The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora (edition 2007)

by Scott Lynch

Info:Spectra (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook, fantasy, series

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Melusine by Sarah Monette (Poodlerat)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (215)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (223)
The island city of Camorr is no place for an orphan. Street life is harsh and often short. The Theiftaker, master over one of the cities seedier sections, takes promising orphans under his wing to start them on a life of crime. His recent recruit, Locke Lamora, is too clever by half and has the Theiftaker in a quandary: he must either sell the boy or kill him. Working out a deal with a false priest the Theiftaker hands Locke over to Father Chains. But what has Locke done that the Theiftaker needed to be rid of him?

The Lies of Locke Lamora is the first in the Gentleman Bastards series and the first novel by Scott Lynch. Camorr is a fantasy stylization of medieval Venice complete with canals for streets and islands as various districts. Mob style crime lords rule the underworld while the nobility ignores the majority of what goes on in an agreement called the Secret Peace. The story focuses on Locke's current con while weaving back to his formative years, giving insight into how he became the criminal mastermind he is today.

The story has a slow build and is told almost exclusively from Locke's point of view. In the beginning I found myself enjoying the flackback sequences more than the main story. That all changes once things start to go wrong for our brave anti-hero. The worse Locke's situation became the more the story became a page turner.

Lynch pulls no punches. The story is gritty and sometimes brutal to the main characters. The violence is well placed given the world's set up. He also has a tendency to use swear words. Another review I read calling the book the fantasy love child of Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather is apt.

Overall I enjoyed the book. The ending has a nice twist. I look forward to reading more of Locke's adventures in the future. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Nov 29, 2014 |
I tried several times to read this, as friends told me it is a good book. Somehow, the writing style is just not for me, though. There were parts I liked reading, but it was alternated with large parts with city descriptions and (IMHO) cumbersome writing. I'm a bit sorry about it, because I understand there is a middle-aged female pirate in part 2, and I would have liked to see that. But it's not worth slogging through this one...
  zjakkelien | Oct 26, 2014 |
Oceans Eleven meets Game of Thrones meets Robin Hood. Clever dialogue, complicated plot (maybe a few too many plots twists). Satisfyingly hefty bit of fantasy reading. ( )
  borbet | Oct 21, 2014 |
The Lies of Locke Lamora,the first book in the Gentleman Bastard's trilogy by Scott Lynch.
4.5 stars

This was an excellent book for anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre.

Observations
- A fast paced story that really caught the imagination one it got past the back story part.
- Well developed characters that I enjoyed.
- Interesting magic system though a little sparse on the amount of people who are able to use it.
- Great buildup to a spectacular climax. Enough open lines to really make me look forward to the the next books in the series.
- The language used (especially the swear/cursing used) made me keep thinking that this was some alternate/future USA rather than (I think) the mythical fantasy world intended.

Really looking forward to reading the next books in the series. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Reread this book for the third time. Once to read it. Second time to set myself up for Red Skies. And now, the third time because of the Republic of Thieves.

I keep forgetting how good this book is! Even despite knowing the tricks and plots beforehand, I'm always shaking my head at how clever these Bastards are.

I love that Lynch doesn't make it easy for his characters. He puts them in crapholes and forces them to scheme their way out of it. I love it.

The flashbacks and present day plots are juggled very well. Inserts tension, inserts history. Well done.

Only slight flaws is that his descriptions are terribly boring and I find myself skimming through details of the city rather than soaking in images of setting.

It's easy to fall in love with these characters, that's all I can say.

3.5 stars. Not exactly a story that moves me, so it's hard to give it 4 stars. But I really might have to bump it up to 4 stars if I keep rereading it. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,433,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible