dismiss

Faith (Global Fund for Children Books) (2009)

by Maya Ajmera

"Families around the world celebrate faith in many different ways through praying, singing, learning, helping, caring, and more. With stunning photographs from many cultures and religious traditions, Faith celebrates the ways in which people worship around the globe . Thematically organized back matter gives additional information on common expressions of faith, and a glossary describes particular religions and elements of faith depicted in the book. A portion of the proceeds from the sales of this book helps support The Global Fund for Children's grantmaking to community-based projects serving vulnerable children around the world."… (more)

I thought this book was awesome. I think any book that teaches about other cultures and religions is great. The first thing I liked was obviously the topic of the book. The book talked about many different religions, where people practice these religions, and ways people practice these religions. Various religions mentioned in the book were Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, and Rastafarian. I also really liked the pictures in the book. They were all real life pictures that help the reader get a better understanding of these religions. The pictures showed what people wear for certain religions, different holy items for certain religions, and it showed how people practice their religions and where they go to practice them. The main idea of this book is to teach the reader about many different religions that are present around the world. ( )
  david.endres | Nov 18, 2014 |
It celebrates religions from all world and their traditions. ( )
  silly_tine | Apr 4, 2011 |
Very powerful book about how faith is similar across the world. Sentence structure is simple but had me in tears by the time I got to the end. The real life photographs help to promote diversity and show the beauty in all people. At the end is a discussion of the different elements included in the religion and a glossary of the terms and religions. This book is thought provoking and truly beautiful.
  kristenpittenger | Feb 22, 2011 |
Full color photographs to show the many ways people around the world celebrate. ( )
  kairstream | Jun 1, 2010 |
Faith by Maya AjmeraWith simple text and lots of photographs, Faith shows ways that people of many religions around the world practice their faith. The photographs have short captions that explain the common practices of religions. The common practices include helping others, visiting holy places, reading holy books, singing, celebrating with festivals, and caring for others.These practices are examined in more detail in the back of the book. The book also includes a glossary.A taste of Faith:Main text: "We listen to and learn from others."Captions: "Listening attentively at a madrassa, or Islamic religious school. Indonesia""Children focus on the words of a priest. United States""A father teaches his son to sound the shofar at solemn Jewish feasts. United States" ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
To my grandparents for their faith and conviction--M.A.
For my Auntie Rose, who cannot help but to give to and care for everyone who has the pleasure of knowing her--M.N.
Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace among people of God's grace--C.P.
In our world, there are many faiths.

From the jacket:
In our world, there are many faiths...
Celebrate faith around the world in its many expressions: praying, singing, learning, helping, caring, and more.
With stunning photographs from many different cultures and religious traditions, Faith highlights the common threads that bring people together in reverence and joy.

Charlesbridge

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1580891772, 1580891780

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,089,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible