The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence (1)

4,768234980 (4.24)3 / 446
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    A Thief in the Night by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (225)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (233)
When it comes to works of fiction, these are a few of my very most absolute favourite things:

- Renaissance Italy
- Con artists
- High fantasy

The Lies of Locke Lamora just so happens to focus on a group of con artists going about their con artist ways, in a fantastical representation of what appears to be Renaissance Italy (Venice, in particular, was the vibe I got). So really, it was off to a winning start. All of my favourite things were present in droves, from Renaissance society and clever cons to cloak and dagger skirmishes and magic. The plot is exciting and well-paced, with twists aplenty to keep you turning the page.

An additional nice touch is the ending - no spoilers here, but the ending is conclusive. This is the first book in a series, and of course there are enough threads left dangling and questions left unanswered to make you want to go straight out and order book 2, but the story of book 1 remains self-contained. There's little more frustrating than getting to the end of a lengthy novel only to discover you've got to read another 600 pages or more in order to get any sort of resolution. If you love Lynch's world and characters, you're going to WANT to pick up the next book, but there's no need to. The ending of this first book is satisfying in its own right.

An acquaintance of mine reviewed this book by saying it felt as though it has been written "just for him", and I have to echo this sentiment here. I can't imagine much more I'd want from a book, and have already ordered book 2 to carry on the adventure. ( )
  clearillusion | Jul 26, 2015 |
gods. this books is so CRAZY. FUCKING. GOOD.

Firstly, I downright love the characters. The main one is of course Locke, who is a charming little bastard that so readily captures everyone's heart that I hate him for it. I really want to talk about the others too but I don't want to spoil it because it's just too much fun reading it! Next, down to Lynch's writing.. god, his writing is utterly beautiful. Especially when he describes sceneries with exquisite metaphors. ugh I feel like eating up the pages whenever he does so. Besides that, I also think Lynch also has a natural flair at keeping the story interesting throughout the whole book. Although he alternates between the present time and the past repeatedly, you won't get impatient because they're equally engrossing. I swear, the story just keeps getting more intriguing by each chapter that it keeps you on the edge of your seat!

I can't recommend this book enough. (It's totally underrated!!)
And I need the second book badly right now. Why is it not sold at my local book store?? ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
This book was great fun. I was engrossed from the very beginning, and my interest never wavered. I was invested in the characters, and happy to see strong female characters throughout the cast. I picked up the second book within minutes of finishing this one. ( )
  philosojerk | Jun 29, 2015 |
Welcome to Scott Lynch’s fantasy land: a grimy, dark and dangerous place. When the reader first meets Locke and the other Gentleman Bastards, they’re triggering a complex plan to strip an aristocrat couple of their wealth. It seems we’re in for a darkly humorous long con romp. But then this book turns into a blacker than black tale of revenge long brooded over. The plot has as many twists and turns as the city of Camorr itself. And there are some very painful (in more than one sense) deaths. It could be all too grim, if it wasn’t for the great characters and the sharply drawn relationships between the Gentleman Bastards. And the exquisite food. Just brilliant. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Jun 18, 2015 |
The Lies of Locke Lamora was something I'd heard a lot about, and it did not disappoint. It's rollicking, brutal, funny, and most of all quite clever. This is a really well-crafted book. It's got snappy dialogue, quick one-liners, and more schemes and twists than a Camorri thieves' den. The world building is amongst the best I've seen--in fact I'm planning a return trip for the Lynch's later outings. ( )
  D.ThoursonPalmer | May 26, 2015 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,498,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible