And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None

by Agatha Christie

Recently added byElephant_turtle, private library, sevlivre, Sareene, lisarenea, LSS312, jlhmom, PAatL, Sarah3969, ceciliachard
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Patangel)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie (MarcusBrutus)
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie (eclt83)
    Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff (OwenGriffiths)
    The List of Adrian Messenger by Philip MacDonald (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Killer working on a selected group, and with a high body count.
    The Ninth Guest by Gwen Bristow (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Invited guests murdered one-by-one by their host.
    R.I.P. by Philip MacDonald (Anonymous user)
    The Possessors by John Christopher (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: No way onto the island and no way off...
    1984 by George Orwell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: No thematic relation, but these two books both profoundly disturbed me.

English (271)  Italian (9)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (299)
Continuing my November is vintage murder theme. This is one of the first mysteries I read. As a locked-room mystery, is it still great? Or have I passed my personal golden age of crime so long ago?

2008 November 11

It is still great. Least probable book ever, but a really intricate puzzle. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
[And Then There Were None] aka [Ten Little Indians] by Agatha Christie

This is a new one for me!! I have often said I was the only breathing human on the planet that didn’t like Agatha Christie..so where in the world did those 5 stars come from? I will have to reevaluate my statement to I am the only breathing human on the planet that doesn’t like Agatha Christie…EXCEPT for [And Then There Was None]

A group of ten strangers is invited or hired for a long weekend on Indian Island, a mile off the Devon coast. It is somewhat improbable that these ten would all accept such a vague invitation from a host they do not know to a place they have never seen before, but each for his or her own reasons accepts. They include a doctor, a games mistress, a soldier of fortune, a rich playboy, a retired policeman, a judge, a spinster, a retired general and a married couple who are to be the servants. They arrive on a bleak rocky island to a completely modern house with all the amenities. The fires are welcoming, there is an ample supply of food, the servants are impeccable, but their host is absent. In each of the bedrooms, the Ten Little Indians nursery rhyme is posted on a prominent wall. It begins:

"Ten Little Indian boys went out to dine…
One choked his little self, and then there were nine.---

Drinks are served, and one guest chokes, turns blue and falls over dead. Now the tension begins to build. Fright runs in the hearts of the stranded people as one by one they are picked off…each in accordance with that cursed nursery rhyme. As the number of victims increase, the survivors' suspicions of each other also increase. When the police arrive and find them all dead….the question remains “Who is the murderer? It has to be one of the survivors…but which one?

[And Then There Were None] is told in short choppy chapters. The strange thing is that none of the characters are even likable. Christie toys with the idea of a serial killer long before such an animal was even heard of. This is an excellent story, and the author is so far ahead of the reader’s reasoning that you will never guess who the guilty party is. If you do manage to figure out the “who" and the "how" then you have my highest respects. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 12, 2016 |
I believe this is the first Christie I have ever read. I thought I had this figured out. Nope. A little while later, I thought I had it figured out again. Ha! Fooled again. Then I came to the ending and felt like a total fool for even trying to figure out whodunit. Will be reading more of her work in the future. ( )
  EllAreBee | Oct 3, 2016 |
3 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to pick up Dame Christie's books. I love the psychology of a good mystery and have wished upon a library shelf quite often for a new series to jump into.

I think it's because it's easy to feel as if you've already read the majority of Christie's books. Most modern mystery, crime/procedurals, and crime/suspense books & shows borrow her themes at some point or another. Sure, there's variation, but you end up feeling as though you've gotten the gist.

Because of such gist-getting and the all too common avalanches of my harrowing TBR mountain, Agatha Christie books were unceremoniously relegated to the back burner.

Quite true, Flynn. Quite true.

But, as of a recent trip to the library and subsequent reading sesh, I've gotten the chance to delight in our Dame's wonderful And Then There Were None at long last.

While it's a quick read, it's a good one. For one thing, because of how popular Christie's themes are in modern crime stories in every medium, it feels immediately like a comfort read. One deserving of a snuggle in your favorite blanket and a hot cup of tea, steaming away alongside you as you experience the rising action of the book. Secondly, it prods you along on an enjoyable foray into character psychology. It's not as simplistic as your average whodunit, even if you do happen across the answer along the way, because Christie disperses motive and opportunity in such a way that you end up in the intriguing position of analyzing each character to enticing depths.

So, for anyone else that might have some of the Dame's books sitting upon a back burner, hopefully you'll find a free afternoon sometime soon to shake off the gist and experience the original. It's worth it!

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.
The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carlo and Mary, this is their book, dedicated to them with much affection.
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathereed together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,756,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible