And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None

by Agatha Christie

English (193)  Italian (6)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (216)
It's a good book, but I think it's a little overrated. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
A perennial work on stage and screen. The book is well known. Very elementary as far as mysteries are concerned, but then again, I may be spoiled by knowing it too well. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is the first book I've read by Agatha Christie. I've watched Poirot and Miss. Marple series, but have neglected to read any of her novels until now. And I'm glad I made the leap.

And Then There Were None is a thrilling story about ten strangers that are invited to a mysterious island by a mysterious host. There they are each incriminated for murder by the mysterious host. That very night a guest/victim dies. The strangers are freaked out and vow to leave the island in the morning. Only they can't. And more people keep dying.

This is a really fantastic novel. It will keep you guessing until the end. I enjoyed the way Christie laid out the story; the background she gave us of each character adding to the thrill. And of course it dabbles with the question of whether we should take justice into our own hands. If you've not had an opportunity to read this book, I recommend it. It's perfect for a rainy afternoon!

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2014/06/review-and-then-there-were-none-by.html... ( )
1 vote mt256 | Jul 8, 2014 |

I believe the copy I own is "And Then There were None" and I bookcrossed "Ten Little Indians".

Justifiably one of Christie's best and about as scary and creepy as a murder mystery can get. I know there have been film adaptions with a less deadly ending but that is what really gives it the power.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I read this book my freshman year of high school. It was okay. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sabine DeitmerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermaenius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
* This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.

* AKA Ten Little Niggers / Ten Little Indians.

* (fin) Vuoden 2003 painos nimellä: Eikä yksikään pelastunut

Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or most "accurate one." Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible