And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:huladancer
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:mystery, classic, British, England, Devon, island, mansion, murders, strangers, secrets, justice

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Recently added byamymyoung, private library, upstairsgirl, QueenOfCrime

English (201)  Italian (6)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (223)
Ten people are invited to vacation or work on an isolated island. Their host is no where to be found and, one by one, they are being murdered with no means of escape. It sounds like a horror novel but it's pure mystery. Who's the murderer and where can he be hiding? How can the people remaining best protect themselves, and what can they learn from each successive murder that will help them?

It's a rare novel I can be gripped by enough to read in a weekend, but this was one of them. I've read a lot of the author's work but always her Poirot stories, and it was a near-tragedy that I overlooked this one for so long until ... thank you LT for ranking this as her most popular work. As always with Agatha Christie, it did not go where I expected and I did not guess the culprit. Foiled again! ( )
  Cecrow | Nov 24, 2014 |
The classic murder mystery featuring a group of people trapped on an island, all suspecting each other as they die one after the other. I loved the (1945 version) movie when I was a kid but never got around to reading the book until now. Having re-watched the movie immediately after finishing the book, I have to admit that the film pales a bit in comparison. The book takes a more serious tone while the movie veers toward light-heartedness in places.

And then there's the ending... sigh... the way the book concludes is much, much better than the movie. I suppose it was the style of film-making, and what they thought an audience could handle at the time, but still... I wish someone would pitch a remake of this film with the idea of keeping it true to the source material. That could be awesome. ( )
  ScoLgo | Nov 8, 2014 |
Listened to the unabridged audiobook by Hugh Fraser, plus the 2010 BBC 90-min radio adaption. This is considered Christie's masterpiece. It's a puzzle with a definitive answer and clues. There is something nightmarishly creepy about the book. ( )
  Stbalbach | Nov 2, 2014 |
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie; {acquired prior to L/T}; (4*)

Mystery at its very finest; taut, compelling, absorbing. Ten people are brought to an island under rather odd circumstances. They're welcomed in the absence of owner, U.K. Owen, and after their shock at the playing of an audio recording accusing each of them of murder, one of them dies. Then another. Then another. The remaining survivors do their best to defend themselves and identify the person killing them by addressing the issue of whether it's one of them or someone hidden on the island. The rapid fire beginning introduction of characters is supplemented well by their words and actions on the island so they become clear. The clues are there but this reader found them subtle enough to miss sometimes and only obvious in the retrospect of the ending revelations. It is different than the modern mysteries I enjoy but is simply shines as the epitome of the mystery genre. Yes, I found it a bit unnerving, but it is amazingly well constructed. A complete pleasure to read and this one works as well today as when it was written. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Oct 31, 2014 |
I read ATTWN during the Dewey's 24-hour readathon, and I ended up getting so hooked I actually carried on past the end to finish the final 50 pages. This (possibly) most beloved of Christie's novels certainly lived up to expectations, with the claustrophobic island setting and the 'one of us, one of us!' creepiness, although the fact that I guessed one of the 'how?' plot twists did take the suspense down a notch. I hadn't worked out who or why though, so there was still plenty to nod wisely over at the end. It's the first Christie I've read in YEARS, but I'll definitely be picking up more now! ( )
1 vote elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rivière, FrançoisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermaenius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
* This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.

* AKA Ten Little Niggers / Ten Little Indians.

* (fin) Vuoden 2003 painos nimellä: Eikä yksikään pelastunut

Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or most "accurate one." Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible