The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence (1)

5,338271822 (4.24)3 / 487
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (ajwseven)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (263)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (271)
After finally dragging myself through GRRM's last two published first drafts, I'd hoped to never read the terms "night soil" or "smallclothes" again. Optimism! What a dumb concept!

Somehow I ended up with a copy of the British version, which changed all the assholes to arseholes. I know some people like to get upset when their precious Londonne-Towne spellings are altered for American barbarism, but it goes both ways, nerds.

But hey, the story was pretty good. When reading books that need maps, I always appreciate a lack of dragons, elves, and deus-ex-machina magic shenanigans. Also, thank you, Scott Lynch, for deigning to include a real ending, unlike certain other fantasy brickmakers. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
loved this - exuberant & fun

2016 re-read: This book is excellent at world building, and defines swashbuckling. The story is told in a bitty way, the narrative interspersed with flashbacks to Locke Lamora's childhood, and training by Father Chains. The present say narrative encompasses an elaborate con on Don & Dona Salvara, a plot by the Grey King to overthrow the master of all the Right People, Capa Barsavi, and the mysterious Spider and the Midnighters. It is well thought out, with enough hints of a deeper story arc to come to make you wish for more and more. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
The Lies of Locke Lamora is a cracking fantasy-adventure story. It has endearingly roguish protagonists, lots of clever (and funny) dialogue and plenty of plot twists and turns, as befitting a story about a bunch of con-men (the Gentlemen Bastards). You never know what's going to happen next: who's going to be caught, who's going to turn up dead, who's going to get away with the loot. This makes it a fantastic page-turner: an excellent example of the art of populist storytelling. It even has a good old-fashioned swordfight (but with a notable and excellent twist) as the vicious revenge rampage reaches Inigo Montoya territory.

It's all incredibly good fun, but what's even more commendable is that it never compromises on substance when flouting all its impressive style. The fantasy elements – the world-building, the strange names and substances and locations – are present but never hinder the smooth running of the plot. Lynch has that knack of slipping all his lore into the dialogue and the descriptions with the same artful dexterity with which one of his Bastards might pickpocket an unfortunate mark. It's a great way to overcome the problems one can often have when first immersing oneself in a fantasy book. Sometimes, readers can struggle to adapt to the new worlds crafted for them; Lynch has created one which does not require a great deal of effort to slip into initially, but nevertheless fleshes out the world throughout the book so that by the end we have quite a detailed knowledge of the land of Camorr without much exertion on the reader's part. As someone who is occasionally daunted by the prospect of immersing oneself in a new fantasy world, I was particularly appreciative of Lynch's considerate approach.

You'll find other fantasy stories with greater depth, which balance their crowd-pleasing plots with strong hints towards a more nuanced exploration of the emotions of revenge, say, or the brotherhood of thieves. But you'll never feel those emotions with the same intensity as you do here. You are charmed by the brotherhood between the Gentlemen Bastards, and you burn with bloodlust as Locke goes about his revenge. The book has a brain, to be sure, but it is its heart which is larger. There's just this feeling you get when you read a great fantasy book that you just don't get from any other type of book, no matter how good it is. I think it's because the genre is ideally suited to appeal both to our adult self (the sophisticated lore, the labyrinthine plotlines, the grey morality) and to our inner child (the magic, the swordfights, the roguish characters). I got the full force of that uniquely exciting feeling when reading The Lies of Locke Lamora, and if you know what I'm talking about then it probably will do the same for you too. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
This book is a rollercoaster ride of clever twists and fantastic characters.  I loved it and will seek out more in this series.  ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
So I am not even sure how to begin my review of this one. This is a book that took me a couple of weeks to read. Unlike my books of late, which I have consumed quickly and hardly taken a breath, this book took its time with me. Part of me thinks, could this have been my enjoyment of the book, but in reality I know that that could not be further from the truth. This is a book that needs to be consumed slowly. This is a book to savor, to enjoy and to truly immerse oneself in. The writing simply deserves the time.

I have heard this book compared to the Ocean’s movies and I have to agree. It is difficult to summarize this book without giving too much of the story away. There are con artists, thieves, priests, nobles, dukes and even a spider. There is intrigue, lies, deception, elaborate costumes and disguises, and some wicked sorcery.

What I love is the ability to mix all of these qualities with a blend of murder and humor. Yes, humor. Scott Lynch is not one to shy away from killing off some key characters in this book, leaving you picking your jaw up off the floor. Pages later, I would find myself chuckling out loud in some much needed comic relief. The writing just rolled from emotion to emotion beautifully. I very much enjoyed the glimpses of the past while the story unfolded. These glimpses hold such critical clues that re-reading this book would make this book even more enjoyable. This, in particular, is very much like the Ocean’s Eleven movie. You needed to go back and see all the hidden gems left along your journey to truly appreciate even more the path you have been taken down.

Locke is intriguing to say the least but it is the others in his merry band of Gentleman Bastards whom stole the show for me. Jean is masterful and one of his quotes and scenes will go down as likely my favorite from the book.

“Mark my words, bitch. I’ve been wondering how I’d feel when this moment finally came, and I have to say, I think I’m going to feel pretty fucking good.

What more can I say? Read it!!
" ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,485,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible