And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ahsreads
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, murders, crimes, punished, island, nursery rhyme, kill, death, deaths, suspense, poison, mansion, irony, plot, noose, stranded, action-packed

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

English (270)  Italian (9)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  English (1)  German (1)  English (1)  Danish (1)  English (298)
There is something about a rainy autumn night and a cup of hot tea with a cat on your lap and a fire crackling in the fireplace that screams “Read an Agatha Christie mystery!” In short, that is exactly what I did.

This was one of her favorite stories. In the forward she explains why. She had to work carefully to craft the story to her formula to ensure that it was consistent, that it made sense to the reader and that the solve was undetectable to the very end of the book. She achieved it all.

The story is set at an isolated house on an English island called Soldiers Island. Ten houseguests have been invited by a mysterious host named U.N. Owen to spend the weekend. Each guest has been given a different reason to attend. Three of the seven believe they are there as employees.

There is no way to exit the island except by tender. Weather effectively strands the guests there ensuring no one is able to leave. After the dinner is served on the first night, the mysterious hosts has the butler play a phonograph record. The host has yet to be seen but it is his voice outlining the real reason each guest is there.

Every individual has murdered another person, either legally or through accidental misadventure and the host believes that this means that each of those people have evaded justice and must be dealt with.

There is a poem posted throughout the house called “Ten Little Soldier Boys”. There are also ten soldier figurines on a centerpiece at the table. As each guest is dispatched, each soldier disappears.

And that is where I will leave you. Agatha Christie has a process that her readers will be familiar with - the set up and introduction, the crime and the solve. This was one of her better stories. I have a few favorites in my stash and every once in a while, it is fun to go back to one of the masters of the mystery genre and enjoy a touch of Edwardian England. Even the murders seem civil. Cheerio! ( )
  ozzie65 | Nov 22, 2016 |
Ten Little Niggers is one my favorite Agatha Christie books. I also watched the 1945 black & white movie adaptation of the book. It is interesting to notice that the movie was producted in the US by director René Clair, and was released as And Then There Were None. In England, according to the Internet Movie Database, it was released that same year as both And Then There Were None and Ten Little Niggers. I remember reading it in Portuguese many years ago as "O Caso dos Dez Negrinhos." Who would have thought such racists (as Americans are, right?) would change the title of this movie...
:-) ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Continuing my November is vintage murder theme. This is one of the first mysteries I read. As a locked-room mystery, is it still great? Or have I passed my personal golden age of crime so long ago?

***

2008 November 11

It is still great. Least probable book ever, but a really intricate puzzle. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
[And Then There Were None] aka [Ten Little Indians] by Agatha Christie
5★’s

This is a new one for me!! I have often said I was the only breathing human on the planet that didn’t like Agatha Christie..so where in the world did those 5 stars come from? I will have to reevaluate my statement to I am the only breathing human on the planet that doesn’t like Agatha Christie…EXCEPT for [And Then There Was None]

A group of ten strangers is invited or hired for a long weekend on Indian Island, a mile off the Devon coast. It is somewhat improbable that these ten would all accept such a vague invitation from a host they do not know to a place they have never seen before, but each for his or her own reasons accepts. They include a doctor, a games mistress, a soldier of fortune, a rich playboy, a retired policeman, a judge, a spinster, a retired general and a married couple who are to be the servants. They arrive on a bleak rocky island to a completely modern house with all the amenities. The fires are welcoming, there is an ample supply of food, the servants are impeccable, but their host is absent. In each of the bedrooms, the Ten Little Indians nursery rhyme is posted on a prominent wall. It begins:

"Ten Little Indian boys went out to dine…
One choked his little self, and then there were nine.---

Drinks are served, and one guest chokes, turns blue and falls over dead. Now the tension begins to build. Fright runs in the hearts of the stranded people as one by one they are picked off…each in accordance with that cursed nursery rhyme. As the number of victims increase, the survivors' suspicions of each other also increase. When the police arrive and find them all dead….the question remains “Who is the murderer? It has to be one of the survivors…but which one?

[And Then There Were None] is told in short choppy chapters. The strange thing is that none of the characters are even likable. Christie toys with the idea of a serial killer long before such an animal was even heard of. This is an excellent story, and the author is so far ahead of the reader’s reasoning that you will never guess who the guilty party is. If you do manage to figure out the “who" and the "how" then you have my highest respects. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 12, 2016 |
I believe this is the first Christie I have ever read. I thought I had this figured out. Nope. A little while later, I thought I had it figured out again. Ha! Fooled again. Then I came to the ending and felt like a total fool for even trying to figure out whodunit. Will be reading more of her work in the future. ( )
  EllAreBee | Oct 3, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carlo and Mary, this is their book, dedicated to them with much affection.
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathereed together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,629,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible