And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:huladancer
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:mystery, classic, British, England, Devon, island, mansion, murders, strangers, secrets, justice

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Patangel)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie (MarcusBrutus)
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie (eclt83)
    Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff (OwenGriffiths)
    The Ninth Guest by Gwen Bristow (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Invited guests murdered one-by-one by their host.
    The List of Adrian Messenger by Philip MacDonald (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Killer working on a selected group, and with a high body count.
    R.I.P. by Philip MacDonald (Anonymous user)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: No way onto the island and no way off...
    1984 by George Orwell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: No thematic relation, but these two books both profoundly disturbed me.

English (262)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (289)
As a fan of mysteries and thrillers growing up, I’m not sure how it’s possible that I had never read a novel from the Queen of Suspense before! I think this is one of her most famous books so I was really excited to read it. It kind of reminded me of Clue only better since they are all trapped on an island. I had a lot of fun, if fun is the right choice of words, reading this book. When I read it at night, I would definitely get creeped out! It was really interesting trying to figure out who was committing all of these murders, especially with the storm and lack of access from the mainland. And the ending! Whoa! Totally explosive! The twist reveal was perfection. This book is total genius! I will definitely be adding more Agatha Christie novels to my TBR. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
I would've given it 5 stars but at times it was a little confusing and hard to read ( )
  emwelilyls | Jul 9, 2016 |
This classic mystery by Agatha Christie is meticulous in its plot and details. Christie takes the concept of a dead body in a locked room and changes it to ten bodies on a secluded island. One by one, people die. And these people all had something in common. They were responsible for the death of someone but were legally beyond the law of accountability. So Mr. U.N. Owen took it upon himself to punish these people. The end is satisfying if not surprising. But if you have seen any of the movies or the stage plays, be aware that the various renditions do not always end the same way. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 4, 2016 |
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to pick up Dame Christie's books. I love the psychology of a good mystery and have wished upon a library shelf quite often for a new series to jump into.

I think it's because it's easy to feel as if you've already read the majority of Christie's books. Most modern mystery, crime/procedurals, and crime/suspense books & shows borrow her themes at some point or another. Sure, there's variation, but you end up feeling as though you've gotten the gist.

Because of such gist-getting and the all too common avalanches of my harrowing TBR mountain, Agatha Christie books were unceremoniously relegated to the back burner.

But, as of a recent trip to the library and subsequent reading sesh, I've gotten the chance to delight in our Dame's wonderful And Then There Were None at long last.

While it's a quick read, it's a good one. For one thing, because of how popular Christie's themes are in modern crime stories in every medium, it feels immediately like a comfort read. One deserving of a snuggle in your favorite blanket and a hot cup of tea, steaming away alongside you as you experience the rising action of the book. Secondly, it prods you along on an enjoyable foray into character psychology. It's not as simplistic as your average whodunit, even if you do happen across the answer along the way, because Christie disperses motive and opportunity in such a way that you end up in the intriguing position of analyzing each character to enticing depths.

So, for anyone else that might have some of the Dame's books sitting upon a back burner, hopefully you'll find a free afternoon sometime soon to shake off the gist and experience the original. It's worth it!

lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
The plot is really simple. There are ten people on an island and they are being murdered one by one. After they have established that the deaths are crimes and not accidents, the remaining people people search the island and discover that the killer has to be one of them because there is nobody else there and they can’t get off the island due to bad weather.

All the characters are hiding a dark secret. They are all responsible for another person’s death. They have never murdered anybody, but their actions led to someone’s death in a more or less direct way.

As more people are being murdered, we can see how the lack of knowledge and of trust is affecting the remaining characters. It reaches the point where nobody is allowed to go alone anywhere because the others think they may poison the food or set a trap. Another thing that is responsible for the growing mistrust and nervousness is that not only is someone killing people, but also little statues are disappearing. There were ten little figures of black people at first. Every time a murder occurs, a figure vanishes. That all the crimes follow the lines of a poem and seem to be unavoidable doesn’t have a positive effect on the future bodies either.

In order to fully enjoy this novel, one has to agree to believe that everything in this master plan is happening as it should, no matter how unlikely it is that not even one of the many potential victims discovers the truth. In fact, one has to reach literally the last few pages to find out who the killer is. Throughout the book there are clues that point to who the murderer is not, but I don’t think there is anything that suggests who that person is.

I specially liked how the author portrays the effect the murders have on the characters, specifically once they realize that no help is coming. Although not everybody’s reaction is described in great detail, a general feeling of fear is successful.

I know there are people who say this is the best Agatha Christie novel and I don’t think I can fully agree until I have read them all, but I can say that this is the best one I’ve read. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, Encarnasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathereed together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,580,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible