The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora (edition 2007)

by Scott Lynch

Info:Spectra (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook, fantasy, series

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    A Thief in the Night by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (MinaKelly)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (wisemetis)
    Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein (enrique_molinero)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (MinaKelly)

English (248)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (256)
The first thing I learned was that the title of this book refers to a person, not a place as I had assumed. Locke Lamora is an orphan raised in an Oliver Twistish world of thieves and pickpockets. When his reckless activities concern his master he is sold to the blind beggar Father Chains, who (mild spoiler) turns out to be neither blind nor a priest. Together with a small cadre of other orphans calling themselves the Gentlemen Bastards, Locke grows up to be an accomplished thief and conman, fiercely loyal to his friends but little else.

This story started out slowly with chapters alternating between his childhood training and his adult capers. About a third of the way in, though, it really picked up speed and kept it up all the way to the finish.

The character development was excellent and I really came to like Locke and his friends. The villains were also portrayed very well to the extent that it seemed unlikely that Locke would escape the predicaments he fell into.

Bottom line: I really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading the further adventures of The Gentlemen Bastards.
FYI: On a 5-point scale I assign stars based on my assessment of what the book needs in the way of improvements:
*5 Stars – Nothing at all. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
*4 Stars – It could stand for a few tweaks here and there but it’s pretty good as it is.
*3 Stars – A solid C grade. Some serious rewriting would be needed in order for this book to be considered great or memorable.
*2 Stars – This book needs a lot of work. A good start would be to change the plot, the character development, the writing style and the ending.
*1 Star - The only thing that would improve this book is a good bonfire. ( )
  Unkletom | Feb 11, 2016 |
Very good for a first novel.
If you were a fan of Thieves' World back in the 80's, you'll probably like this. Or if you are a fan of vicious yet endearing scoundrels and rogues in general.
It's not perfect - I think a linear timeline would have worked better for the story, rather than jumping between the main character's youth and the present. It was quite an omission that we never once meet the mentioned-but-always-offscreen love of Locke's life (the reader keeps expecting to find out how he fell in love with her, or to have her appear, but it doesn't happen. I also felt the whole thing could have been tightened up a bit - it's over 700 pages, which is fine if the story demands it, but I think it could probably have been 200 pages shorter without losing anything.
However, I enjoyed it. Lots of fun adventure, schemes, nice details. I liked the alien city, and its unsolved mysteries. I felt it was an original take on a familiar trope, and it kept me entertained. I'll keep a lookout for the sequel. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Wow, what a fun ride! You can't help but fall in love with every single one of the Gentleman Bastards, and with Locke Lamora in particular. Part SF and part Fantasy (the setting is both strangely Science Fiction, with elements of a mysterious former race of beings, the Elders, that left behind many structures and "elderglass", but also traditional fantasy as well, with it's highly stratified class society of dukes and nobles on down to peasants and beggars). But at its heart this is a mystery story, both the present-tense plot of the novel itself but also the backstory of Locke and his crew, which is revealed in alternating chapters. What starts out as a fun con being run by a crew who steal not so much for the money as much as the pure challenge of it changes quickly over to a much darker tale of politics, murder and the struggle to control the underworld of the city of Camorr. Locke is hopelessly swept along in the tides of change, and we have the pleasure of following along with him and the Gentlemen Bastards as they try to understand who is so upsetting the balance of their city, and more importantly, why.

Though the cast is mainly male, there are some very kick-ass women characters featured as well.

So much fun! I can't wait to continue on with this series. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Loved this audio book, recommended by Melisa. My husband and I listened to it together but he couldn't wait for me and listened ahead to the end. Gruesome, funny, fantastical, entertaining. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
This was an extremely good book and the narrator made it even better.
The story started a bit slowly, jumping from the start of the Gentlemen Bastards to the present, with their quite comfortable life and unfolding cons.
Then the Grey King arrives and everything changes.
The characters are very appealing, the world created is very distinct and very different. These are characters you end up caring for very much.
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.
I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358894X, Mass Market Paperback)

In this stunning debut, author Scott Lynch delivers the wonderfully thrilling tale of an audacious criminal and his band of confidence tricksters. Set in a fantastic city pulsing with the lives of decadent nobles and daring thieves, here is a story of adventure, loyalty, and survival that is one part Robin Hood, one part Ocean’s Eleven, and entirely enthralling.…

An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,171,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible