And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None

by Agatha Christie

Recently added byZielinski_Library, rasikaceg, TrulyAragorn, dpseppe, AntT, rjc146, phoebekw, private library, DMBGC

English (205)  Italian (6)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (228)
Great classic mystery. ( )
  Joel.Mount | Jan 24, 2015 |
I am not a Christie fan -- but this book transcends type. It robbed me of my sleep. ( )
  Kelley.Logan | Jan 16, 2015 |
The version I read has paragraph by Agatha Christie about the story; she wanted to create a mystery like this and was satisfied that she had done it so well and without cheating.

SPOILER: I liked the fact that there were two points near the end of the book with all the clues needed to figure out whodunit. The first before the epilogue, in which police come to the inaccessible island and discover ten dead bodies and conclude that they cannot solve the case and the second after the epilogue and before the manuscript in which the murderer explains the how and why of everything and even points out the three clues that the reader should have noticed.
Each person on the island is accused of murder, but I have my doubts. One woman fired a young woman because she was "in trouble" and the young woman committed suicide. While the employer's actions were not kind, I don't think they were criminal. Someone suggested that perhaps this example was Agatha Christie's way of showing that she was opposed to the death penalty! An adventurer admitted that he and his friends left their native guides to die but explained that natives don't mind dying the way that civilized people do. There is a Jewish man who helps arrange for the adventurer to be on the island, but there is an Italian-sounding man involved with him: I willing to believe that Ms. Christie is not prejudiced, but merely pointing out the prejudices of others. ( )
  raizel | Jan 5, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, and I sit here wondering "Why haven't I read any Agatha Christie before now?". Someone (no spoilers) sets out to mete their own means of justice to those seemingly above the law by committing 10 perfect murders on the remote Soldier Island. I was guessing the whole book, and I admit I was no where close to who I thought it was. I'm amazed at how quickly Christie makes the reader attached to these characters. This is a book that anyone can enjoy. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Ten people are invited to vacation or work on an isolated island. Their host is no where to be found and, one by one, they are being murdered with no means of escape. It sounds like a horror novel but it's pure mystery. Who's the murderer and where can he be hiding? How can the people remaining best protect themselves, and what can they learn from each successive murder that will help them?

It's a rare novel I can be gripped by enough to read in a weekend, but this was one of them. I've read a lot of the author's work but always her Poirot stories, and it was a near-tragedy that I overlooked this one for so long until ... thank you LT for ranking this as her most popular work. As always with Agatha Christie, it did not go where I expected and I did not guess the culprit. Foiled again! ( )
  Cecrow | Nov 24, 2014 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rivière, FrançoisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermaenius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
* This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.

* AKA Ten Little Niggers / Ten Little Indians.

* (fin) Vuoden 2003 painos nimellä: Eikä yksikään pelastunut

Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or most "accurate one." Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,061,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible