I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi…

I Do Not Come to You by Chance (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani

Info:Phoenix (2010), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:zb2011, zfbubl, zr2011, nigeria, africa, 419ers, 2010, humor, zgone, zgox

I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani (2009)

Recently added byphoebemary, KelMunger, turtlesleap, ushatten, private library, debbiew

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
This novel provides a look inside a culture that fostered the e-mail scams and takes a hard look at the human choices we make between right and wrong, where they lead us and how difficult it can be to be moral and right-thinking when it isn't getting you anywhere. There's humor here, and gentle sarcasm, good characters, a richness of background. Well worth reading. ( )
  turtlesleap | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is the second book by a Nigerian author that I’ve read this year, and although I’ve given it the same rating I issued Half of a Yellow Sun, this one has a completely different tone.

Set in modern Nigeria, this book follows Kingsley Ibe, a young village man, who wants to fulfill the responsibilities of oldest son and is encouraged to do so by his traditional parents, who think that education is still the way to a well-paying job. But rapid changes in modern society have altered “the rules” and Kingsley finds himself turning to a black sheep uncle who involves him in 419 schemes. Despite the subject matter, this novel is almost light-hearted – and outstandingly enjoyable.

Read this if: you’re interested in those ubiquitous emails scams from the “other” side. 4½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 13, 2014 |
In this novel we meet the larger than life characters behind the Nigerian email scams – the so-called 419ers. It isn’t a book that seeks to excuse, justify or apologise for this lucrative “business”, what it provides is a perspective on it: an African perspective. As the central character Kingsley, an upstanding and educated citizen, struggling to find employment and battling with the vagaries of the Nigerian health system, finds himself sucked into the life of the fraudster, it is hard not to empathise with him.

I loved the author’s writing style. She has a way of describing things that is flamboyant and fun and which hits the mark perfectly. For example, the bit where Kingsley is called upon to read his friend’s self-published book: “...At least nine muscular typographical errors rose from the page and gave me a slap across the face”. That gave me a laugh as well as a wry smile of solidarity. Who in this modern world of publishing for all hasn’t had such an experience?

The author’s mischievous wit finds its mark brilliantly when aimed at the West – it holds up a mirror and invites us to confront our own misconceptions about Africans, and consider how they might view us. It was an enjoyable and eloquent education, and already a front-runner for my read of the year. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jan 14, 2014 |
An interesting tale of a young Nigerian, his life choices and the world of the "419" scams. The tone is light and often amusing whilst dealing with questions of morality and changing culture ( )
  Roobee1 | May 29, 2013 |
  Roobee1 | May 29, 2013 |
to my parents...Chief Chukwuma Hope Nwaubani Chief Mrs Patricia Uberife Nwaubani
People in the villages seemed to know everything.

Searching for an engineering job that will enable him to support his family, recent Nigerian university graduate Kingsley turns in desperation to his uncle, who runs a successful e-mail scam company and who reveals unexpected consequences for the cash loan Kingsley has reluctantly accepted.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible