The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie…

The Immortal Highlander (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:BookLizard
Title:The Immortal Highlander
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Delacorte Press (2004), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:paranormal romance, fae, lawyers

The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning (2004)

Recently added byprivate library, zuzamiller, minderz95, TheYodamom, GanneC

English (24)  German (1)  All languages (25)
Adam Black's romantic story.. need I say more ? ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book was fantastic, and I cant wait to read more of her work. The guy in this book is just ...YUM!!Wow. Anyway,A MUST for all PR fans!! ( )
  JoBDo | Jan 2, 2016 |
I love Adam Black. I've loved him in all the previous novels, and quite enjoy him as a character. Though I think I like the idea of him more than the actual reality.

And the plot of this romance is pretty interesting. Adam's invisible punishment, Darroc hunting him, Gabrielle the sidge seer. Interesting stuff. There's just not a whole lot of. Mostly it's Gabrielle moping over her life or Adam thinking about all the sexy things he wants to do to her.

The climax of the plot also was severely lacking. It just ended. Yay.

I don't want to go on some feminist tirade or anything because it's not really my style, but I'm so sick of so many aspects of typical romance novels. They're literally all the same. All the females are petite, voluptuous virgins who have no money and typically no family to speak of. They're all alone with no one to care for them.

And the men are huge, confident, NOT virgins, full of wealth (legitimate or otherwise), and full of love.

What about the middle-class six-foot woman with a flat chest? Or the virgin girl who doesn't somehow know all about sex despite being a virgin? What about the virgin man? Maybe a love story that didn't involve being treated to expensive clothes and gifts and jewelry and food? Money isn't that important.

Maybe I'm just the wrong audience for a romance novel? But come on, guys, sometimes I want a happy love story too. Someone write an original one for goodness sake.

Also if I ever hear or read the word "sumptuous" again I might stab the culprit. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Dec 31, 2015 |
Satisfying overall, it just missed something the MacKeltar ones before it had. It was interesting to see how Adam handled situations as a 'human.' ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Adam Black was punished by the fairy queen for embarrassing her in front of the counsel of other fairies. For showing the queen up, Adam is stripped of almost all of his fae powers, made mortal, and made invisible to humans and all other fae is made invisible to him. So Adam’s stuck walking around in present day USA, playing tricks on mortals. Like stealing their food in restaurants or taking old ladies purses for the amusement of seeing their confused expressions. But even that has gotten quite boring for him, so now he’s pretty much just pissed and trying to think of a way to get the queen to give him back his powers.

One night, while Adam’s pouting on a bench about his predicament, Gabrielle O’Callaghan stumbles upon him. Gabby has THE SIGHT! She can see the fae people, but because her kind is usually captured and/or killed by the fae for this, she’s been trained to pretend that she doesn’t see them. But when she catches a glimpse of Adam lounging around on the bench outside of her work, all her years of ignoring the fae flies out the window because she just stands there and stares at the purrty fairy. After a huge description of Adam’s gorgeousness (I swear it went on for 3 pages) he finally takes notice that a pretty woman is staring at him.

As usual Moning gives a great hero, but a less than great heroine. Gabby has too many pity parties and idiot moments in this book for me to really like her, but I at least understood why she was doing everything she did. And most of the time I couldn’t quite blame her for doing something stupid or moping around, because if I was in that situation I’d be tempted to do the same thing. As for Adam, he’s a little darker than Moning’s other heroes, but I still would’ve liked him to be a bit more underhanded or something. But I still really loved Adam in this book and was glad to see that his personality didn’t change into something completely different that what we had saw in the previous books.

One thing that I really didn’t like about this book was that Adam doesn’t remain fae. I didn’t want him human, because I liked fae Adam so much. I liked knowing he’d probably pop up in every book in the series and cause some trouble. But now, there shall be no more of that. Also, what the hell was up with him getting a soul at the end?! I knew it was coming, Moning wasn’t about to end it by saying “And they lived to be 100 until they both croaked. Gabby went to heaven and Adam just… died.” But I seriously didn’t understand why Adam got a soul and the other fae that got turned human didn’t. Or any other fae who’d get turned human wouldn’t get one. I DON’T UNDERSTAND! It was too convenient for me. I wanted an explanation as to why. And how boring is it that our heroine got a white picket fence kind ending? I didn’t think it suited Adam very much or even Gabby for that matter. They practically got turned into the nuclear family. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |

Karen Marie Moningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gigante, PhilReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Arvor, Nellie d'Traductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gailová, LuciaSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Adam Black stood in the central chamber of the stone catacombs beneath The Belthew Building and watched as Chloe Zanders stumbled about, searching for her Highland lover, Dageus MacKeltar.
"Never has a mortal woman lived and breathed who could say no to a bit of fairy tail" - Adam

"Brutality is the refuge of the dull of the mind, Kalyrra. Only a fool conquers when he might instead seduce" adam

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440237564, Mass Market Paperback)

Enter a world of timeless seduction, of ancient intrigue and modern-day passion. Enter the dazzling world of Karen Marie Moning, whose acclaimed Highlander novels have captivated readers, spanning the continents and the centuries, bringing ancient Scotland vividly to life. In a new novel brimming with time-travel adventure and sensual heat, the nationally bestselling author of The Dark Highlander delivers a love story that will hold you in thrall—and a hero you will most certainly never forget.

BEWARE: lethally seductive alpha male of immense strength and dark eroticism, do not look at him. Do not touch him. Do not be tempted. Do not be seduced.

With his long, black hair and dark, mesmerizing eyes, Adam Black is Trouble with a capital T. Immortal, arrogant, and intensely sensual, he is the consummate seducer, free to roam across time and continents in pursuit of his insatiable desires. That is, until a curse strips him of his immortality and makes him invisible, a cruel fate for so irresistible a man. With his very life at stake, Adam’s only hope for survival is in the hands of the one woman who can actually see him.

Enter law student Gabrielle O’Callaghan, who is cursed with the ability to see both worlds: Mortal and Faery. From the moment she lays eyes on this stunning male, Gabby is certain of one thing: He could be her undoing. Thus begins a long, dangerous seduction. Because despite his powerful strength and unquenchable hungers, Adam refuses to take a woman by force. Instead, he will tease his way into Gabby’s bed and make her want him just as he wants her.

Now, no matter how hard Gabby tries to avoid him, Adam is everywhere, invisible to all but her—perched atop her office cubicle in too-tight jeans, whispering softly from behind the stacks of the law library, stealing her breath away with his knowing smile…all the while tempting her with the promise of unimaginable pleasure in his arms. But soon danger will intrude on this sensual dance. For as Adam’s quest to regain his immortality plunges them into a world of timeless magic and the deadly politics of the Faery queen’s court, the price of surrender could be their very lives. Unless they can thwart the conspiracy that threatens both mortal and Faery realms…and give them a shot at a destiny few mortals ever know: glorious, wondrous, endless love.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Fae Adam Black was made mortal by the queen of the Seelie Court when he meddled in the affairs of humans once too often. Now he is arguing for a revocation of the curse with lawyer Gabrielle O'Callaghan to plead his case.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,104,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible