The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff

The Story of Babar

by Jean de Brunhoff

Series: Babar (1)

Recently added byAThurkettle, s.vang, katekatekathryn, Beammey, JuliaDawkins, JTansom, private library, AR_bookbird
Legacy LibrariesEdward Estlin Cummings

The Story of Babar: the little elephant is a trade book about Babar the little elephant who loses his mother at a young age and wonders off into the city. He is exposed to many new things in the city and soon adapts to the French lifestyle. The illustrations in The Story of Babar: the little elephant is colorful with some black and white illustrations. The illustrations are drawn with pen and colored in. Teachers can use this book to read as a fun and exciting book about elephants. I enjoy this book because it was funny and I love elephants. ( )
  s.vang | Nov 28, 2015 |
THE STORY OF BABAR: THE LITTLE ELEPHANT is about a young elephant who lost his mother at a young age and was then taken into the cities. He meet new people in this strange place to him. Then he integrates himself into their society by meeting a friend, buying new clothes, and starts acting as if he is one of them. The pictures in this book are very colorful with detail and allows them to change from being wild to being like a human. Overall this book is interesting and I would not use this book to teach about in the classroom. ( )
  CSpear25 | Nov 15, 2015 |
28 months - read this to O three times so far. I was a bit surprised by the two death scenes in the story but we still rather enjoyed it. I always like to read older classics with O because they don't beat around the bush with what we consider sensitive topics that are now taboo to write about in kids books. I think my daughter was 22 months the first time she mentioned death and actually understood the meaning. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
When I first read this book as a child, I loved it. However, reading it now again as an adult, I realize it has many issues and I no longer like it like I did. The major issue I have with this book is that it seems to shoot off in many directions, with no major plot line to follow or follow the rising action, climax, falling action model that many stories do. While there was a plot, the plot seemed to go off in many directions and many of the pieces of the story seem to come out of nowhere. The biggest example of this is when the Elders name Babar King, or when he decides to marry his cousin and make her Queen. Another example is that the first thought that pops into Babar's head when he sees his cousin is to buy them clothes. Maybe I am just not understanding the book, but there is no clear reason or big message behind this book. Another problem I have with this book is that it does not elicit any hard thinking on the reader's part. While you can use this book to show storytelling and have kids make their own story for Babar, the book does not have a major problem or push the reader to think about the story. As I stated earlier, there is no major message behind this book, maybe other than everything turns out okay in the end. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Sep 1, 2015 |
We went back through our blue hardcover book that is a collection of the "best of 20th century" fiction for children. My son and I realized that there were 3 stories we never read, this being the second. This was by far the lamest excuse for a story I've ever seen, even worse than "Jenny Linsky & the Cat Club." This goes to show that we either had terrific intuition in skipping these stories in the first place, or, it's impossible to go back when your child is in (or you are in) 4th grade and appreciate what is written for younger children. I believe the issue is the former because we still love "The Tub People", but how, then, was this chosen to represent the best of the century? I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas on this..... ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Jean de Brunhoffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haas, Merle S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitten im Urwald ist ein kleiner Elefant auf die Welt gekommen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394805755, Hardcover)

The Story of Babar--the early adventures of the enduring, endearing elephant--was written in 1931 by French writer Jean de Brunhoff (1899-1937). Since then, it has been translated into at least 12 languages. It's amazing how much can happen to one little elephant in the course of one little book: Babar loses his mother to a hunter, wanders into the city, gets a new wardrobe, becomes the hit of high society, marries his cousin Céleste (totally acceptable in contemporary Elephantine society), and is crowned King of the Elephants.

The Story of Babar is essentially the tale of a country boy who comes to the city and, while there, comes of age. In the end, he returns home to share his knowledge and experiences with family and friends. The beautiful, delightfully detailed illustrations--de Brunhoff was a painter by trade--never fail to amuse. (Although none of the characters seem to notice, the sight of Babar in a suit leaning against the mantel while he regales his audience with tales of the jungle is plainly hilarious.) All of the Babar books are notable for their ability to tell larger stories with simplicity and style, and The Story of Babar is no exception. Potentially troubling moments--the death of Babar's mother, for example--are handled with taste, emphasizing Babar's unique gift for uncovering a silver lining in the most persistent of clouds. (Ages 4 to 8, though the cursive writing makes it best for reading aloud.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

When his mother is killed by a hunter, Babar the baby elephant must learn to fend for himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible