The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence (1)

4,945245927 (4.24)3 / 461
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    A Thief in the Night by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (237)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (245)
FABULOUS! That’s how I would describe Scott Lynch’s fantasy THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA. Locke Lamora is a trained thief, apprenticed along with a handful of other boys by the Eyeless Priest of the Temple of Perelandro, to pilfer from the rich.
Do you love a good fantasy read? Look no further than this destined-to-be-a-classic tale. With assassins, birds, disguises, espionage, friendship, gangs, goats, hats, horses, matchmaking, merchants, monasteries, orphans, pirates, poison, pubs, revenge, secret societies, sorcerers, spiders, thieves, tunnels, twins, and wealth, the fun never ends!
Unbeknownst to Locke as he prepares and initiates an elaborate scheme to rob a local merchant, others are plotting against him and his troupe of Gentlemen Bastards. Is it Capa Barsavi, the man who lords over the thieves of Camorr, his daughter or one of his sons, or the Gray King? Could it be someone else? Who is playing whom?
Lynch uses the full range of emotions from humor to anguish in getting us acquainted with his characters. Not only are we treated to amazing duel descriptions, but we can feel their thoughts as they battle.
I have very little to quibble over in this book, other than to say one small scene seemed out of place in its style. The strength of the book lies in the world building, the characters, and the fight scenes. Lynch shows a mastery of story line.
I love THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA and look forward to reading the second book in the series.
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
A riveting read! I found myself squirming in impatience for it to switch back to the present story, although at first I was more concerned with the flashbacks. Mr Lynch has done an impressive job of character development, and making you care about those characters. It's usually pretty hard to surprise me, but he did that on a number of occasions. All in all, a great read, and the next in the Gentlemen Bastards series is on my list! ( )
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
Fantastic!!! Cheeky and dark and diabolical. Really enjoyed the snottiness of the narrator. It was perfect for the character. Review soon. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I don't think it lived up to the billing of 'Robin Hood' or 'Ocean's Eleven'. If your interested in the book I recommend reading 30 pages or so, if you like it stick with it. If it doesn't do anything for you it probably won't improve.

Obviously some people really enjoyed this book, the reason's it was just ok for me are:
- Didn't connect with character(s), until mid way through and then only a little.
- Plot twists were more a mater of circumstances, character luck, not grand scheme like 'Ocean's Eleven'.
- Everyone swears the same, and in a detracting manner, all F bomb, piss, and sh*t
- It's a dark, gritty story, with no one in it having redeeming qualities, except the heroes a little towards the end.
- Gory, disturbing violence.
  MattMattYS | Nov 2, 2015 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible