Incredible Me! by Kathi Appelt

Incredible Me! (edition 2003)

by Kathi Appelt, G. Brian Karas (Illustrator)

Member:ashoemak
Title:Incredible Me!
Authors:Kathi Appelt
Other authors:G. Brian Karas (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Individuality, Easy, Self-esteem, Rhyming Verse, K-3

Incredible Me! by Kathi Appelt

In my opinion this was a really good book. The language used description and detail, which made the reader become engaged. For instance, “I’m the dill in the pickle, the sweet in the pea”. This detail allows the readers to form opinions as to what they think she means. The writing flowed well and this allowed the readers to follow allowing easily. The book was written in a first person point of view, as the little girl explained all the unique qualities that made her special. “I’m the cat’s meow; I’m the dog’s top flea. I’m the one, the only, most marvelous me!” The illustrations enhanced the story and helped the readers form a mental picture as to what was the girl was describing. For example, when the girl said “Nobody marches in my two boots”, the illustrations showed her in boots marching. I also think that her character was extremely believable and relatable because everyone has qualities that make them unique. I think the big idea of this story is to embrace all the qualities that you have because they make you unique and different from everyone else. This is a really good story to read to students so they aren’t scared to be themselves in the classroom. ( )
  mennis2 | Mar 17, 2016 |
I liked reading this book for 3 reasons. First, the illustrations throughout the book were very well done. The colors were extremely vibrant and each page gave me something different to look forward to. They demonstrated the words on the pages well and they are very kid friendly. One page in particular had the young girl looking in the mirror at her nose. It was clear that she was looking at that feature and explaining to herself “nobody has my singular nose.”
Another reason I enjoyed this book is because of the vocabulary used throughout. This story shows a young girl who explains through the whole book, all of her features and characteristics are unique and different from anyone else. The pictures and vocabulary go hand in hand and complement one another nicely. One example I loved from the text was when she said, “I’m the pearl in the oyster, the A to the Z. I’m the only, the only, incredible ME!” The words are very easy for a young child to follow and especially appropriate for them to relate to as well.
The last reason I liked reading this book is because of the writing. The author organized and paced each page. As I was reading, I felt that I was reading in a patterned sequence and it helped with the flow of the story. Each page seemed to rhyme and it was extremely engaging. For example, “Nobody wears a smile like this. Nobody blows the kiss I kiss. Nobody whistles the way that I do. Nobody chews the way I chew.” Reading the story is an adventure. The rhyming that the author added was extremely beneficial because it could help to keep readers engaged.
After reading this story, the main message of the book is extremely important for every young child to understand. “Incredible me” provides the message that each individual is different. No one is the same and that is what makes each individual special and unique and self-awareness and acceptance is important. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Feb 6, 2016 |
Book about self-esteem. Children celebrate themselves and all the things and characteristics that make them.

Age: 3-5 Source: Pierce County Library
  fdaniels | Aug 8, 2015 |
I really like this book because it shows children that being different is still great. It shows them that they should appreciate how they are and that they are incredible just the way they are. ( )
  ccampeaux | Apr 22, 2015 |
Everyone is special in their own way. This book is about a girl that celebrates her unique ways! She knows that no one has the same nose as her, giggle as her, or the same dreams as her. The moral of this story is the idea of individuality and that everyone is incredible in their own eyes. ( )
  sottallah | Mar 2, 2015 |

Kathi Appeltprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Karas, G. BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Join a rambunctious child as she exuberantly celebrates all the wonderful qualities that make her special -- her nose, her toes, her ears, herself!

Award winners Kathi Appelt and G. Brian Karas team up to create this joyous tribute to the wonders of being ... ME!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:44 -0400)

A girl celebrates her own individuality, from her freckles to her wiggles.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,169,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible