Unholy ghosts by Stacia Kane

Unholy ghosts (edition 2009)

by Stacia Kane

Member:AFaith
Title:Unholy ghosts
Authors:Stacia Kane
Info:New York : Del Rey/Ballantine Books, c2009.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:to-read, GRimport

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1) by Stacia Kane

Recently added byrena75, LondonLori, kat_the_bookcat
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (reconditereader)
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (flemmily)
    flemmily: More of a pulp novel feel, but another gritty, dystopian setting. The main character also deals with ghosts.
    Benighted by Kit Whitfield (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: There is a similar feel between these two books - both books deal with a world with one church and a small group of special people who work for the Church, both very much needed, but scorned by the rest of the population.
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (GirlMisanthrope)
    Tainted by Julie Kenner (TheLibraryhag)
    The Naming Of The Beasts by Mike Carey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit gritty and have interesting lead characters that deal with ghosts and hauntings.
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (flemmily)
    flemmily: Similar dystopian setting, similar dark tone.
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (leahsimone)

English (84)  German (1)  All languages (85)
***Possible spoilers you’ve been warned***

I really enjoyed the world building in this book and wished there was a little more explanation about it. You do get snippets here and there on what happened with the world and why the Church came on top and in charge of the city. The setting is wonderful though. It’s dark, it’s gritty, it’s survival. It’s what you might see from a cyberpunk novel without the futuristic theme.

The plot itself is interesting thanks to the setting. It’s a nice blend of old and new. I say old because of the way the characters talk. It’s meant to be a form of street slang, but it also sounds a mixture of old english and modern. It’s interesting and fun to read (if you have a crush on Lex you’d like it). There is an element of mystery and I like the magic used. It’s a nice blend of using tattoos and actual spell components.

Chess is likable as a character. She’s hard working and is good at what she does, despite her faults and vices. The vices do play a big part on her behavior and takes a hold of her life. She still manages to soldier through her tasks and proves to be a fighter.

There is an aspect of a love triangle in the book although I’m not sure if it could be called that. I don’t see Terrible as a love interest at all, I see him more as a loyal friend and the muscle of the duo. Lex on the other hand - so swoon worthy if you’re into the bad boys. He’s self serving and most likely not a good thing for Chess but they both got this spark. Maybe it’s because of their backgrounds and they’re similar but they get along so well and Lex has this subtle charm about him (let’s not even compare him to Doyle)

This is a must read for urban fantasy fans. It’s got a bit of everything and Chess is such a great character to follow through the journey. Will definitely go onto the second book of the series. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Sep 13, 2018 |
Chess is one damaged heroine!!! I really liked this despite what I suspect to be an emerging love triangle - I hate those. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
DNF

This was not a fit for me - Way too gritty and dark - I didn't even make it through 5% ( )
  SuzieBookLover | Jun 23, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I love a heroine who kicks butt and take prisoners, and Chess doesn't disappoint. I wouldn't have minded a little more depth and complication in the plot, but it was far from boring. And I'm looking forward to reading more in the series soon! ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |

Stacia Kaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Cori. Not just my best friend, but my best reader. Her enthusiasm for this book in its earliest stages and beyond kept me going; her friendship kept me sane.
Had the man in front of her not already been dead, Chess probably would have tried to kill him.

THE DEPARTED HAVE ARRIVED.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

"The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She's got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: she owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump's ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah"--Cover p. [4].… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stacia Kane's book Unholy Ghosts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,569,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible