Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks

Tempting Danger

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (1)

Recently added bySBShepherd, Rubys.books, KimSalyers, Amanda105, Aneris, BeckyThomas, private library, Meitschibei
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh (rosamenz)
    rosamenz: top-notch paranormal romance written by an author with an equally good grasp of fantasy elements
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Kitty series isn't quite as good as Wilks's Lupi series (in my opinion) but if you enjoyed one I think you're likely to enjoy the other. Both are urban fantasies with a werewolf theme. The Lupi series is well written with engaging characters in an interesting urban fantasy world, quite fast paced with some romance too :o). The Kitty series is good fun despite the occasional daft plot premise and unexplainable actions by characters.
    ps Patricia Brigg's Mercy series - starting with Moon Called - outshines both of these, but someone's already recommended that here so I had to make do with second best!
    … (more)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)

2.5 stars

I was in the mood for a new series I could sink my teeth into and become addicted over, but apparently this isn't going to be it.

'Tempting Danger' starts well enough - there's a murder, a mystery, a paranormal introduction...but then it adopts the cookie-cutter mold for the remainder.

Rule and Lily are mated together as destined, but it's kind of the most boring bonding I've seen. Her being his Chosen comes out of nowhere and neither seem that happy about it at first, other than some typical urges to touch each other. Since the Lupi aren't jealous or don't fall in love like humans, there's none of that normal obsessive stuff, or protective stuff, it's all dialed back and mellowed out. They also are just kind of emotionally and distantly attached from everything. Their chemistry was weak.

The story wasn't too bad for the 'suspense' angle, it just didn't hold my interest much. Solve a murder, find who is responsible, get suspicious of 'bad cops', enter a new task force that's paranormal and cool...sound familiar yet?

Lily isn't a bad character, but she blends into the wallpaper. Most of the characters do. Nothing stands out about them, including Rule, who is basically dull. Even the shapeshifter world seemed rather boring and non-conventional. And bedroom scenes? By the time they're there, I just didn't care since I didn't care about the couple. They're pretty straightforward and I skimmed.

I forced myself to finish the book, which is a shame since I figured it would draw me in more than it did. The writing style isn't bad, the author creates convincing dialogue, but the world was too familiar and not complex enough, with the characters being predictable and one-dimensional. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Tempting Danger
3.5 Stars

In a world where humans and other species live side by side, San Diego Homicide Detective, Lily Yu, is called in to investigate what appears to be a werewolf attack. When the prime suspect turns out to be Rule Turner, the Prince of the local pack, Lily’s loyalties are suddenly put to the test as her connection to the enigmatic Rule goes far deeper than mere attraction.

A well written story and the plot has potential. Nevertheless, the romance is only so-so and the world building is oftentimes derivative.

Perhaps my impressions of the world building stem from reading numerous series in the paranormal genre. However, the overriding feel is that many of the elements have been done before by other authors such as Kelley Armstrong’s “Women of the Otherworld”, Sherrilyn Kenyon’s “Were-Hunters”, Nalini Singh’s “Psy-Changeling”, and particularly Nancy Gideon’s “Moonlight” books, which also focus on a police officer/werewolf relationship.

Nevertheless, the story and the characters are appealing. The interactions between the humans and members of the various other species, as well as the complex portrayal of lupi politics, is interesting with undercurrents of animosity, prejudice, and racism. The plot is also quite complicated with several seemingly unrelated threads that ultimately merge into one comprehensive storyline.

The characters, both primary and secondary, are fleshed out well with detailed back stories that hint at interesting things to come. Lily is a likable heroine and it is entertaining to watch her attempt to navigate the different parts of her life whether it be her job or family commitments.

Unfortunately, Rule is not as appealing at first. There are certain aspects of his personality that put him in danger of joining the anti-hottie harem. While most of these issues are mitigated as more details are revealed throughout the book, his initial characterization as a sexually indiscriminate and possibly irresponsible womanizer makes it difficult to view him as an acceptable love interest and this puts a pall on the romance.

All in all, a solid beginning to the series and I am eager to find out what happens next with Lily, Rule, Benedict, Curran and, of course, Grandmother Yu. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I'm bumping my original rating a star because this book has really stuck with me. There was a bit of "1st-in-series-itis" but it wasn't as bad as a few other "1sts" I've read. I really enjoyed getting to know Rule and Lily. The paranormal bond was a neat spin on the whole "mating/destined love" thing. I like Lily's independence and her cop street smarts. Rule came off as a rogue at first, but even then he was sensitive and sweet, despite his feral inner nature.

I'll be continuing this series and can't wait to learn more about Grandmother. She is definitely more than she appears to be! Highly recommend this series. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 20, 2016 |
Utterly intriguing and first in a series. I love the main characters, Lily Yu (sensitive) a detective and a (hot) were named Rule Turner Fill the book with fireworks. Lily and Rule team up to try to stop a Lupi serial killer. There is a scene with Lily's cat "Dirty Harry" and Rule that is roll on the floor laughable. Many other interesting characters fill the story with magic and fun. The Grandmother, what a treat, she is somebody I can't wait to hear more about in the rest of the series. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Anyone who can write a scene where a cat stands up to a werewolf (Lupi) has won my heart over. That's just one of the amazing scenes in this book that had me giggling. Not to mention that amazing world building. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |

Wilks, Eileenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackford, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He didn't have much face left.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425198782, Mass Market Paperback)

The USA Today bestselling author tempts success in this stunning debut novel.

National bestselling author Eileen Wilks draws readers into a bold new world where the magical and mundane co-exist in an uneasy alliance--and a cop balanced on her own knife-edged struggle is their only hope against a cold-blooded killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

When San Diego police detective Lily Yu enlists the help of a werewolf to catch a brutal serial killer, passion rages between them as they are plunged into a dark world of danger and evil.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible