Incredible Me! by Kathi Appelt

Incredible Me! (edition 2003)

by Kathi Appelt, G. Brian Karas (Illustrator)

Member:ashoemak
Title:Incredible Me!
Authors:Kathi Appelt
Other authors:G. Brian Karas (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Individuality, Easy, Self-esteem, Rhyming Verse, K-3

Incredible Me! by Kathi Appelt

I liked reading this book for 3 reasons. First, the illustrations throughout the book were very well done. The colors were extremely vibrant and each page gave me something different to look forward to. They demonstrated the words on the pages well and they are very kid friendly. One page in particular had the young girl looking in the mirror at her nose. It was clear that she was looking at that feature and explaining to herself “nobody has my singular nose.”
Another reason I enjoyed this book is because of the vocabulary used throughout. This story shows a young girl who explains through the whole book, all of her features and characteristics are unique and different from anyone else. The pictures and vocabulary go hand in hand and complement one another nicely. One example I loved from the text was when she said, “I’m the pearl in the oyster, the A to the Z. I’m the only, the only, incredible ME!” The words are very easy for a young child to follow and especially appropriate for them to relate to as well.
The last reason I liked reading this book is because of the writing. The author organized and paced each page. As I was reading, I felt that I was reading in a patterned sequence and it helped with the flow of the story. Each page seemed to rhyme and it was extremely engaging. For example, “Nobody wears a smile like this. Nobody blows the kiss I kiss. Nobody whistles the way that I do. Nobody chews the way I chew.” Reading the story is an adventure. The rhyming that the author added was extremely beneficial because it could help to keep readers engaged.
After reading this story, the main message of the book is extremely important for every young child to understand. “Incredible me” provides the message that each individual is different. No one is the same and that is what makes each individual special and unique and self-awareness and acceptance is important. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Feb 6, 2016 |
Book about self-esteem. Children celebrate themselves and all the things and characteristics that make them.

Age: 3-5 Source: Pierce County Library
  fdaniels | Aug 8, 2015 |
I really like this book because it shows children that being different is still great. It shows them that they should appreciate how they are and that they are incredible just the way they are. ( )
  ccampeaux | Apr 22, 2015 |
Everyone is special in their own way. This book is about a girl that celebrates her unique ways! She knows that no one has the same nose as her, giggle as her, or the same dreams as her. The moral of this story is the idea of individuality and that everyone is incredible in their own eyes. ( )
  sottallah | Mar 2, 2015 |
Told through the perspective of one young girl, Incredible Me! celebrates what it means to be a unique individual and to have special qualities that nobody else has. This book would be appropriate to read to children in preschool, kindergarten, or elementary school to teach them that everybody is different and special in their own ways. The simple, rhyming text throughout the story makes it an engaging, fast-paced read that is able to capture and hold the attention of young listeners. The rhyming text also enhances the predictability of the story and makes it one that young children will be able to remember and recite after hearing it multiple times. Colorful, whimsical illustrations abound throughout the text and combine collage-type pieces (i.e. pieces of colored paper and fabric) with drawings that look like children could have drawn them. Some of the words throughout the book are bolded, such as “nobody,” “me,” and “only,” so as to emphasize how special the narrator’s qualities are. This book deserves to be added to all library collections because of its message about appreciating differences and thinking about what makes oneself “incredible.” ( )
  CarolineBraden | Oct 23, 2013 |

Kathi Appeltprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Karas, G. BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Join a rambunctious child as she exuberantly celebrates all the wonderful qualities that make her special -- her nose, her toes, her ears, herself!

Award winners Kathi Appelt and G. Brian Karas team up to create this joyous tribute to the wonders of being ... ME!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:44 -0400)

A girl celebrates her own individuality, from her freckles to her wiggles.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible