Sammy and the Dinosaurs by Ian Whybrow

Sammy and the Dinosaurs (2007)

by Ian Whybrow

For me, the adult co-reader, this is a ho-hum story about a kid who loves his toy dinosaurs. He loses them and gets them back. It gets a bit supernatural because it's possible the dinosaurs can whisper into Harry's ear.

My six-year-old daughter knows a little boy who is equally obsessed by dinosaurs (in fact he has taught her a number of dinosaur facts). She also has the experience of losing a precious toy while out, though in her case she never did get teddy back. Harry's loss evoked empathy and she enjoyed the story. ( )
  LynleyS | Oct 11, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading Sammy and the Dinosaurs by Ian Whybrow. My favorite thing about the book is how the author brought to life the Dinosaurs. Whenever Sammy would talk to the Dinosaurs, the Dinosaurs would answer him back and talk to him. Ian Whybrow also did a great job of describing the connection between Sammy and the Dinosaurs for example, whatever Sammy did, the Dinosaurs did. The Dinosaurs went to bed when he did; they went shopping, to the beach, to the garden, and even had a bath.
For me, the big idea of the story is to never stop using your imagination. Sammy was the only one who could talk to the Dinosaurs, he would try to explain things to his grandmother of what they had said to him, but his grandmother would just tell him it was a lie and wouldn’t let him use his imagination. ( )
  Jillian_Magee | Sep 15, 2014 |
In this book, Harry finds some dinosaurs in his grandma's attic. He fixes them and cleans them up. He takes them everywhere with him. When he leaves them on a train one day, he becomes upset and goes back to look for them.

I enjoyed this book. I have so many children come through my class that love dinosaurs so I can really relate to Harry who loves his dinosaurs.

I would do a big extension after reading this book. I would let the children paint with dinosaur sponges, put dinosaurs in the water table for the children to wash, do a dinosaur dig outside. There are so many things that can be done with dinosaurs.
1 vote cricket2574 | Feb 13, 2010 |
One day Sammy finds box full of dinosaurs in the attic while helping his grandmother with cleaning. He goes to the library to learn about his dinosaurs and he gives his dinosaurs proper names. He takes them everywhere he goes, he talks with them, and they even talk back to him. One day he goes on a train with his grandmother and looses his dinosaurs. His grandmother takes him to train’s lost and found. He realizes that his dinosaurs are there and he feels very happy again for reuniting with his dinosaurs. ( )
  perihan | Oct 26, 2008 |
Harry finds toy dinosaurs in the attic that come to life when he names each one.
  BVstorytime | Jun 18, 2007 |

Sammy and the Dinosaurs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,607,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible