The Difference a Day Makes by Carole…

The Difference a Day Makes (edition 2009)

by Carole Matthews

Member:eesti23
Title:The Difference a Day Makes
Authors:Carole Matthews
Info:Headline Review (2009), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but Didn't Keep
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Yorkshire, London, children, husband, death, love, vet, animals, widow, countryside, humour

The Difference a Day Makes by Carole Matthews

The Difference a Day Makes had me laughing, crying and turning the pages as quick as I could. The story of a London couple with two children who head to the country after health issues turns into a drama when father and husband Will passes away. The choices Amy has to make for herself and her children are only further complicated by the introduction of plenty of farm animals, a vet named Guy and a terror of a dog known as Hamish. ( )
  eesti23 | Dec 2, 2012 |
I enjoyed this book. It was light but rather long. I actually thought the husband was very selfish and should have thought about the rest of his family and their lives. It is a massive decision buying a dog, yet alone moving!
I thought the dog was incredibly annoying too. I didn't find him funny, I just wanted to send teach him some discipline!
I remember actually being shocked at Will's outcome. I don't think I actually expected that. I also felt really bad for Amy's children when the estate agents where viewing the house. ( )
  sweetie_candykim | Apr 4, 2012 |
Not a bad little book. It contains the usually plot and characters, with no earth shattering revelations, but still a nice little read to pass the weekend. ( )
  moosenoose | Dec 19, 2011 |
This was my second book by Carole Matthews and it was more enjoyable than "It's A Kind Of Magic."
Both are light fun, but wheras It's a Kind of Magic has long chapters, "The Difference A Day Makes" has short ones with brisk descriptions and action.

A family with two young children unexpectedly move from the city to the countryside of Yorkshire, England. This is a big change for them and then there isn't enough time to work together on this new venture due to a sad turn of events.
It's a rollercoaster of upheavel and trying to settle down, only to have it change again.
An assortment of pets and farm animals provide much hoopla and bustle, especially Hamish - a Gordon Setter dog who is a prominent feature of the book and very rambunctious.

It is a lively story with a quiet but heartfelt touch of dolence.
The rural setting and animated cast are a treat to read about. ( )
  StoryB | Sep 21, 2010 |

Will and Amy are typical townies, successful professionals with two children and an au pair who looks after them all. Then one day Will collapses on his way into work and he decides they should move to the Yorkshire moors. Will is living his dream, but Amy realises that trying to live someone else's dream is not so easy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,020,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible