The Duke by Gaelen Foley
    The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

10* I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top favorite series If you are looking for a book that reminds you of Cinderella this will be it!
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
This is without a single doubt a 5 star book for me! I absolutely loved it! There were so many wonderful things about this book that just made it such a spectacular read for me. It was pure enjoyment!

The hero in this story was a really great guy and I just loved him to pieces. But, it was the heroine that stole the show! She was the epitome of everything I LOVE in a heroine all rolled up into 1 fantastic, amazing woman! (Whom I secretly wish I could be BFF with.) This just wasn't your "typical" HR. This is what I imagine real life to have been like for a lot of women in the early 1800's. I was shocked at the beginning of the book... I was like no, no, No, NO, NOOOOOOOOO! But, it's a reality and the heroine of this story was such a phoenix. I just admire her so much. She was so strong, so brave and just so great.

This was a pretty intense and moving book for me. It touches on a lot of issues going on at the time... to even include the unrest in France and the affects it had on England. Causing there to be some eagerness to start to resolve some of their social issues at the time.

I especially love when an author ties a book in with events and people of the time. I so loved the author taking the time to write (at the very end) about some true historical facts and real people that helped shape this book into what it was.

It was just a wonderful read that I really enjoyed so much. I would highly recommend reading this book. This book is also in a series and I will definitely read more! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
No me esperaba que estuviera tan bien ambientado en la época elegida (debe ser la primera vez que leo menciones a los Whigs y la House of Commons ,entre muchos mas detalles históricos en un romance de es genero) .

Muy bueno y entretenido . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Oh my God. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
I just finished reading a book about which I complained that nothing happened. Well, lots of stuff happens in The Duke.

What I Liked
The plot. This is a romance with lots of plot!

The characters. Lots of characters too. Besides the main ones, I enjoyed the way the author worked in real people, such as Lord Castlereagh and Harriette Wilson.

Belinda. She's one of the strongest heroines I've read about. And she shows lots of gumption when she leaves Hawkscliffe (for a darn good reason too).

Politics. The author gives us a glimpse into the dark underside of Regency life, where an impoverished woman was often left with no choice but to sell her body, where people were put in prison for being unable to pay their debts, and where most of the upper class was utterly insensitive to the plight of ordinary people. The scenes involving political issues were quite enlightening.

What I Didn't Like
The villains. The bad guys were sooo bad as to be unbelievable. And for some reason, I felt a little bit sorry when Dolph was killed in the duel. Couldn't he have been redeemed?

"He guided his massive erection into her teeming threshold." Teeming: To be full of things; abound or swarm. I shudder to think what could be teeming down there. (And why, dear reader, must all romance heroes be larger than normal? At least we didn't have the overworked scene where the woman looks at it and is just sure it won't fit.)

I've now read the first and the last of the Knight Miscellany series, and chances are I'll read the rest. Eventually.

LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449006360, Mass Market Paperback)

Bel has used her intelligence and wit to charm the city's titled gentlemen, while struggling to put the pieces of her life back together. She needs a protector, so she accepts Hawk's invitation to become his mistress in name only. He asks nothing of her body, but seeks her help in snaring the same man who shattered her virtue. Together they tempt the unforgiving wrath of society--until their risky charade turns into a dangerous attraction, and Bel must make a devastating decision that could ruin her last chance at love. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

Driven to uncover the truth about the mysterious death of his ladylove, the Duke of Hawkscliffe will go to any lengths to unmask a murderer. Even if it means jeopardizing his reputation by engaging in a scandalous affair with London's most provocative courtesan--the desirable but aloof Belinda Hamilton.--from publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,858,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible