation urban fantasy books, I do. So there was a lot working against me picking up this book. But damn, I am so glad I read this book.

Tempting Danger is good, the story is good, the writing is good, the world is unique and the characters are even better. Many UF series depend on a sarcastic heroine that is abrasive and who is generally not liked by most of the side characters. There is none of that in this series. The main character is not rude nor is she funny, but she is strong and enjoyable to read about. She is actually a character I would enjoy meeting and I wanted her to succeed.

Shifters have been done and done. Police investigation UFs have also been done and done. But somehow, Tempting Danger approaches these storylines in a unique way. There are little surprises along the way and not everything is wrapped up perfectly, but it is done satisfyingly.

Because it is shifters and because there is a romance storyline there is a predictable theme -- the dreaded fated to be mated. I normally am not a fan. But this is the best fated to be mated storyline I have read. All the questions you would wonder yourself - like how does it feel to have all choice taken away and have a mate forced on you? Wilks doesn't tread lightly on this topic or romanticize it.

So how does it compare to other urban fantasy series? My favorites are Mercy Thompson, Katie Daniels, Psycop, Penryn & the End of Days, Experiment in Terror, Dresden Files, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Tempting Danger has good characters that I think will only get better. Wilks doesn't take the easy way out with her storylines and writes in a complex way. I can see it not appealing to everyone. She doesn't world build or define terms or belief systems. She expects her readers to pick it up along the way. She shows rather than tells. And personally I love that. It is a more complex way of telling a story and it means that the reader has to learn as she goes but it makes for a better story in my opinion. So to answer to my first question -- how does the World of the Lupi compare with my favorite UF series? Well, it wasn't compulsive must finish read but I still read it in about 3-4 days. I immediately bought the second in the series after I finished the first. I am not sure if this is going to be a favorite, but it has potential to become a favorite series of mine.

I cannot wait to continue on to the next book in the series. ( )
  ReginaR | Nov 10, 2013 |
It took me awhile to get into this book. Something about the pacing threw me off. I was also a bit confused about the world in the beginning.

After awhile I fell into the story and ended up enjoying it. I like the direction Wilks has gone with paranormal aspect. Giving werewolves civil rights is pretty ingenious.

Toward the end Lily, the heroine, started to bother me. I realize the mate-bond was forced on her and she needs time to adjust. But the way she kept Rule at a distance began to annoy me.

The action was well done and the suspense plot interesting. Overall a solid read. I plan to continue the series. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
I really wanted to like this one but I just couldn't. I still forced myself to read it till the end.
It was overly descriptive, I get that given the main character's profession it could have reason to be, but most of it felt like filler. The writing was unevenly paced, but dragged more often than not and the plot was not original enough to make up for it - in fact, as PNR goes, it wasn't original at all.

Still it wasn't badly written and it had potential to have been good, so 2 stars. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |

Wilks, Eileenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackford, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He didn't have much face left.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425198782, Mass Market Paperback)

The USA Today bestselling author tempts success in this stunning debut novel.

National bestselling author Eileen Wilks draws readers into a bold new world where the magical and mundane co-exist in an uneasy alliance--and a cop balanced on her own knife-edged struggle is their only hope against a cold-blooded killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:37 -0400)

When San Diego police detective Lily Yu enlists the help of a werewolf to catch a brutal serial killer, passion rages between them as they are plunged into a dark world of danger and evil.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible