I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi…

I Do Not Come to You by Chance (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani

Member:Minthe
Title:I Do Not Come to You by Chance
Authors:Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Info:Phoenix (2010), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:zb2011, zfbubl, zr2011, nigeria, africa, 419ers, 2010, humor, zgone, zgox

I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani (2009)

English (17)  German (1)  All languages (18)
Excellent novel about a young well-educated man in Nigeria who is frustrated to find that even with his university degree he's not able to take on his responsibilities as the first son--providing for his parents and siblings. When tragedy strikes his family he turns to a wealthy uncle who makes his money, among other ways, through 419 scams, those ubiquitous emails promising untold riches in exchange for bank account information.

I've read a number of African novels lately that I had some trouble "getting the rhythm of" if that makes sense--although I've enjoyed them--and I can't tell if that's because I am inexperienced with African novels or because of the writing. (I think the former is most likely.) In this case this Western reader at least had no problem like that. I learned a lot about what goes on behind those spam emails--something I'd never really thought of before--and the depiction of life in Nigeria, especially for those who are not wealthy seems pretty accurate. ( )

CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
This novel provides a look inside a culture that fostered the e-mail scams and takes a hard look at the human choices we make between right and wrong, where they lead us and how difficult it can be to be moral and right-thinking when it isn't getting you anywhere. There's humor here, and gentle sarcasm, good characters, a richness of background. Well worth reading. ( )
  turtlesleap | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is the second book by a Nigerian author that I’ve read this year, and although I’ve given it the same rating I issued Half of a Yellow Sun, this one has a completely different tone.

Set in modern Nigeria, this book follows Kingsley Ibe, a young village man, who wants to fulfill the responsibilities of oldest son and is encouraged to do so by his traditional parents, who think that education is still the way to a well-paying job. But rapid changes in modern society have altered “the rules” and Kingsley finds himself turning to a black sheep uncle who involves him in 419 schemes. Despite the subject matter, this novel is almost light-hearted – and outstandingly enjoyable.

Read this if: you’re interested in those ubiquitous emails scams from the “other” side. 4½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 13, 2014 |
to my parents...Chief Chukwuma Hope Nwaubani Chief Mrs Patricia Uberife Nwaubani
People in the villages seemed to know everything.

Searching for an engineering job that will enable him to support his family, recent Nigerian university graduate Kingsley turns in desperation to his uncle, who runs a successful e-mail scam company and who reveals unexpected consequences for the cash loan Kingsley has reluctantly accepted.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,039,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible