The Difference a Day Makes

by Carole Matthews

William and Amy Ashurst are typical townies, dedicated professionals at the top of their tree, with two adorable children and an au pair who cooks, cleans and cares for them all. Then one day Will collapses on his way into work and he decides he's never going back. So it is that, three months later, Amy is standing outside Helmshill Grange, a sullen monstrosity of a house, deep in the Yorkshire moors, with their own land as far as the eye can see. It's what William says he's always wanted, which is slightly worrying as he couldn't be bothered to do his own gardening in Notting Hill, and would rather pick up a book than a spade. Within days, Will's traded in their brand new Audi for a clapped out Land Rover, and brought home chickens, goats, sheep, a serial-killer cat and a mad dog. Then tragedy strikes and Amy learns that it's one thing living the dream, but when the dream is not your own, how long can it last?… (more)

The Difference a Day Makes had me laughing, crying and turning the pages as quick as I could. The story of a London couple with two children who head to the country after health issues turns into a drama when father and husband Will passes away. The choices Amy has to make for herself and her children are only further complicated by the introduction of plenty of farm animals, a vet named Guy and a terror of a dog known as Hamish. ( )
  eesti23 | Dec 2, 2012 |
I enjoyed this book. It was light but rather long. I actually thought the husband was very selfish and should have thought about the rest of his family and their lives. It is a massive decision buying a dog, yet alone moving!
I thought the dog was incredibly annoying too. I didn't find him funny, I just wanted to send teach him some discipline!
I remember actually being shocked at Will's outcome. I don't think I actually expected that. I also felt really bad for Amy's children when the estate agents where viewing the house. ( )
  sweetie_candykim | Apr 4, 2012 |
Not a bad little book. It contains the usually plot and characters, with no earth shattering revelations, but still a nice little read to pass the weekend. ( )
  moosenoose | Dec 19, 2011 |
This was my second book by Carole Matthews and it was more enjoyable than "It's A Kind Of Magic."
Both are light fun, but wheras It's a Kind of Magic has long chapters, "The Difference A Day Makes" has short ones with brisk descriptions and action.

A family with two young children unexpectedly move from the city to the countryside of Yorkshire, England. This is a big change for them and then there isn't enough time to work together on this new venture due to a sad turn of events.
It's a rollercoaster of upheavel and trying to settle down, only to have it change again.
An assortment of pets and farm animals provide much hoopla and bustle, especially Hamish - a Gordon Setter dog who is a prominent feature of the book and very rambunctious.

It is a lively story with a quiet but heartfelt touch of dolence.
The rural setting and animated cast are a treat to read about. ( )
  StoryB | Sep 21, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,705,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible