And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (1939)

by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Patangel)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie (MarcusBrutus)
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie (eclt83)
    Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff (OwenGriffiths)
    R.I.P. by Philip MacDonald (Anonymous user)
    The Ninth Guest by Gwen Bristow (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Invited guests murdered one-by-one by their host.
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: No way onto the island and no way off...
    1984 by George Orwell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: No thematic relation, but these two books both profoundly disturbed me.

English (260)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (287)
engaging suspense ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to pick up Dame Christie's books. I love the psychology of a good mystery and have wished upon a library shelf quite often for a new series to jump into.

I think it's because it's easy to feel as if you've already read the majority of Christie's books. Most modern mystery, crime/procedurals, and crime/suspense books & shows borrow her themes at some point or another. Sure, there's variation, but you end up feeling as though you've gotten the gist.

Because of such gist-getting and the all too common avalanches of my harrowing TBR mountain, Agatha Christie books were unceremoniously relegated to the back burner.

Quite true, Flynn. Quite true.

But, as of a recent trip to the library and subsequent reading sesh, I've gotten the chance to delight in our Dame's wonderful And Then There Were None at long last.

While it's a quick read, it's a good one. For one thing, because of how popular Christie's themes are in modern crime stories in every medium, it feels immediately like a comfort read. One deserving of a snuggle in your favorite blanket and a hot cup of tea, steaming away alongside you as you experience the rising action of the book. Secondly, it prods you along on an enjoyable foray into character psychology. It's not as simplistic as your average whodunit, even if you do happen across the answer along the way, because Christie disperses motive and opportunity in such a way that you end up in the intriguing position of analyzing each character to enticing depths.

So, for anyone else that might have some of the Dame's books sitting upon a back burner, hopefully you'll find a free afternoon sometime soon to shake off the gist and experience the original. It's worth it!

lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
The plot is really simple. There are ten people on an island and they are being murdered one by one. After they have established that the deaths are crimes and not accidents, the remaining people people search the island and discover that the killer has to be one of them because there is nobody else there and they can’t get off the island due to bad weather.

All the characters are hiding a dark secret. They are all responsible for another person’s death. They have never murdered anybody, but their actions led to someone’s death in a more or less direct way.

As more people are being murdered, we can see how the lack of knowledge and of trust is affecting the remaining characters. It reaches the point where nobody is allowed to go alone anywhere because the others think they may poison the food or set a trap. Another thing that is responsible for the growing mistrust and nervousness is that not only is someone killing people, but also little statues are disappearing. There were ten little figures of black people at first. Every time a murder occurs, a figure vanishes. That all the crimes follow the lines of a poem and seem to be unavoidable doesn’t have a positive effect on the future bodies either.

In order to fully enjoy this novel, one has to agree to believe that everything in this master plan is happening as it should, no matter how unlikely it is that not even one of the many potential victims discovers the truth. In fact, one has to reach literally the last few pages to find out who the killer is. Throughout the book there are clues that point to who the murderer is not, but I don’t think there is anything that suggests who that person is.

I specially liked how the author portrays the effect the murders have on the characters, specifically once they realize that no help is coming. Although not everybody’s reaction is described in great detail, a general feeling of fear is successful.

I know there are people who say this is the best Agatha Christie novel and I don’t think I can fully agree until I have read them all, but I can say that this is the best one I’ve read. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
This is my favorite book. The plot holds together perfectly. The killer is unpredictable all along, and yet, once revealed, it makes perfect sense. This is a master piece. ( )
  LaraSaad | Jun 21, 2016 |

Edited review for a re-read with Evgeny and the island of the other pantless people.

I have now read this brilliant book three times. Yes, it's worth it.

Let's set an ominous mood/opening with Agatha Christie's creative writing ability -

Her lips moved as she followed the words: 'The heathen are sunk down in the pit that they made: in the net in which they hid is their own foot taken. The Lord is known by the judgment which he executeth; the wicked is snared in the work of their own hands. The wicked shall be turned into hell."...Rising, she pinned a brooch at her neck, and went down to dinner.

Agatha Christie lists this amazing mystery as her favorite book that she wrote in terms of complexity and cleverness. I couldn't agree more, she should be proud of herself. It's the favorite for many of her fans.

I have to give this mystery an A for creative effort displaying a multitude of crimes and making it hard to know with certainty who the monster is behind the mask. The afterword from the culprit is clever, providing an intriguing, different sort of motive. The whole book is fascinating, but that ending just caps it off with a grand finale - she took a villain and gave them a motive that actually makes sense in a twisted, macabre way. Combining a homicidal sociopath who can't feel emotion but has other things in mind that steer their hand away from brainless violence to morals of right and wrong. I haven't read a villain written that way before or since.

The beginning with the record playing leads to exciting drama; being inside the minds of different characters is fascinating. She covered bizarre motives and so many different types of outlooks/motives/and personality types. All characters are intriguing and gripping; you get the treat of reading a mixture of people - those who shrug off their crimes and those haunted by it.

By the time the book is finished, characters are fresh in my mind and have come to life (and death) concretely - Vera, the girl who sucks men in with her vulnerability but hides a haunted heart; Emily Brent, an uptight religious fanatic who thinks she can do no wrong; Lombard, an easy-go-lucky guy who shrugs away his victims as long as he can make that great escape; Blore, a detective not adverse to breaking the law to suit his own means; Marston, a young man who speeds through life while paying no heed to consequence; MacArthur, a man obsessed with his wife while she was alive - and dead; the Rogers pair, devoted and loyal servants who thought of themselves in the end; Wargrave, an unsympathetic judge who'd rather hang them high than give them a second chance; and Armstrong, the doctor who stayed as devoted to drink as he did to medicine.

The island seems haunting and awesome surrounded by the sea spray, the big ominous house where everyone is constantly looking over their shoulder, and the finale all makes this a delight for mystery (and non-mystery) readers everywhere. Throw in the clever rhyme framed in the rooms, the Indian pieces that go missing one by one on the dining room table, and you get mystery bliss. If you haven't read this one yet, do so, because you're in for a real treat.

As a side note - I wonder if King paid tribute to this when writing Dolores Claiborne. Claiborne is not Claythorne, but they rhyme, and Vera is the name of the other MC/Partner in crime other than Dolores on the island. They lived on Little Tall Island, and Agatha Christie's story was on an island. Dolores Claiborne was about the murder and crime of someone who had gotten away with it...while And then There were none was also about people who got away with their crimes.

And another side note - this book has a complicated history with its name, which has now changed at least three times. First it used the original poem and title, "Ten Little N*", but changed for racism reasons to "Ten Little Indians", then was changed for racism reasons again to "And then there were none."

And finally, if you're ever in the mood to play an old, click and direct PC game, And Then There Were None is difficult but addicting, has glorious music score, and makes a nice escape on a rainy day.

....And the BBC Version in Dec 2015 is simply, truly awesome. Watch it and love it. It's a top favorite movie of mine now that I've seen it. Definitely beats down the other movie versions, which I basically hated.

That's all now, really. I need to close this out before I think of more side notes.

/gush ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, Encarnasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,765,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible