The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff

The Story of Babar

by Jean de Brunhoff

Series: Babar (1)

When I first read this book as a child, I loved it. However, reading it now again as an adult, I realize it has many issues and I no longer like it like I did. The major issue I have with this book is that it seems to shoot off in many directions, with no major plot line to follow or follow the rising action, climax, falling action model that many stories do. While there was a plot, the plot seemed to go off in many directions and many of the pieces of the story seem to come out of nowhere. The biggest example of this is when the Elders name Babar King, or when he decides to marry his cousin and make her Queen. Another example is that the first thought that pops into Babar's head when he sees his cousin is to buy them clothes. Maybe I am just not understanding the book, but there is no clear reason or big message behind this book. Another problem I have with this book is that it does not elicit any hard thinking on the reader's part. While you can use this book to show storytelling and have kids make their own story for Babar, the book does not have a major problem or push the reader to think about the story. As I stated earlier, there is no major message behind this book, maybe other than everything turns out okay in the end. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Sep 1, 2015 |
We went back through our blue hardcover book that is a collection of the "best of 20th century" fiction for children. My son and I realized that there were 3 stories we never read, this being the second. This was by far the lamest excuse for a story I've ever seen, even worse than "Jenny Linsky & the Cat Club." This goes to show that we either had terrific intuition in skipping these stories in the first place, or, it's impossible to go back when your child is in (or you are in) 4th grade and appreciate what is written for younger children. I believe the issue is the former because we still love "The Tub People", but how, then, was this chosen to represent the best of the century? I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas on this..... ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I'm afraid this is one children's classic that I did not like at all upon reading as an adult. I can appreciate the iconic illustrations and can certainly see why Babar made an enduring character, especially when the books were first published, as probably many children found the antics of an elephant in the city humorous.
Unfortunately, Babar's story unfolds like a bizarre French colonial wish fulfillment and the translation to English left something to be desired. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 30, 2015 |
Originally published in 1931 as Histoire de Babar, le petite éléphant, this classic children's picture-book, the first of a number of titles to chronicle the adventures of its eponymous elephantine hero, has sparked quite a bit of debate in the field of children's literature. Condemned by some as a colonialist fantasy - most notably, see Herbert R. Kohl's Should We Burn Babar?: Essays on Children's Literature and the Power of Stories - and defended by others as a comic parody of that fantasy - see Adam Gopnik's essay, Freeing the Elephants: What Babar Brought, published in The New Yorker magazine - it seems to excite quite a bit of commentary from adult readers. Whether child readers perceive these themes, or are harmed by them, is another question altogether.

Although not one of my great favorites as a girl, I do vaguely recall reading the Babar books when young, and while I can't remember any of the specifics regarding my reaction to them - clearly, as my friends and family can attest, they didn't turn me into an apologist for colonialism - I liked them well enough. Rereading this as an adult, I was struck by how very un-sweet this supposedly sweet tale is, and I'm not thinking of the colonialist themes alone. From Babar's mother being shot in front of his eyes, to the former elephant king dropping dead (in a shriveled green heap!) after eating a poisoned mushroom, there's plenty here that might be considered traumatic. Oddly enough, I don't remember any of that from my childhood reading either, which suggests that my younger self was focused more on the adventure as a whole, rather than on specific incidents. Or perhaps that I was just less bothered by the traumatic than I am currently?

In any case, in answer to the question of whether we should we burn Babar - no, obviously not. Nor should we ban him, or try to dissuade others from reading him. The book is certainly a little dated, and it reflects the colonial reality of its day, but I'm undecided as to whether it praises and/or defends that reality, rather than just referencing it, the way so many stories reference the zeitgeist of their time, and am uncomfortable with the notion of condemning it, when the reasons for doing so are not clear to me. I suppose if I felt more strongly about the story itself - unlike the artwork, which I find charming, I am largely indifferent to the narrative - I would find it easier to decide. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 26, 2013 |
The story itself is nothing too unique or amazing, but has a very clear and sweet plot that would be easy for younger readers to follow. The story and illustrations do feel a tad dated, but I feel that younger readers would be able to overlook that. One point to note is that a couple characters do die in the process of the story, though it is nothing graphic or dramatic. The story follows Babar's journey as he heads to a city and becomes a gentleman with the assistance of his friend the Old Lady, and his later journey back home to become elephant king.

Reading Level: 3.1 ( )
  Kaitlyn.Johnston | Feb 16, 2013 |

Jean de Brunhoffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haas, Merle S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitten im Urwald ist ein kleiner Elefant auf die Welt gekommen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394805755, Hardcover)

The Story of Babar--the early adventures of the enduring, endearing elephant--was written in 1931 by French writer Jean de Brunhoff (1899-1937). Since then, it has been translated into at least 12 languages. It's amazing how much can happen to one little elephant in the course of one little book: Babar loses his mother to a hunter, wanders into the city, gets a new wardrobe, becomes the hit of high society, marries his cousin Céleste (totally acceptable in contemporary Elephantine society), and is crowned King of the Elephants.

The Story of Babar is essentially the tale of a country boy who comes to the city and, while there, comes of age. In the end, he returns home to share his knowledge and experiences with family and friends. The beautiful, delightfully detailed illustrations--de Brunhoff was a painter by trade--never fail to amuse. (Although none of the characters seem to notice, the sight of Babar in a suit leaning against the mantel while he regales his audience with tales of the jungle is plainly hilarious.) All of the Babar books are notable for their ability to tell larger stories with simplicity and style, and The Story of Babar is no exception. Potentially troubling moments--the death of Babar's mother, for example--are handled with taste, emphasizing Babar's unique gift for uncovering a silver lining in the most persistent of clouds. (Ages 4 to 8, though the cursive writing makes it best for reading aloud.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

When his mother is killed by a hunter, Babar the baby elephant must learn to fend for himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,803,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible