And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:huladancer
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:mystery, classic, British, England, Devon, island, mansion, murders, strangers, secrets, justice

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Recently added byprivate library, yrchmonger, diana.n, NECC, TheMadHattress, matt_bing, pieandsunshine, BrokenTune, Jeshika, wabashbdw
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Patangel)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie (MarcusBrutus)
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie (eclt83)
    Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff (OwenGriffiths)
    The Ninth Guest by Gwen Bristow (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Invited guests murdered one-by-one by their host.
    The List of Adrian Messenger by Philip MacDonald (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Killer working on a selected group, and with a high body count.
    R.I.P. by Philip MacDonald (Anonymous user)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: No way onto the island and no way off...
    1984 by George Orwell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: No thematic relation, but these two books both profoundly disturbed me.

English (264)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (291)
“Enveloped in an aura of righteousness and unyielding principles, Miss Brent sat in her crowded third-class carriage and triumphed over its discomfort and its heat. Everyone made such a fuss over things nowadays! They wanted injections before they had teeth pulled— they took drugs if they couldn’t sleep— they wanted easy chairs and cushions and the girls allowed their figures to slop about anyhow and lay about half naked on the beaches in summer.”

It is difficult to review And Then There Were None without giving away the plot or the mystery. Suffice it to say that in typical fashion Christie assembles a group of colourful characters in a confined space and confronts them with a mystery to which there seems no logical solution.

What sets this novel apart from her other books is that each of the characters seems to have something lurk in their past – something that blemishes their character. So, whilst trying to solve the mystery of the main plot, Christie also tempts us to pass judgement on each of the characters we meet and assess whether they have been guilty of whatever it is that the narration implies they might have done.

Or have they done anything dubious at all?

If you’re looking for a dialogue-driven whodunnit with a barrel full of red herrings, you’re in for a treat.

“But no artist, I now realize, can be satisfied with art alone. There is a natural craving for recognition which cannot be gainsaid.”
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
A classic for good reason. ( )
  ko40370 | Jul 29, 2016 |
As a fan of mysteries and thrillers growing up, I’m not sure how it’s possible that I had never read a novel from the Queen of Suspense before! I think this is one of her most famous books so I was really excited to read it. It kind of reminded me of Clue only better since they are all trapped on an island. I had a lot of fun, if fun is the right choice of words, reading this book. When I read it at night, I would definitely get creeped out! It was really interesting trying to figure out who was committing all of these murders, especially with the storm and lack of access from the mainland. And the ending! Whoa! Totally explosive! The twist reveal was perfection. This book is total genius! I will definitely be adding more Agatha Christie novels to my TBR. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
I would've given it 5 stars but at times it was a little confusing and hard to read ( )
  emwelilyls | Jul 9, 2016 |
This classic mystery by Agatha Christie is meticulous in its plot and details. Christie takes the concept of a dead body in a locked room and changes it to ten bodies on a secluded island. One by one, people die. And these people all had something in common. They were responsible for the death of someone but were legally beyond the law of accountability. So Mr. U.N. Owen took it upon himself to punish these people. The end is satisfying if not surprising. But if you have seen any of the movies or the stage plays, be aware that the various renditions do not always end the same way. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 4, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, Encarnasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathereed together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,307,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible