And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:huladancer
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:mystery, classic, British, England, Devon, island, mansion, murders, strangers, secrets, justice

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Recently added bymonharp, kateprice88, annalena21, montgodn, EJanega, pennjann, inti-0462, MisterMelon, mic_cee, private library
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Patangel)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie (MarcusBrutus)
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Poirot Investigates by Agatha Christie (eclt83)
    Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff (OwenGriffiths)
    The List of Adrian Messenger by Philip MacDonald (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Killer working on a selected group, and with a high body count.
    The Ninth Guest by Gwen Bristow (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Invited guests murdered one-by-one by their host.
    R.I.P. by Philip MacDonald (Anonymous user)
    The Possessors by John Christopher (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: No way onto the island and no way off...
    1984 by George Orwell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: No thematic relation, but these two books both profoundly disturbed me.

English (267)  Italian (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (294)
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to pick up Dame Christie's books. I love the psychology of a good mystery and have wished upon a library shelf quite often for a new series to jump into.

I think it's because it's easy to feel as if you've already read the majority of Christie's books. Most modern mystery, crime/procedurals, and crime/suspense books & shows borrow her themes at some point or another. Sure, there's variation, but you end up feeling as though you've gotten the gist.

Because of such gist-getting and the all too common avalanches of my harrowing TBR mountain, Agatha Christie books were unceremoniously relegated to the back burner.

Quite true, Flynn. Quite true.

But, as of a recent trip to the library and subsequent reading sesh, I've gotten the chance to delight in our Dame's wonderful And Then There Were None at long last.

While it's a quick read, it's a good one. For one thing, because of how popular Christie's themes are in modern crime stories in every medium, it feels immediately like a comfort read. One deserving of a snuggle in your favorite blanket and a hot cup of tea, steaming away alongside you as you experience the rising action of the book. Secondly, it prods you along on an enjoyable foray into character psychology. It's not as simplistic as your average whodunit, even if you do happen across the answer along the way, because Christie disperses motive and opportunity in such a way that you end up in the intriguing position of analyzing each character to enticing depths.

So, for anyone else that might have some of the Dame's books sitting upon a back burner, hopefully you'll find a free afternoon sometime soon to shake off the gist and experience the original. It's worth it!

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
“Ten little Indian boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Indian boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Indian boys traveling in Devon;
One said he’d stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Indian boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Indian boys going in for law,
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Indian boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Indian boys walking in the Zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Indian boy left all alone;
He went and hanged himself and then there were none.”

-Frank Green, 1869

Imagine you are on an island with 9 other strangers. You are stranded there by violent storm and haunted by a nursery rhyme that is counting down, killing all of you one-by-one.
The best-selling novel, "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie, is one of the greatest mysteries of all time. The book was well written and truly had a suspenseful plot.
As the novel begins, very little is known about the characters and their pasts, but as the story continues, more is revealed as you enter their minds and see the darkness that is truly inside them. The book is cleverly written around the “Ten Little Indians” poem (by Frank Green) to show the psychological complexity to a well-sought out murder. Written with wit and thrilling suspense, Christie displays themes throughout the story that can be compared to the realities of our life today.
Christie shows the effects and burden of guilt throughout the novel. Grief is displayed by many characters and causes much self-conflict, it's shone to even lead those to their own death.
I would recommend this book to someone because it retains the true qualities of a thrilling mystery containing numerous plot-twisting turns. I would definitely recommend this novel to any “mystery lover” because it's has a great story line while still staying true to tradition. ( )
  allyw2 | Sep 11, 2016 |
And then there are many more books that I want to read.

I've heard so much about Agatha Christie and her influence on the mystery whodunit genre, but simply have never read any of her work. So I was a little excited when I found this book at a flea market, I knew I had to read it. I already have [b:A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie|23848320|A is for Arsenic The Poisons of Agatha Christie|Kathryn Harkup|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1422904883s/23848320.jpg|43458253] sitting on my TBR shelf, waiting for the day to be opened and read over. I told myself that I need to read at least one Agatha Christie book, just so I could have an experience of figuring out who the murderer was. Now that I've finished, I think I'll have to put that book off for a little while longer. At least until I read a good chunk of her published history.

The story does start out a bit choppily, jumping from one character to the next in less than a page's worth of reading, and I couldn't yet quite get to know any of the characters. However, as they coalesced into one venue and the plot upped the ante, I was hooked. I wanted to figure out for myself who was committing these murders. I've heard that the clues are right there for the reader to see, and I made sure to think like a detective. Alas, without years of training for this type scenario, I was stupefied up until the very end. Ah…now it all makes sense.

So I'm going to try again. And again. And again. Until I can learn to solve crimes using provided evidence…all from reading.

This is a story that is a key foundational work in much of pop culture, and is worth a read. It's short, and it will have you turning the pages until you're late for a prior engagement, but who cares. Get sleuthing! ( )
  jms001 | Sep 10, 2016 |
Ten guests on a mysterious island are murdered, one by one. Who masterminded the deaths?

This was another audiobook reread for me, though in this case my recollections of the solution were hazy. I enjoyed listening to it, though I was distracted by a feeling that I had read a different version -- and so I had. That got me researching this book's history, which is quite fascinating. The original title contained a racial slur, which was eventually changed to "Ten Little Indians" (the version I read originally) and then the internal references were changed to "Ten Little Soldier-Boys" (as it stands in the version I just listened to). The solution to the mystery is impressive, though I must admit I missed the presence of Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple. ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 24, 2016 |
“Enveloped in an aura of righteousness and unyielding principles, Miss Brent sat in her crowded third-class carriage and triumphed over its discomfort and its heat. Everyone made such a fuss over things nowadays! They wanted injections before they had teeth pulled— they took drugs if they couldn’t sleep— they wanted easy chairs and cushions and the girls allowed their figures to slop about anyhow and lay about half naked on the beaches in summer.”

It is difficult to review And Then There Were None without giving away the plot or the mystery. Suffice it to say that in typical fashion Christie assembles a group of colourful characters in a confined space and confronts them with a mystery to which there seems no logical solution.

What sets this novel apart from her other books is that each of the characters seems to have something lurk in their past – something that blemishes their character. So, whilst trying to solve the mystery of the main plot, Christie also tempts us to pass judgement on each of the characters we meet and assess whether they have been guilty of whatever it is that the narration implies they might have done.

Or have they done anything dubious at all?

If you’re looking for a dialogue-driven whodunnit with a barrel full of red herrings, you’re in for a treat.

“But no artist, I now realize, can be satisfied with art alone. There is a natural craving for recognition which cannot be gainsaid.”
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sánchez, Encarnasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title, if it requires a canonical title, which it appears not to. Don't add one just for the hell of it.

Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathereed together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,139,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible