And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (original 1939; edition 2009)

by Agatha Christie

Member:dshamilton
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Masterpiece ed, Kindle Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Kindle

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (1939)

English (251)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (278)
This was a very unique story by Christie. The murderer is very clever and like every Christie villain I do not feel sorry for him. I also do not feel very sorry for the victims either. The plot is very interesting. The murderer wants to get those who killed but in a way that law could not get them or even see that they had killed at all. The story is fast paced. The whole novel lasts three days and four nights. The ending was very good. The killer ends the story by writing a letter and tossing it into the sea; if the fates wanted it to be found it would be. The strongest part of the story is the characterization. I believed in this people. I believed that they had killed, some without intent, others with it. I did not discover who the murderer was until the letter. Christie out did herself on this one.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library. ( )
  lrainey | May 25, 2016 |
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie ****

Originally published as 'Ten Little Niggers' & then 'Ten Little Indians', it was then released under it's more pc name for the more modern audience. This novel alone has sold over 100 million copies.

Typical murder mystery, a group of strangers are all invited to a house on an island. One by one they get killed off by an unknown assailant. The deaths appear to follow the pattern that is set out in a nursery rhyme that is found throughout the house. As the remaining members try to figure out who is the killer it becomes apparent that they all have some sort of murky secret hidden in their past.

I have read quite a few Christie books and she is one of the few female authors I tend to pick up. This novel has often been cited as her masterpiece, although for me, it wasn't as brilliant or readable as some of her other books (My own favourite being 'The Murder of Roger Akroyd'). Although worthy of 4 stars I found certain parts of it a little too clichéd and some of the character's actions a bit on the unbelievable side. Having said that, the ending was fairly unexpected (and a little unbelievable) and I enjoyed the way in which the characters previous lives unfolded. I have to say that at certain times I think I suspected the majority of the people and that just goes to show how masterfully Christies crafted the novel.

Easily recommendable to anyone that is a fan of the genre or as an introduction to the author. ( )
  Bridgey | May 25, 2016 |
This is one of the best books of Agatha Christie. This book made me get up at night dripped in sweat.

An Island, Ten people. No one knows who is the host. Even the butler and his wife is clueless. All have a past which is troublesome. And one after another people start dying, leaving the other to doubt on each other, as the island is lonely without a escape route.

Till the end it kept me on my edge and I couldn't even guess the killer.

PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
The cleverness in this mystery lies in the death of the murderer as well as all the victims. It definitely misleads the reader and makes the whole mystery an exercise in the strangeness of psychopaths. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 17, 2016 |
"Crime and its punishment has always fascinated me. I enjoy reading every kind of detective story and thriller. I have devised for my own private amusement the most ingenious ways of carrying out a murder."

I am so mad that I didn't solve the mystery!!!! You win, Christie. Well played. ( )
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, Encarnasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,882,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible