And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (original 1939; edition 2009)

by Agatha Christie

9,266None321 (4.08)193
Member:dshamilton
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Masterpiece ed, Kindle Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Kindle

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (1939)

Recently added byY2Ash, wakkobr, EmilyKM, Lulim, cgs97, SCPeterson, LiberStudiosus, patsaintsfan, dysmonia, private library
20th century (76) Agatha Christie (189) British (132) British literature (53) British mystery (30) Christie (51) classic (127) classics (89) crime (239) crime fiction (102) detective (134) England (110) English (37) fiction (881) grade 8 (42) island (58) islands (29) literature (40) murder (219) murder mystery (55) mystery (1,759) novel (133) own (48) paperback (39) read (142) suspense (96) thriller (82) to-read (90) UK (28) whodunnit (39)

English (187)  Italian (6)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (210)
Everyone has heard of Agatha Christie, yet I had never read her. Of course I saw the movie "Murder on the Orient Express" and I think there was another one when I was in high school. But mostly I remember a movie based on a period in Agatha Christie's life when she disappeared. The movie, called "Agatha", starred Vanessa Redgrave and Dustin Hoffman. In the movie, she plans her own suicide in such a way as to look like her husband's mistress had killed her. Wow, now that's cunning. So I wanted something short, but would hold my interest for reading on the treadmill. This looked like just the thing.10 people are invited to an island for a stay at the lone mansion. None know each other (except for the two servants who are married and are hired to cater to the other 8), but soon find that they have something in common: they have all gotten away with murder. One by one they are killed off until no one remained alive. How was it done, and by whom?
This is my first Agatha Christie novel, and I loved it. Her characters are intriguing, but not outlandish. The pacing of the novel was perfect. By the end you are racing to find out how it was all done, and whether you have figured it out. Though the novel takes place in the 30s, it did not seem too dated, except for an expression that I could not decipher. The expression was used twice and, to our ears, sounds racist. My interpretation of it based on how it was used was that it meant that something is out of place--though this was just a guess. The expression is: A nigger in the woodpile.
Wikipedia says it is an expression meaning "some fact of considerable importance that is not disclosed—something suspicious or wrong" and refers to fugitive slaves escaping by hiding in piles of firewood or wood planks being transported by train. Apparently, Christie's original title for the novel was "Ten Little Niggers." Despite this awkward saying, the novel is well worth reading. ( )
  Marse | Apr 8, 2014 |
Ten people who don't know each other are invited by a Mr. Owen to spend their holidays on an island where there is nothing but a big mansion. After dinner a recording say them that in fact they are there to pay fot crimes they did in the past. The accusations are well-founded and unable to leave the house, the guests are being killed off one by one in mysterious murder. ( )
  claudiabrosel | Mar 24, 2014 |
Wow! Just when I thought Agatha Christie couldn't get any better, I read this! I'm truly in awe with the mystery master :) It's a good thing I read the epilogue and the end note; I admit I don't always do with books, but now I definitely will. Great read! ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
“And then there were none”, is a murder mystery written by the mistress of mystery herself, Agatha Christie. The reason for the murderer to go about killing others is the deeper meaning of the story. The motive behind the killings is to bring justice to those who got away with horrible crimes like killing other people and aiding in the death of others. The authors’ word choice is so powerful that around every corner it sucks you in and keeps you reading because of the level of interest in how Agatha Christie writes. Through her writing you can feel the characters feelings of dread, fear, and guilt just through the word choice. Another aspect of the book which is powerful is her mixing of the types of stories and literature. Within the book she uses a made up rhythmic poem titled “ten little Indians” (or sailors, depending on the version of the book you read, I personally like the ten little Indians version the best). The poem is used to describe and tell the order in which people will die in the book. She also uses the poem to be symbolic of the way they die, and why they deserve to die. This book will keep you guessing and I would be surprised if you can figure out who did it until you get to the last three or four pages. ( )
  drhode3 | Mar 6, 2014 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sabine DeitmerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermaenius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
* This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.

* AKA Ten Little Niggers / Ten Little Indians.

* (fin) Vuoden 2003 painos nimellä: Eikä yksikään pelastunut

Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or most "accurate one." Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible