Bloodline by Kate Cary

Bloodline (2005)

by Kate Cary

3201134,663 (3.4)8

In this story told primarily through journal entries, a British soldier in World War I makes the horrifying discovery that his regiment commander is descended from Count Dracula.
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
It captured me from the beginning. Although it was not quite as fast reading and exciting as some other books I read, I enjoyed the historic period it took place as well as the more sophisticated English. It moved in a nice pace and I look forward to the next book. ( )
  Shmuel0001 | May 7, 2015 |
  skay0001 | May 3, 2015 |
The story was well done. Written in the same style as Bram Stoker's Dracula. It is a very easy read. I love a good tragedy sometimes. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
One for the Dracula fans who will probably see more references in this than I did.

Basically it's a World War I story about the next generation. John Shaw arrives in the hospital Mary Seward works in, she liked him from afar when she saw him years ago and she's curious to see what reduced him to a catonic state so she reads his diary of the period and finds that he was disturbed by the actions of his superior, Quincey Harker. whose bloodthirst on the battlefield seems to have been quite literal..

When Harker appears at the Shaw family home and John's sister, Lily becomes attracted to him their lives will never be the same again. Twists and turns lead them to Transylvania and an inheritance of blood.

It's not bad, echoes of it's pulp forbearer roots and it does have some interesting nods to the source novel. Characters are a little colourless and the motives of several don't seem apparent. A quick read but I'm not really motivated to read the sequel. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 31, 2013 |
For Deborah Smith
Blood from last night's raid has hardly dried on my uniform.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible