I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi…

I Do Not Come to You by Chance (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani

Member:Minthe
Title:I Do Not Come to You by Chance
Authors:Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Info:Phoenix (2010), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:zb2011, zfbubl, zr2011, nigeria, africa, 419ers, 2010, humor, zgone, zgox

I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, ParadisePorch, swilson, KoobieKitten, Devlindusty

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
This is the second book by a Nigerian author that I’ve read this year, and although I’ve given it the same rating I issued Half of a Yellow Sun, this one has a completely different tone.

Set in modern Nigeria, this book follows Kingsley Ibe, a young village man, who wants to fulfill the responsibilities of oldest son and is encouraged to do so by his traditional parents, who think that education is still the way to a well-paying job. But rapid changes in modern society have altered “the rules” and Kingsley finds himself turning to a black sheep uncle who involves him in 419 schemes. Despite the subject matter, this novel is almost light-hearted – and outstandingly enjoyable.

Read this if: you’re interested in those ubiquitous emails scams from the “other” side. 4½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 13, 2014 |
In this novel we meet the larger than life characters behind the Nigerian email scams – the so-called 419ers. It isn’t a book that seeks to excuse, justify or apologise for this lucrative “business”, what it provides is a perspective on it: an African perspective. As the central character Kingsley, an upstanding and educated citizen, struggling to find employment and battling with the vagaries of the Nigerian health system, finds himself sucked into the life of the fraudster, it is hard not to empathise with him.

I loved the author’s writing style. She has a way of describing things that is flamboyant and fun and which hits the mark perfectly. For example, the bit where Kingsley is called upon to read his friend’s self-published book: “...At least nine muscular typographical errors rose from the page and gave me a slap across the face”. That gave me a laugh as well as a wry smile of solidarity. Who in this modern world of publishing for all hasn’t had such an experience?

The author’s mischievous wit finds its mark brilliantly when aimed at the West – it holds up a mirror and invites us to confront our own misconceptions about Africans, and consider how they might view us. It was an enjoyable and eloquent education, and already a front-runner for my read of the year. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jan 14, 2014 |
An interesting tale of a young Nigerian, his life choices and the world of the "419" scams. The tone is light and often amusing whilst dealing with questions of morality and changing culture ( )
  Roobee1 | May 29, 2013 |
  Roobee1 | May 29, 2013 |
Edit Look what I got today! See below

An alternately amusing and serious book on the Nigerian scam of emails that promise you millions of dollars if only you help the poor man/widow/cancer victim get the money out of the country. But this is written from the point of view of a well-educated but relatively poor Nigerian lad who has responsibilities to support his family. Its a very light read, quite well written and with a cast of some very colourful and more-or-less-believable characters. Although its light fiction, because of the vast cultural differences, it left me with plenty to reflect on.

What is a person to do when he cannot get work, any work, let alone work commensurate with his qualifications and his family must eat and there is no welfare state? He must either condemn his family to a very low level of existence that might include begging, he might indebt himself to loan sharks and eventually end up begging, he might steal or - given the opportunity - scam individuals living far away in the first world countries of immense riches. And if the right people are paid-off, up to and including politicians, there is no danger of any punishment, so why not? He is as contemptuous of his marks as we are of them - people whose greed is equal to their wealth and stupidity - and really deserve no sympathy. If we ever hear of anyone falling victim to one of those email scams we laugh and think 'what an idiot' and so does he.

However, our hero never failed to have doubts about the morals of what he did but at the end when he appears to have repented (now he's very rich) comes a surprise he sets up an internet cafe that looks completely legitimate but is for the purpose of 'industrialising' this scam that had me saying streuuups sucking my teeth. And laughing.

Edit February 12th, 2013
Look what I got today in my inbox.

"I am Barr. Richard Spencer residing in Accra-Ghana,a personal attorney to late Mr.Robert ,a nationality of your country who died in tragic motor accident by running into a stationery Trailer without warning sign on December 26 , 2006.

I have contacted you to assist in repatriating his fund valued at USD$45,200,000.00 left behind by my late client before it gets confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Security Finance Firm where this huge amount were deposited.

Reply to my private email address for more details: richrdspencer1790@gmail.com"

Anyone want to write to him :-D ?
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
to my parents...Chief Chukwuma Hope Nwaubani Chief Mrs Patricia Uberife Nwaubani
People in the villages seemed to know everything.

Searching for an engineering job that will enable him to support his family, recent Nigerian university graduate Kingsley turns in desperation to his uncle, who runs a successful e-mail scam company and who reveals unexpected consequences for the cash loan Kingsley has reluctantly accepted.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,523,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible