The Duke by Gaelen Foley

The Duke (2000)

by Gaelen Foley

4861921,119 (3.82)23
    The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

The Duke is a bit darker than I expected. There is this moment in the beginning that really caught me unprepared. In most stories the ugliness of the past that caused a character to go the wrong way is just that - in the past. You get to hear about it. Here, that moment is in the book. As for the unpleasant moments, it's not the only one either.

The ending is from a fairy tale and it goes overboard a bit, but I still enjoyed most (see the spoiler) of the story. When I didn't want to strangle the duke, that is.
I have to put this in spoiler tags to remind myself of one of the most unpleasant and worst moments in the book. After an argument between the two characters (and insults flying all over the place, of course), the duke gives Belinda to a despicable character in exchange for information. She is supposed to get him talking. It doesn't go too far. She isn't hurt physically, but the act of leaving her with the man alone deserved more grovelling in the end.

Very often I am not satisfied with how the villain or villains are punished. On the positive side (if there could be anything positive in it), what happens to Belinda in the beginning of the book gets a well deserved and satisfactory punishment.

I'm guessing with all the siblings the duke has, the sequels are theirs. Not all of them appear in The Duke, but with their family history and the choices they've made in life, the series should be as good as this book. I am interested. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I am a bit conflicted on this one. I really liked it, but but I feel a little bad about that.

Let's start out with saying that I prefer my romances to not have rape scenes in them. No, I'm not talking about the weirdly rapey roms of the 80's, just plain rape. I especially prefer to have foreknowledge that this might happen. It's something dark that I just don't want to read about, ever.

Secondly, I don't like dropped or half-formed storylines. They bug the hell out of me. There was more than one here, and by the time I realized I wasn't going to be getting closure I wanted to go back in time and yell at the editor.

Having said all that, I did like the story if not the H/H in particular. Their, at several moments, total unconcern for those close to them surprised me. Like when Robert takes Bel out to the countryside, purposely leaving her father in prison without a second thought. Because he needed to learn his lesson. Uh huh. Or how about the time that Robert, for lack of another word, proposes to Bel and she accepts, even though she is actually engaged to a guy who has some major guilt issues surrounding her, and probably felt pretty shitty finding out about his broken engagement in the damn newspaper.

But let's get away from the things that drove me batty. I liked the historical grounding the plot had, and the characters that were based on real ones from that time period, like the Three Cyprians. I appreciated the real struggle Robert had to go through to get to the ending, even though he certainly seems to make it quickly enough in the last few pages. And I really liked how strong and capable Bel was. She was no wilting flower, and I always love reading a good, non-idiotic regency heroine.

So yeah, very interested in the rest of the series, and even though this book had some irritating sticking points for me, I still came out having totally enjoyed it. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
10* I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top favorite series If you are looking for a book that reminds you of Cinderella this will be it!
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
This is without a single doubt a 5 star book for me! I absolutely loved it! There were so many wonderful things about this book that just made it such a spectacular read for me. It was pure enjoyment!

The hero in this story was a really great guy and I just loved him to pieces. But, it was the heroine that stole the show! She was the epitome of everything I LOVE in a heroine all rolled up into 1 fantastic, amazing woman! (Whom I secretly wish I could be BFF with.) This just wasn't your "typical" HR. This is what I imagine real life to have been like for a lot of women in the early 1800's. I was shocked at the beginning of the book... I was like no, no, No, NO, NOOOOOOOOO! But, it's a reality and the heroine of this story was such a phoenix. I just admire her so much. She was so strong, so brave and just so great.

This was a pretty intense and moving book for me. It touches on a lot of issues going on at the time... to even include the unrest in France and the affects it had on England. Causing there to be some eagerness to start to resolve some of their social issues at the time.

I especially love when an author ties a book in with events and people of the time. I so loved the author taking the time to write (at the very end) about some true historical facts and real people that helped shape this book into what it was.

It was just a wonderful read that I really enjoyed so much. I would highly recommend reading this book. This book is also in a series and I will definitely read more! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
No me esperaba que estuviera tan bien ambientado en la época elegida (debe ser la primera vez que leo menciones a los Whigs y la House of Commons ,entre muchos mas detalles históricos en un romance de es genero) .

Muy bueno y entretenido . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449006360, Mass Market Paperback)

Bel has used her intelligence and wit to charm the city's titled gentlemen, while struggling to put the pieces of her life back together. She needs a protector, so she accepts Hawk's invitation to become his mistress in name only. He asks nothing of her body, but seeks her help in snaring the same man who shattered her virtue. Together they tempt the unforgiving wrath of society--until their risky charade turns into a dangerous attraction, and Bel must make a devastating decision that could ruin her last chance at love. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

Driven to uncover the truth about the mysterious death of his ladylove, the Duke of Hawkscliffe will go to any lengths to unmask a murderer. Even if it means jeopardizing his reputation by engaging in a scandalous affair with London's most provocative courtesan--the desirable but aloof Belinda Hamilton.--from publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible