The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence (1)

4,6222281,031 (4.24)3 / 433
Recently added byprivate library, ct.bergeron, nielsnej, simd, D.ThoursonPalmer, LopiCake, taisiia, leefitzy
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Poodlerat)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (220)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (228)
Lynch gets a few things very right. His dialog is clever and witty. In the first book he takes some time to get the story set up and going, it's a slow start. But once it gets going it stays intense. Though dark at times the wit brings a fun factor that helps keep the mood lighter in parts of the book. The author does kill off a couple characters which is very effective at raising the stakes in the book and makes you unsure as to how things with turn out since no one feels safe. The author also does a good job with parallel time in the book cutting into the past and then back to the present throughout the book. Many writers do this but Lynch does is it well and the past helps you understand the present as Lynch is actually telling two stories, a formula he repeats in subsequent books. Another thing Lynch does well is creating a sense of mystery about the main character and his past. He leaves you with questions that you continue to wonder what the answers might be. You're left curious but not terribly frustrated.

I rarely go back and review a book after not writing anything about it the first time around. But, in this case I gave copies to a friend for Christmas and another friend is also reading it as a result. I enjoyed this one enough to read the next two and looking forward to the fourth. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book on an entertainment level. It was well written and the plot was circuitous enough to maintain interest. While there are sequels to this novel it stands on its own. While there are sequels to this novel I do not feel inclined to hunt them down and read them, despite their presence in my house.

My two sons and one of my daughters encouraged me to read [The Lies of Locke Lamora] as they thought it was wonderful. I think the age difference between my children and me explains the different levels of delight in the novel. My having been reading for twenty-five to forty years more than the three people who wanted me to read the book explains why I was not bowled over by the book as much as they were.

The use of bad language was aimed at the rebellious streak in youth. I did not think the bad language served much purpose. The book would have been just as good without it. I felt it was unnecessary and if the author did think it necessary it should have been used more extensively.

When I am reading a book I like to find more than the story and the characters. I like to find things that stop me in my tracks and make me think; commentary on social issues; interesting turns of phrase. I did not find anything in Lies of that nature. There was one two-page section that gave an overview of the economic world as a series of arrangements between businesses and criminal gangs that work in a symbiotic fashion with the security forces turning a blind-eye when necessary to keep the economy working and the pockets of their members well lined with coin. While I do not deny the implication of Scott’s description I do not feel it was made in strong enough a fashion as to make it a significant part of the novel.

Some people may get upset that the novel does appear to glorify stealing, or at least treat it as a normal occupation. One has to go with the flow on this one. The turning robbery into a religion is another aspect one could get upset about. Again, go with the flow.

One of my pet peeves is writers ignoring the rule that the verb and subject should agree in person and number. Scott ignored this many times. While many of the occasions were in reported speech I do not see why authors persist in promoting common abuse of language when they could just as easily promote common correct use of language.

The novel was about the adventure and that is what one must focus on to enjoy it. Do not get too hung up on the detail, implausibility or improbability of some of the plot elements. The book is well written (with the specific exception noted above), entertaining, and it moves along with a good pace. It is good quality fantasy adventure. ( )
1 vote pgmcc | Feb 25, 2015 |
A con man and his gang while playing a con game find themselves caught up in a bigger conspiracy. But this is a fantasy novel set in the fantasy world of Camorr. Here there are dukes and priests and a guild of thieves.

This is Scott Lynch's first novel. What makes a fantasy novel good is the detailing of that world, the detailing of the surroundings and the people which the author has done very well. A 3/5 read. ( )
  mausergem | Feb 14, 2015 |
okay. um. Locke Lamora is awesome. and the Grey King is seriously messed up. and don't even think about approaching this book if you don't like violence or cussing.

and now I can officially add Lynch to my ever-growing list of authors I hate for making me cry in public because I hate crying in public. because come on, Lynch, was killing off Calo and Galdo and Bug really necessary? that was just mean. have a heart, man! ( )
1 vote IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Holy cow! It's like Oceans Eleven meets the 1500's. Filled with magic and sneak thievery, it sucks you right in and doesn't let go! ( )
  Kyle.Rose | Jan 5, 2015 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,159,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible