Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut

Player Piano (original 1952; edition 1980)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:mike_frank
Title:Player Piano
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Dell (1980), Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Collections:Your library, Use for Recommendations
Rating:**1/2

Player Piano by Jr. Kurt Vonnegut (1952)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Anonymous user)
    R.U.R. by Karel Čapek (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Exploring societal implications of replacing humans with artificial labor.

English (48)  French (2)  Italian (2)  All (52)
I was less enthralled than I hoped I would be. This isn't my favourite Vonnegut experience, but a great book regardless. The themes are mostly relevant still, but a lot of the technology was lost on me because of when it was written. A decent look at the future of society and self. ( )
  meaghangray | Feb 26, 2017 |
A society in which everyone's' basic needs are met, in which machines perform the most difficult and boring jobs, sounds pretty idyllic, doesn't it? But in this book Vonnegut asks what role people would play in such a world. What challenges them? What can they strive to achieve? What gives them a sense of purpose? Do they even need one? These and other questions posed by this story are as meaningful today as they were when it was first published over 60 years ago. It's still a good read.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I had heard this science fiction novel was funny, but it is instead a largely serious look at a dystopic America. There is skillful, biting satire, but not of a humorous nature.

I enjoyed the book, but not until I was at least 1/4th of the way in - Vonnegut took a long time to establish the personalities of his characters, and I read for characters more than I do for dystopian setting details, which are rich and fairly dense.

Overall, interesting, good read. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
This dystopian novel takes place in Ilium New York in an age where most of the jobs people used to do are being done by machines. This creates two distinct social classes: the upper class of engineers who maintain the machines and the lower class of people who have nothing to do because the machines have made them obsolete. Our protagonist is Dr. Paul Proteus, a successful engineer who begins to question the quality of life after his occasional trips across the river to where the other half lives.

Vonnegut’s fiction is like a roller coaster ride for me. I go from liking the book, to not liking it, to liking it again, etc. every fifty pages or so. By the time I got to the end of this one, I was back to liking it, but it wasn’t an easy read. One of the things I liked most about Player Piano is that I can see how Vonnegut has extended some of the ideas from one of my favorite books, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Overall, it was worth reading, and I think I even liked it better than Slaughterhouse-Five. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
It is a good exercise to revert to 1950's Science Fiction occasionally, in that its prolific nature can be especially close to our current society. "Player Piano" is no exception: fully automated factories, cars that start with the push of a button, and riots for individuality. The book's structure supports the allegories and symbolism present without feeling too overt. A good instructive piece for a contemporary Science Fiction enthusiast who is not well versed in the classics. ( )
  Meghanista | Aug 31, 2015 |

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Bacon, C.W.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binger, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briemen, Reindert vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Charles, MiltonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR JANE - GOD BLESS HER
ILIUM, New York, is divided into three parts.
This silly playlet seemed to satisfy them completely as a picture of what they were doing, why they were doing it, and who was against them, and why some people were against them. It was a beautifully simple picture these procession leaders had. It was a though a navigator, in order to free his mind of worries, had erased all the reefs from the maps.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440170370, Mass Market Paperback)

Vonnegut's spins the chilling tale of  engineer Paul Proteus, who must find a way to live  in a world dominated by a supercomputer and run  completely by machines.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

Vonnegut's first novel spins the chilling tale of engineer Paul Proteus, who must find a way to live in a world dominated by a super computer and run completely by machines. His rebellion is a wildly funny, darkly satirical look at modern society.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,639,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible