The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastard Sequence (Book 1)

5,597276768 (4.24)3 / 506
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (ajwseven)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (268)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (275)
At 722 pages - this book was long. Very Very Long - but luckily, its lots of fun. Well crafted, well written, with very likable characters. While the themes and tone is completely different, the world building reminds me a lot of the game of thrones world, very well though of, with lots of details about the different countries and how they all fit together.

There is not a boring part of this book- it all works together, coming together nicely at the end. Its not afraid of killing off characters for narrative reasons. The Gentlemen Bastards are fun - a group of thieves living the good life - they enjoy being con artists, the money they receive is nice, but not the point.

The book also doesn't shy away from the darker aspects of a feudal like society. There is no easy ride, and punishment is swift, often times with lots of pain and torture before being killed.

Overall, a big book that has incredible world building but also well written, fully realized characters. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 16, 2017 |
Fun but brutal. Interesting fantasy world-building, with a vanished race and magic that add to the worldbuilding but don't overwhelm the plot. Nice detail, entertaining and likeable characters, good plotting, and enjoyable writing. Happy to pick up the sequels. ( )
  lquilter | Dec 3, 2016 |
Fantasy stories with a young thief as the protagonist are not uncommon. This one is, or at least it stands above the crowd. The world-building is exceptional and a bit different. The setting feels almost like early Renaissance Venice (to me, anyway, because of its powerful rival factions and preponderance of waterborne commerce)-- except with magic (which, thankfully, does not dominate the story) and the presence of mysterious ancient and possibly alien glass towers. But what really puts it above the pack is the interweaving of extremely clever and intricately complex plots in which different groups and characters attempt to outmaneuver, deceive, and exploit one another...that and the antagonists (and even their minions) are not universally stupid. I found both of these refreshing. This isn't just some 'action packed' fantasy adventure. There are lots of unexpected twists.
The tale is told in alternating chapters that show the protagonist, Locke Lamora, as a child, and years later as the leader of a small band of thieves pulling cons on the ultra-rich. This skipping back and forth in time is a bit distracting at first, but it works here by showing how events in Locke's past influence what he's doing later. Once you get used to it, it helps flesh out the character and clarify his motivations.

I'd recommend this one to all fantasy readers.

I picked up this book because it was a recommendation from a bookseller (if you like X, you may also like Y). I borrowed the Kindle edition I read from my local library. Alas, they don't have the second in the series in any edition, and it seems to be no longer in print. The first in the series was good enough to motivate me to check the used bookstores for the second. (The library has the third in paperback.)
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Well, as thieves are not my favorite characters, this book was probably never going to make it as a high star for me. Perhaps if I just really loved the character... I love the symmetry of the name Locke Lamora and the way it rolls off the tongue but Locke as a character didn't quite endear himself to me. The story was a good one though with good twists and intrigue. The world building was good too although I didn't see it go anywhere to completion. Supposedly this is the first in five books, but I doubt I will take the time to pick the next book up. However I am glad I finally got to it. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 1, 2016 |
This was very good once it got going, but didn't suck me in the way most fantasy novels do. ( )
  readlifeaway | Aug 21, 2016 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abercrombie, JoeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.

I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,756,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible