The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard,…

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) (edition 2006)

by Scott Lynch

7,630353815 (4.22)3 / 578
Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.
Member:walrii
Title:The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Authors:Scott Lynch
Info:Spectra, Kindle Edition, 752 pages

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (ajwseven)
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (foggidawn)
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: also features an underworld where a larger force disrupts business as usual
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: I thought the worlds/societies had a similar feel
    The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes (Luisali)
    Priest of Bones by Peter McLean (OwenRochester)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)

English (345)  German (3)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (353)
Not personally my exact cup of tea, but still damn good. good characterization, good action. Some of the interlude portions can be a little badly paced, but otherwise good. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
Fun adventure story with good characters and plenty of twists I didn't see coming. ( )
  jzacsh | Sep 9, 2020 |
This was an awesome book. I was consistently astounding by the antics of Locke Lamora and his crew and completely immersed in the world Scott Lynch built. I'm quite sure Lynch should be watched carefully at all times, the man has a criminal imagination. ( )
  ChaseBolling | Sep 8, 2020 |
Bit of a slow start, but pretty awesome plotting by the end. I cackled aloud at several points. I did think that everything wrapped up a bit too quickly. The world-building is stellar--fun, varied, interesting, and visually grand. The characterization is surprisingly thin, given the length of the story and its relatively intimate scale. The back-and-forth timeline didn't bother me until I saw the same thing in the sequel.

For stylish bravura, it reminds me of some mid-career Steven Brust. There's something missing. It's a fine, fun, fantasy, but I am left feeling unsatisfied -- maybe because I never felt like I got to know Locke? I am amused but unmoved by the story. ( )
  RJ_Stevenson | Aug 19, 2020 |
2020
The first entry in the series is a very fun soft magic approach to the genre, with a very charming cast, the sense of commodery excels in this book.
In therms of world building, Scott provides brief interludes (albeit very funny ones) permitting to fully develop the atmosphere of Camorr and it' history.
In therms of story, the book had major tonal shift in the mid-way point, i can see it being decisive for a lot of people weather they enjoyed the contrast or not.
The theme of revenge is central to the story, but doesn't really dive deeper than the 'You did something bad so i shall have my revenge' trope, but it served it's plot purpose.
All in a all a really solid fantasy book, doesn't try to be what it's not and it just wants to tell a fun story ( )
  mfalicoff | Aug 16, 2020 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abercrombie, JoeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.

I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Current discussions

The Gentlemen B*stards Sequence in FantasyFans

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible