And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:huladancer
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:mystery, classic, British, England, Devon, island, mansion, murders, strangers, secrets, justice

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

English (211)  Italian (7)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (235)
Christie was a genius! How could she write so many unique murder-mysteries in one lifetime!

While I've seen and read modified and adapted version of the theme of 'And Then There Were None' in sub-plots of other stories, translations and movies, reading the original was an absolute thrilling experience. It's been long since I couldn't put a book down and finished it at a stretch. Thank you ma'am for leaving works behind that can intrigue a reader after more than half a century. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
Leí "Diez Negritos" (si , ese es su nombre original : Ten Little Niggers) cuando tenía once años .

No pude pegar un ojo hasta que no supe quien era el asesino .

Hoy , con 23 años , lo releo por quichigésima vez (como diría mi abuelita) y sigo idolatrandolo como en esos años donde cada fin de semana me compraba un libro nuevo de mi ídola Agatha Christie (cada fin de semana porque , increiblemente , estaban ocho pesitos nomás).

UNA OBRA MAESTRA DEL MISTERIO . UNA DE LAS MEJORES QUE SE HAN ESCRITO . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
My first ever Agatha Christie. I love mysteries and thrillers but had never indulged in this classic writer until now. It was initially confusing trying to keep all the characters straight but soon I was involved and loved it. No idea who did it until the end. Felt like Clue - kept waiting to hear that it was Professor Plum in the library with the candlestick. The audio version was well narrated and made it that much more enjoyable. ( )
  she_climber | May 9, 2015 |
75 years old and still incredible awesome. Fast paced and intriguing, you really don't want to put it down. I kept shouting out to my non reader husband what was going on. I have seen many parodies of this (Clue, Murder by Death, etc) that the storyline felt so familiar, but I still had no idea what happened (Well I had some idea, but as River Song would say, Spoilers, I cannot go into why) This is a must have for any book lover for their collection as well. Will be lending my copy out to anyone who hasn't read it yet. My friends, this truly is a classic. It will still be fabulous 500 years from now, well except for the antiquated idea of a women and I felt a little uncomfortable with her description of a Jewish character. Felt a tad anti-Semitic and seriously a character smacks a female character because she seems to be hysterical (wow, thank god I was born in this day and age). Read this as part of our Non Girly Book Club.
  mountie9 | Mar 17, 2015 |
This was my first Agatha Christie murder mystery and let me tell you, it certainly won’t be my last! I actually sat down to read this book earlier today and did not stop until I was finished. It was one of those “forget to eat, forget the need to go to the bathroom” kind of reading sessions and I have no regrets :P

Agatha Christie is THE best selling novelist of all time and I can definitely see why. I decided that I wanted to give her a go and did a little research as to which of her books were the best. And Then There Were None was on the top of most lists so I headed to my local Chapters, bought it and was ready to go!

This novel is INCREDIBLE. The mystery of this masterpiece is that ten people are lured to an island and are murdered one by one in accordance with a creepy child’s nursery rhyme called “Ten Little Indians.” One of the ten people is the killer, but who could it be? Will they be able to deduce who their resident homicidal maniac is before it is too late?

As I already said, this book kept me reading right through to the end. I loved playing the guessing game of “oh! This one is DEFINITELY the killer.” Naturally whenever I got a hunch my suspect died. The suspense is incredible and you can really feel the isolation of these people on the island. With every murder the tension heightens and it gets more creepy because they know that one of them is a killer and they are all on their guard, and yet THEY KEEP GETTING KILLED. There was really no way to tell who was the killer, and therefore the revelation does come as a surprise (or it did to me) and the explanation of how it all happened makes complete sense, even if you have no idea how everything is going to resolve itself.

I most definitely recommend this novel for anyone who is looking for a good mystery or if you want to start reading Agatha Christie. Based on this book I’d say she lives up to her immense reputation and I am looking forward to reading everything she has to offer. I can’t wait to meet Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple! Agatha Christie certainly is the queen of mystery :) ( )
  ceecee83 | Feb 28, 2015 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rivière, FrançoisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thermænius, EinarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
* This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.

* AKA Ten Little Niggers / Ten Little Indians.

* (fin) Vuoden 2003 painos nimellä: Eikä yksikään pelastunut

Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or most "accurate one." Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Thus, that is the appropriate canonical title.

Ten people are trapped
in a house where they are killed.
Who is the killer? (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312330871, Paperback)

Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Considered one of the greatest mysteries of all times, ten strangers, each with a dark secret, are gathered together on an isolated island by a mysterious host. One by one, they die, and before the weekend is out, there will be none.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,444,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible