SantaThing sign up ends in 6 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Love and Obstacles by Aleksandar Hemon

Love and Obstacles (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Aleksandar Hemon

204857,485 (3.95)4
Member:adrianburke
Title:Love and Obstacles
Authors:Aleksandar Hemon
Info:Picador (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****

Love and Obstacles by Aleksandar Hemon (2009)

Superb set of linked short stories. Darkly funny and poignant - brilliant writing. The final story The Noble Truths of Suffering was as good a story about writing fiction as any I've read. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This book is a collection of short stories, all about the same character. Some of the stories were five star stories, others were two star stories, but overall I guess there were enough good moments to average out to a four. Like Becky, I especially loved the story about the father and the book/movie he writes. And I liked the story about the roommate that left notes in verse form:

The door is either
open or locked
i like
locked ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Hemon's style knocks me out. His language and syntax read like poetry. The situations in this collection of stories have a lurking dread just off screen somewhere. ( )
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |
The content and temporal setting reminded me strongly of How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone|2048143|How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone. I wish a little bit that I had read them more closely together in my own temporal setting. Three-and-a-half stars. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
I really think Aleksandar Hemon is one of the most underrated authors of our time. Though I think some of his other works are more astounding outright, this is very subtly effective in its statements. He's had an interesting life and no doubt that helps make these stories diverse and exceptional. It's interesting to see how others and his experience have shaped him, making him one of the greatest authors of today. In this book, he skirts the line between what seems like fiction and nonfiction and makes us believe in the honor and beauty of both, which is remarkable.

I would recommend reading others of Hemon's first. Nowhere Man is fantastic and Lazarus Project is utterly brilliant but it's the kind of novel you savor and it takes you a long time to finish it because you don't want it to be finished. ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |

The linked stories of "Love and Obstacles" center around a young man from Yugosalvia who immigrates to America. In dazzling prose, Hemon (himself an immigrant from Yugoslavia) portrays the complications, "the obstacles," of growing up in a Communist but cosmopolitan country, and the disintegration of that country and the consequent uprooting and move to America in young adulthood.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,654,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible