And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (1939)

by Agatha Christie

English (249)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (276)
The cleverness in this mystery lies in the death of the murderer as well as all the victims. It definitely misleads the reader and makes the whole mystery an exercise in the strangeness of psychopaths. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 17, 2016 |
"Crime and its punishment has always fascinated me. I enjoy reading every kind of detective story and thriller. I have devised for my own private amusement the most ingenious ways of carrying out a murder."

I am so mad that I didn't solve the mystery!!!! You win, Christie. Well played. ( )
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
A fun, fast read with a mysterious vibe and a fairly interesting set of characters. Unfortunately, that's all that it was to me. It lacked the depth that I look for in fiction. Still enjoyable and a good way to spend a couple hours of reading.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
This is one of Agatha Christie's best mysteries. Ten people on an island. They start being murdered. Who will be next? Really very good. ( )
  MCDyson | Mar 26, 2016 |

Originally posted here

What an introduction to Agatha Christie, this book is brilliant. A classic whodunit mystery, it kept me guessing right to the very last page. Ten people with unsavoury pasts are lured to a mysterious little island off the coast of Devon, to a newly built luxury house. Before long, people start dying and accusations start flying. I had so many theories as to who the killer was but I would never have guessed the final reveal.

The story is so haunting, it gripped me from the beginning. The atmosphere in this book is so terrifying, these people are stranded on a grey island battered by rough seas and storms with no hope of rescue. None of the characters are likeable which adds to the charm. The creepy nursery rhyme and the figurines were brilliant foreboding plot devices, just when I thought I knew who the killer was that person was the next to die. By the end of the book, I wondered whether justice was done and these people deserved to die. A great morally ambiguous mystery. Highly recommend. ( )
  4everfanatical | Mar 15, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, Encarnasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 969 books! | Top bar: Always visible