The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence (1)

4,2852161,151 (4.27)3 / 410
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Melusine by Sarah Monette (Poodlerat)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (208)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (216)

Big fantasy novels are often not my thing, but this was generally pleasing after a slow start - our hero, Locke Lamora, flits between underworld and ruling classes in the city where we lay our scene, attempting to pull off audacious scams which sometimes fail and sometimes succeed, risking and indeed losing friends along the way. The end of the book has a couple of spectacular twists.
  nwhyte | Aug 24, 2014 |

Checking the Goodreads record for this book, I noticed that Pat Rothfuss had given it 5 stars. He further explained in his review that since his first book came out at the same time as Lynch's, folks were noticing the similarities between the two authors. There's no comparison. Other than the fact they can each write 500-page-plus fantasy novels.

Rothfuss can tell a better story - that is, a discrete story that may have little to do with the book in hand. He puts a huge amount of feeling into his stories, and it really shows. But he's not a great plotter. Lynch, on the other hand, plots extraordinarily well but may not have quite the talent for knocking our socks off with the story.

I really liked this plot - of a poor orphan boy who learns the meaning of friendship and honor while thieving merrily along the way - and I really like the stories he weaves throughout - how he learned everything he needed to from his mentor, how his friend Jean becomes the best fighter around, how he navigates stealing what he can from the Salvaras - so I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Enough that I'm definitely getting the next one to read, soon.

But Lynch needs to work on the background. Oh, the Camorrans live in a city in the south with many watery canals and all Latin-based names? And the Valerans (sp?) speak a harsh language and come from the north? World building is harder work than it may seem, obviously. ( )
  khage | Aug 18, 2014 |
I would rate it higher because it gets almost everything right, however the primary character at the end of book one is still a selfish, unpleasant character and I can't detect any actual character building. overall 80% except for the lack of personal development. ( )
  jason9292 | Aug 14, 2014 |
This is a well-crafted fantasy novel that I’d recommend to many people, but that I myself could not like despite its many virtues. Set in a city-state crowded with humanity and peppered with the mysterious creations of an ancient race, the story goes back and forth between the past training of master thief Locke Lamora and his crew and the present, when they’re at the top of their game and about to pull off a huge score against the nobility. The worldbuilding is intriguing and doesn’t delay the story; the events (including Lamora’s relations with the master of the city’s illegal activities, who doesn’t allow ripping off the nobility; the score, which involves an elaborate scam as well as an investigation thereof; and a troublesome newcomer known as the Gray King who keeps killing other criminals) move fast and with an accelerating pace that ends with an almost unbearable tension. Lynch persuasively raises the stakes—lots of people end up dead who most fantasy authors would’ve been afraid to kill, but this isn’t GRRM grimdark territory either—and sets up obstacles that are satisfyingly all but insurmountable. I wasn’t thrilled about the lack of major female characters, but the real reason that I could not enjoy this book as much as it should be enjoyed was that Lamora is a scam artist, and I am too lawfully-oriented and anti-false advertising to like that. I can’t root for a guy whose raison d’etre is to take money from people under false pretenses, even if they only offer the money because they have some larceny in their own hearts. Though Lynch does his best to show Lamora protecting the small people he barrels over in his complicated schemes against the wealthy, that protection at best means that they’re alive and exiled rather than tortured to death for their failure to protect their employers. Lynch is honest enough to show some of the collateral damage, but I can’t help but think of all the other victims. However, as those victims are fictional, and as not everyone has my visceral reaction to con artists, this may well be a fantasy worth checking out. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 23, 2014 |
What could be more endearing than a group of thieves calling themselves the Gentleman Bastards? Probably not quite what I was expecting, and it's probably not quite as 'fantasy' as I was led to believe, but it was still bloody (tongue anyone?) good and I intend to keep on with the series. Nice job Mr Lynch! ( )
  amusing.nickname | Jun 29, 2014 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible