Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey…

Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey (2007)

by Alison Weir

Recently added byBookends02, carolgauld, private library, ciyoda, yokutwoman, PSturgill, curlyseashell, mmoj, Rena37
    Nine Days a Queen: The Short Life and Reign of Lady Jane Grey by Ann Rinaldi (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about the 9 day reign of Lady Jane Grey.
    Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman (lanaing)
    A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell (shamicnic)
    shamicnic: This is another historical fiction piece that readers may enjoy.
    The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (shamicnic)
    shamicnic: This historical fiction book preceeds "Innocent Traitor" by telling the story of Anne Boleyn from the intriguing point of view of her sister, Mary Boleyn.

I love Alison Weir, though I haven't read nearly as many of her books as I would have liked to.

I actually started reading this book last year, and didn't finish it before I had to return it to the library. This time, I started again from the beginning & finished in just a few days.

This is the story of Lady Jane Grey, the very young, naive queen of just 9 days. Forced to live her entire life under the rule of manulative, even abusive, parents, she ended up marrying a man she didn't love (or even like) and worse yet, convinced to become Queen of England.

The book is told in multiple voices (a story telling device I do not like). Most of the book, this is fine, but I had issues in the beginning, with Jane's voice being very adult, even when she was only a few years old. Yes, she was supposedly very mature as a child, but it was hard to like her as a child when she spoke with such an adult voice.

The book is pretty factual - there are a few interesting speculations in the book that Weir concludes, but for the most part, this is pretty true historical fiction & Weir takes on a new genre well (this is her first historical fiction novel).

Jane's story is especially compelling at the end - even though I know how her tragic tale will end, you still hope that Queen Mary will pardon her on the same. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
With Innocent Traitor Alison Weir has made a seamless transition from writing about history to writing historical fiction. Her characters are vividly drawn and her attention to historical detail is, as would be expected, impressive. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
This book went by too fast. I loved Jane, understood her. Unlike so many other women of her status, she just wanted to be left alone with her books. I can relate. But no, her awful parents had to elevate themselves through her. I loved this character so much, she was so rich in detail that I was wishing that Alison Weir would use her creative license and let Jane escape her beheading.

I thought that the story told through so many different viewpoints enabled the reader to get a more "true" picture of the events that happened.

I would highly recommend this book to those who love the historical fiction genre, perhaps even those who have just a slight curiousity about the Tudors. ( )
  stacykurko | Oct 29, 2015 |
In her author’s note Alison Weir states that, “It is my sincere hope that the story that has unfolded in these pages has both enthralled and appalled you, the reader.” Well, from this reader’s perspective, I was engaged whilst at times enthralled, and many elements certainly appalled me.

I knew the main gist of Lady Jane Grey’s life story before reading this novel about her. What Ms Weir succeeds in doing is making Jane more “real”, rather than a figure in a history book with a genuine claim for the throne, her mother being daughter of Henry VIII’s sister, making Jane great-granddaughter of Henry VII.

In this tome we see Jane from her birth to her death and feel sympathy for her throughout. Her mother and father would never receive a “parents of the year award”, that’s for sure. They’re as easy to dislike as Jane is easy to feel fond of.

One quote that sums up Jane’s childhood is this:

>It is not often that I give way to tears of self-pity, but it seems that my life stretches out before me as one long, unending tunnel of misery.Was ever a condemned prisoner as innocent as this? ( )
  PhilSyphe | Sep 18, 2015 |
'If my faults deserve punishment, my youth at least, and my imprudence, were worthy of excuse. God and posterity will show me more favour.

Written by Lady Jane Grey in the Tower of London,
February 1554
This book
is dedicated to
my dear mother
and to Jim
who has been a father to me.

It is also dedicated
to Samuel Marston
to mark his first birthday.
It is over.

I am now a condemned traitor . . . I am to die when I have hardly begun to live.

Historical expertise marries page-turning fiction in Alison Weir’s enthralling debut novel, breathing new life into one of the most significant and tumultuous periods of the English monarchy. It is the story of Lady Jane Grey–“the Nine Days’ Queen”–a fifteen-year-old girl who unwittingly finds herself at the center of the religious and civil unrest that nearly toppled the fabled House of Tudor during the sixteenth century.

The child of a scheming father and a ruthless mother, for whom she is merely a pawn in a dynastic game with the highest stakes, Jane Grey was born during the harrowingly turbulent period between Anne Boleyn’s beheading and the demise of Jane’s infamous great-uncle, King Henry VIII. With the premature passing of Jane’s adolescent cousin, and Henry’s successor, King Edward VI, comes a struggle for supremacy fueled by political machinations and lethal religious fervor.

Unabashedly honest and exceptionally intelligent, Jane possesses a sound strength of character beyond her years that equips her to weather the vicious storm. And though she has no ambitions to rule, preferring to immerse herself in books and religious studies, she is forced to accept the crown, and by so doing sets off a firestorm of intrigue, betrayal, and tragedy.

Alison Weir uses her unmatched skills as a historian to enliven the many dynamic characters of this majestic drama. Along with Lady Jane Grey, Weir vividly renders her devious parents; her much-loved nanny; the benevolent Queen Katherine Parr; Jane’s ambitious cousins; the Catholic “Bloody” Mary, who will stop at nothing to seize the throne; and the protestant and future queen Elizabeth. Readers venture inside royal drawing rooms and bedchambers to witness the power-grabbing that swirls around Lady Jane Grey from the day of her birth to her unbearably poignant death. Innocent Traitor paints a complete and compelling portrait of this captivating young woman, a faithful servant of God whose short reign and brief life would make her a legend.

“An impressive debut. Weir shows skill at plotting and maintaining tension, and she is clearly going to be a major player in the . . . historical fiction game.”
–The Independent

“Alison Weir is one of our greatest popular historians. In her first work of fiction . . . Weir manages her heroine’s voice brilliantly, respecting the past’s distance while conjuring a dignified and fiercely modern spirit.”
–London Daily Mail

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

A fictional portrait of Lady Jane Grey, the great-niece of Henry VIII, follows her turbulent life against the backdrop of Tudor power politics and religious upheaval, from her youth, to her nine-day reign as Queen of England, to its tragic aftermath.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible