And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2009)

by Agatha Christie

9,690220298 (4.08)226
Member:dshamilton
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Masterpiece ed, Kindle Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Kindle

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

English (197)  Italian (6)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (220)
I read ATTWN during the Dewey's 24-hour readathon, and I ended up getting so hooked I actually carried on past the end to finish the final 50 pages. This (possibly) most beloved of Christie's novels certainly lived up to expectations, with the claustrophobic island setting and the 'one of us, one of us!' creepiness, although the fact that I guessed one of the 'how?' plot twists did take the suspense down a notch. I hadn't worked out who or why though, so there was still plenty to nod wisely over at the end. It's the first Christie I've read in YEARS, but I'll definitely be picking up more now! ( )
  elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
10 people go to an island, and none come out alive. I think this is my favorite Agatha Christie novel out of all I have read. This is an amazingly plotted mystery, and it's easy to see why so many people love it. It's so interesting to see how each person is murdered and how it unfolds, and then to hear the how and why by the guilty party when you had no idea. The clues are cleverly laid out, but somehow you are kept guessing until the very end. You quickly find that no one is innocent, and everyone has their dark secrets. A true classic! ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
I had read this mystery decades ago and decided to pick it up again. The story is a classic. Ten strangers are each lured onto a remote island. Each of these people is remotely linked to a past crime and each one is killed one at a time in a manner described in a nursery rhyme, '10 Little Indians'. Given that I had read this story before and vaguely knew the ending, I thought it would be easy for me to immediately pick out the murderer. But not so! Dame Agatha leaves plenty of clues and possibilities, but solving the murder always eludes me. Definitely a fun classic to read. ( )
  jmoncton | Sep 7, 2014 |
Shame on me for not having read one of the all-time great mystery writers. My entire life, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about ALL of the books that Agatha Christie produced. I finally got a chance to read this classic after purchasing it from Barnes & Noble, and I must say, it does not disappoint!

Christie cleverly constructs a murder mystery that rivals no other. Her simple, but compelling writing style makes everything easy to understand in the midst of a 10 person murder frenzy! The chapters are very short and concise, just like the lives of the 10 highly questionable characters. What makes the story so interesting is Christie's wonderful way of planting a surprise or shock at the end of each chapter. I can honestly say that every single chapter has a twist or turn that no reader can see coming. The only downfall in reading this work is that Christie seems to get caught up in the traditional sex roles of males and females of that time period. I tried to ignore or pass over them, but that is the only area where the book does not stand the test of time.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to any lover of literature. Christie truly is a master in the genre of mysteries, and I can't wait to consume more of her work. ( )
1 vote rsplenda477 | Aug 24, 2014 |
It's a good book, but I think it's a little overrated. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rivière, FrançoisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermaenius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
* This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.

* AKA Ten Little Niggers / Ten Little Indians.

* (fin) Vuoden 2003 painos nimellä: Eikä yksikään pelastunut

Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or most "accurate one." Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible