The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora (edition 2007)

by Scott Lynch

4,849237954 (4.24)3 / 454
Title:The Lies of Locke Lamora
Authors:Scott Lynch
Info:Spectra (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook, fantasy, series

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    A Thief in the Night by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (229)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (237)
Generally a good read, with a really satisfying second half and a fun idea putting an Ocean's 11 story in a fantasy world. But the first half was pretty painful to get through. There's a LOT of history and character development before you really get to the main conflict. The author got bogged down in unnecessary details on food, clothing, etc. But it was good enough that I'll probably pick up the sequel when it comes out. ( )
  jaredhite1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
Locke Lamora is a young orphan taken off the streets by the organized crime gangs of Camorr. After a life-changing move from the street urchin gang to a more sophisticated criminal gang, his life takes a turn for the better. High stakes cons become the game and time after time Locke aka 'The Thorn' and his gang take from the rich and keep for themselves. When someone starts hunting down other criminals in Camorr's crime syndicate, Locke and his companions naturally become involved. Oceans Eleven meets The Sopranos in a vaguely Venice-like setting. Lots of people end up swimming with the fishes. Well written, but this trope has been done before and it didn't need to be done again. I just wasn't that impressed. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 6, 2015 |
Very well written book on the crime caper theme. The added twist here is that crime (imaginative) crime is almost a religious obligation for the characters concerned.
The most implausible part of the novel is the sheer amount of injury the main character can take and still survive to the end.
Still, it's good fun and I look forward to reading the next one. ( )
  JudithProctor | Aug 19, 2015 |
Hat down, and a bow for the amazing performance by the "Gentlemen Bastards"!

This book had it all, an amazing protagonist, a brilliant world in witch the story was set, an incredibly layered story that moved in a fast pace.

I loved the writing. I did. What struck me as a stroke of genius is the creative cussing going hand to hand with ridiculous aristocratic posturing and eloquence. It worked so well. It was funny.

“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”

Locke Lamora is a con-artist and an extremely talented thief. Lynch spins his tale with break-neck speed, flashing from one job to the next, Locke Lamora's past to the present. The incredible world-building is easily explained and followed, but detailed and intricate enough to make you appreciate the sheer amount of information and thought it went into the creation of it all.

The story doesn't focus on the criminal activity alone, in fact it's nuanced with politics and dangerous intrigue that Locke Lamora has to navigate in order to survive. It's that navigation, that balance between his many, many lies that makes this story so gripping and fun.

It was a clever, brilliant read. I've enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I’m ambivalent about The Lies of Locke Lamora. On the one hand, there were quite a few parts of the story that kept me reading, but, on the other hand, there were several when I easily put it down to read other books. I sometimes cared about the characters, but I also felt that I hadn’t gotten to know them well enough to be invested in them. The world building was fantastic, but there are a couple graphically violent scenes that put me off my lunch and made me reconsider continuing. I could continue with the waffling, but I’ll spare you. The main issue I had with this book is that I was apathetic about the story and the characters more often than not.

I wanted to love The Lies of Locke Lamora. I’ve read nothing but great things about it. It even has praise from George R.R. Martin right on the cover of the paperback edition I have. I looked forward to reading it. Now I just feel “meh” about it, and I’m probably not going to bother checking out the next book from the library. It’s very rare that I feel this way about a book. I either like it, love it, or hate it, and I usually have lots of opinions as to why. This book, however, is like one of those relationships you stay in far past their expiration date because you don’t have a good enough excuse to end it. I actually feel kind of guilty.

Due to a lack of solid feelings one way or another about this book, I’m not sure who to recommend should read it. I love Game of Thrones, and so I assumed I would love this book too, but I didn’t. If you’re a fan of darker, grittier Fantasy like Game of Thrones, try this one out for yourself. I sincerely hope you have better luck with it than I did. ( )
  ReadingWench | Aug 5, 2015 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible